Hash, Inc. Forums

Nidaros Cathedral

agep

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belated Happy Birthday! And, I have a present for you!

Great job on the Cathedral! Doing projects like this will really hone your modeling and texturing skills. When I was talking classes at the Academy of Digital Animation we had a project which I believe was the 'inside' of this Cathedral. It was done in XSI and all I have left it seems are the two pictures below (the first one was used in a project and I broke out some windows).

1.jpg

2.jpg

But I also have the class materials which I believe you may find interesting and perhaps even useful. These are in the zip file.

amiens_section.zip

Happy B-Day!

Rusty

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying to your posts until now rusty and nino. Thank you

This project is far from dead:) It has just been paused while waiting for some new drawings of the cathedral. I finally got them, and this project is back on track. Here is an update, not a big one though. So far I've blocked out parts of the nave, just begun adding details

nidarosdomen1.jpg

What I especially like about this project is the perception of scale you get from looking at the renders. It is often the case that something that is supposed to represent enormous proportions comes out as looking less than the intended scale. Your Cathedral looks grand from any angle. Well done Stian!

Stunning Stian. Are the roof/roof tiles a decal? Surely you're not modeling each tile are you? (Though I wouldn't be surprised!)
Decal? No, no. No cheating! Haha. Though, they are not individually modeled. One column is one model

You may have already mentioned this, but is this one model or multiple models in the chor?
I'm using action objects, love action objects, just drag and drop onto the base model in the chor. There is 18 models so far. Working on a 400K model as one, would be impossible, I already have a hard time move around in the chor.

• Hash Fellow

Looking great, as usual.

An interesting experiment, when you are done, would be to convert some of those details into depth maps and see how that looks in comparison and how the render times vary.

For example the details under the roman arches on the sides would be likely candidates for such a thing,

Just an minor update today. Added most of the details to the side wall. Missing a door though

nidarosdomen0.jpg

Here is an render where I have added a simple proxy model for the rest of the cathedral, just to give a sense of shape

nidarosdomen_proxy0.jpg

I dont know what the roof is made of unfortunately

An interesting experiment, when you are done, would be to convert some of those details into depth maps and see how that looks in comparison and how the render times vary. For example the details under the roman arches on the sides would be likely candidates for such a thing,
It sure would been an interesting experiment, but I dont think it will save enough rendertime to be worth it. I did som cool test that I never uploaded earlier in this project where I rendered out one depthmap of the westfront and used it as an displacementmap on a single path. Looked kind of cool. I might do one more test, when the westfront is complete. What I really is wondering about is if there is some kind of CNC machines out there that uses greyscale images to create reliefs? I know many of those machines take .STL files though

That sure is an amazing model!

When you render it does it take a few (5-30) seconds to "find patches". I ask this because when I used a 500k patch terrain model it took a good 30 seconds to "find patches" (almost like "calculating patch visibility") then it rendered really fast.

Photoman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the heartwarming comments.

This update is a little delayed. I had a computer crash earlier this week. My videocard went to videocardheaven, so I had to buy a new one. At the same time I had to format my systempartition and reinstall everything. Anyway, attached is the new update, hope you like it

nidarosdomen0.jpg

Try to snag an nvidia quadro 3700, definitely one of the best vid cards I have ever used and I've had cards from Ati, Elsa Glorias etc.
Thanks for the tip. I just bought a cheap $100 card (Radeon HD 4670). I plan on buying a new computer in a few months anyway

Thank you!

Wowsers, wowsers, WOWSERS!!! :D

Beautiful, clear render, Stian. It really shows off all your incredible modeling.

Thank you. I forgot to answer your last question. I'm going to texture it, but not sure to what degree yet. I will render out a turntable when done, but not right now. I also plan on making a QT VR. Current rendertime for the latest render is about 3 hours

btw, does anyone know of any good alternatives to QT VR (I do have VR Studio at work)? Some kind of simple application where you just loads all the frames. Flash output would be nice

The type of work you do you may want to consider a workstation. I used to build my own but off the shelf parts burn out too quick, ended up getting a Tristar. Nice having full warranties for the next few years.

Here is something that is interesting, I do quite a bit of beta testing for another 3d company, my older system was a 3ghz HTe chipset and I used to get strange errors especially on complex arrays and paths on helix's etc. Those bugs don't exist on the Xeon chips. I'm guess it was a math rounding error that caused twisting and contorting.

Thanks for the comments

Here is a new update.

Currently I'm working on the main tower. Hopefulle I'll have something to show within the next week

nidarosdomen1.jpg nidarosdomen3.jpg