Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Nidaros Cathedral

agep

• Admin

You are a madman for the details Stian.

I noticed the windows up on the top left of the attached image are all different. Wow.

I've been thinking a lot about animation backgrounds of late and so I grabbed your screenshot to do a test.

Apologies for that but it did satisfy my curiosity while allowing me to further enjoy your extreme detailing.

Just like with the real building I'm sure... words fail.

Perhaps the best way to complement your incredible work is to use it to illustrate its own detail.

Edit: With regard to the pan background test. You have to imagine a character or two being over the top of the background. The characters appearing to walk stage right out of the darkness toward the light (head an shoulder shot) while the background is moved stage left.

nidaros.JPG

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

Stian

Incredible!! You mention you combine in the chor. so each section is a seperate model? how do you line it up in the chor? Is there a large slow down in the chor?

I was wondering about the tiles on the roof, do the tiles run up and down like that on the real cathedral?

Steve

Beautiful work Stian! How many models comprise the Cathedral?
It is 25 separate models at the moment

You mention you combine in the chor. so each section is a seperate model? how do you line it up in the chor? Is there a large slow down in the chor?
I combine them in an action (action objects), so when in the chor I simply drag and drop the action onto the basemodel. The framerate in the chor (and the action) is very slow, about 3-4 second per frame in shaded and 1-2 in wire

I was wondering about the tiles on the roof, do the tiles run up and down like that on the real cathedral?
Up and down? The tiles are rectangular running vertically

Hey Stian- loving the cathedral!

I am working on a model that has gotten to about 10,000 patches and now the model reacts very,very slowly whenever I make a new CP or copy paste. I was wondering if you have any advice for keeping a model's 'tactile-responsiveness' once the patch count grows...or is it just best to start another model once things slow, and combine them in action-objects... ?

At what count does your models start to slow?

YOU THE MAN!

or is it just best to start another model once things slow, and combine them in action-objects... ?
Yup, but I sometimes merges two or more models when they are finished, so they are total ends at 30-60K

At what count does your models start to slow?
between 10-15K

• Admin
model over in a fresh model and copy paste into the main

That doesn't sound right Matt.

Copy/Paste can take considerable time and is more reliant upon available memory.

Is that the way you are doing the merging Stian?

I assumed you were Exporting from the Action to merge the Model and Action Object.

Or... assembling them in a Chor and Exporting them into one Model from there.

Is that the way you are doing the merging Stian?

I assumed you were Exporting from the Action to merge the Model and Action Object.

Or... assembling them in a Chor and Exporting them into one Model from there.

Yes it is. As far as I know (but I might be wrong), its the 'finding patches' that is time consuming, and that needs to be done, regardless of method?

• 2 weeks later...
  • *A:M User*

I love the aerial shot. It really shows the work of your project. Remind me again of what type of redraw time on a project like this. What I mean can you move around in the chor effectively once you have combined all the action objects? Once again incredible work

Steve

Thanks Steve :)

can you move around in the chor effectively once you have combined all the action objects?
Nope. At best it takes a couple of seconds to redraw the view in wireframe mode, that makes it hard because you easily overshoot when using the mouse to orient. However, an easy fix is to replace the model with a proxy, just haven't done that yet

• Hash Fellow

Lookin' sharp!

Thanks Steve :)

can you move around in the chor effectively once you have combined all the action objects?
Nope. At best it takes a couple of seconds to redraw the view in wireframe mode, that makes it hard because you easily overshoot when using the mouse to orient.

There is a feature on the Options>Global tab.... Interrupt Drawing>Limit Max Drawing Time for this situation. If you set it to "5 fps" A:M would draw as much as it could at that rate, but keep move on to the next frame anyway if it couldn't. This partial display would give you enough clue for most positioning and turning.

However, this feature hasn't worked for several versions. It just makes the display go blank for me.

I put in an AMReport on that a lonnnnngggg time ago but I don't think it ever got picked up.

Back in the days of 25MHz PCs it was quite a handy thing.

You should have a look at the individual draw-possibilities in hybrid-realtime-mode. (press 7 on your keyboard, not key-pad / num-block)

In the PWS > Choreography you will find a button next to the objects in the scene, with which you can go to a Peak-Display-Mode, Box-Display-Mode or Invisible-Display-Mode.

These modes are ONLY for realtime-rendering. Finalrendering wont be changed. I think if you would use the Box-Displaymode for all the parts you don't need, A:M should handle it just fine again. (cant test it so)

And you can still see the dimensions of your objects.

-> I only assume that, but when I worked on a high-patch-count-model I did it and it worked much more fluid.

Make sure you are really in hybrid-realtime-mode / defaul-mode not in wireframe. Wireframe and the others will globally overwrite the settings you are setting in the pws-chor next to the models.

*Fuchur*

Thank you for the tips!

However, this feature hasn't worked for several versions. It just makes the display go blank for me.
For me too. To bad, sounds like a neat feature

You should have a look at the individual draw-possibilities in hybrid-realtime-mode. (press 7 on your keyboard, not key-pad / num-block)
How come I never thought of that? I've used it before. Thanks for reminding me. Setting the model to "vector" gave me five times better framerate than wireframe at lowest subdivision, so that is an great improvement :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I have not given up on this project, just havent had much time to work on it (a few weeks vacation, then a lot of catching up to do at work :) ). Anyway. Here is a new update. I have been working on the chapter house the last couple of days

nidarosdomen0.jpg nidarosdomen1.jpg

nidarosdomen2.jpg nidarosdomen3.jpg

Hi guys. I have not given up on this project, just havent had much time to work on it (a few weeks vacation, then a lot of catching up to do at work :) ). Anyway. Here is a new update. I have been working on the chapter house the last couple of days

nidarosdomen0.jpg nidarosdomen1.jpg

nidarosdomen2.jpg nidarosdomen3.jpg

Damn does that make me smile !

• 2 weeks later...

More done to the Octagon.

The main structure is almost done. Just minor additions to the Octagon, and there is a wall missing on the south side (I don't have reference images of that wall because the wall is covered up due to maintenance)

nidarosdomen1.jpg nidarosdomen3.jpg

nidarosdomen4.jpg nidarosdomen6.jpg

very Fabulous OF COURSE!

I'm curious if you will be adding the statues? Any plans for textures/materials?

I'm also curious as to how long this takes to render? And what are your settings? (I'm assuming you are using 100% AO, AI)

Will you be using this as a target for your trebuchet ? :lol:

I had to ask.

Amazing.

Thank you Nancy!

very Fabulous OF COURSE!

I'm curious if you will be adding the statues? Any plans for textures/materials?

I'm also curious as to how long this takes to render? And what are your settings? (I'm assuming you are using 100% AO, AI)

Will you be using this as a target for your trebuchet ? :lol:

I had to ask.

Amazing.

I will most likely add the statues on the west front. I hope to make a generic model that I will equip with various props and make various poses according to the real statues. It takes between 2 and 3 hours rendering each image at 100% AO as you mentioned. I don't dare aiming the trebuchet toward this model ;)

• 2 months later...

Sorry for not updating lately, my spare time has been limited. Anyway, Happy New Year to all of my friends!

I have done most of the tetxuring of the superstructure, but just started on the roof.

nidarosdomen_lighting1.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting5.jpg

nidarosdomen_lighting6.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting7.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Sorry for not updating lately, my spare time has been limited. Anyway, Happy New Year to all of my friends!

I have done most of the tetxuring of the superstructure, but just started on the roof.

nidarosdomen_lighting1.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting5.jpg

nidarosdomen_lighting6.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting7.jpg

Very impressive work!