Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Il Tempo Gigante (car)

agep

Right before christmas I started this fun but challenging project of modelling the car from the norwegian puppet film "Pinchcliffe Grand Prix". The car "Il Tempo Gigante" is one of the coolest car I know (besides McLaren :) ), and it is actually been built an fullsize superfast version of this beast. At this point I'm finish with the modelling but do have a lot of texturing to do. Its late now so I'm going to bed, but tomorrow I'll try to upload some references of the car, and some wires of my model.

Comments and crits are highly appreciated

Regards

Stian

[attachmentid=13041]

Il_Tempo_Gigante_dual_wip25L.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stian,

I always feel like crying when I see your work. Here I am in the corner of my room playing with my Romper Room building blocks while you are finishing the Taj Mahal.

There is absolutely nothing I could criticize about your model, perfection from what I can see. Awesome job.

All right, you've done it now Stian - I'm gonna lock myself in a closet and finish the Saleen if it kills me :P

Wireframe please

Eric

awesome model agep. so much detail

fine GI render effect, how do you obtain it? a light dome?

there's no gi, that look was done with a z-buffered skydome. By the way how many lights did you use in your choreography agep?

I always feel like crying when I see your work. Here I am in the corner of my room playing with my Romper Room building blocks while you are finishing the Taj Mahal.

Your saleen is a damn fine piece of work. it could compare to this one :D dont belittle yourself when you make good stuff too. :P

fine GI render effect, how do you obtain it? a light dome?

Most likely a light dome. The only thing I would cratique about the renderings is the shadows. Make sure to have muti-pass on (I like 4x4) and the lights have 2 ray casts with 100% darkness (Z-buffer shadows don't really decrease the render time with a skydome) and make sure that the car has all ambience set to 0. Yves's 25 light right seems to be good enough for the skydome, though the hight of the car could have causes those grainy shadows. Can solve that by using a skydome rig with more lights. Here's some examples from a thread talking about the effect. Very nice car. Did you use bump or normal maps on the pipes on the back?

I can't continue without a clear conscience so I have to fess up. Stian asked me over to his house this weekend. We spent a lot time building this car from a kit he bought at the modeling store, and then worked our butts of to powder-coat it to get that white render look... if you look carefully you can spot some of the drips... Stian, it has to end... the trip to the boat show (all that photoshop to get the background out), the toy cars I got for my kids and put on our new wood floor (he made me refinish a part of my flooring so that he could show a new "render"), the digital cameras... no more...

Yes your work is great, yes its depressing, please post something crappy for a change so we can all feel better... oh, and by the way, I just noticed after all this time the NASCAR model you made me has your website "sponsor decal" on it. That was great, I really got a kick out of that. Keep up the good work!

Cal

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate them very much :)

Are you using bump maps for the front tire treads?

Yes (patch decals)

I had to look really hard to find anything to criticize, it's just so well done, but there is a seam on the flexi-pipes at the back, like a misaligned map. Is that modelled or mapped?

I used an simple bumpmap for the tubes (patch decals), The seam is now fixed, it was just some rotate image issue.

Most likely a light dome. The only thing I would cratique about the renderings is the shadows. Make sure to have muti-pass on (I like 4x4) and the lights have 2 ray casts with 100% darkness (Z-buffer shadows don't really decrease the render time with a skydome) and make sure that the car has all ambience set to 0. Yves's 25 light right seems to be good enough for the skydome, though the hight of the car could have causes those grainy shadows. Can solve that by using a skydome rig with more lights. Here's some examples from a thread talking about the effect. Very nice car. Did you use bump or normal maps on the pipes on the back?

Im using the 25light setup with an dome. 36 passes, and 100% darkness. Somehow I've forgotten to set the rays to 2. The 1280x768 render took 5hr to render, which is a bit much, but since I have an extra comuter I dont mind the extra rendertime.

Regards

Stian

normaly takes about 3 hours to render a 960x960 image. Do you realy need 36 passes?

Anyway, any raycast above 1 will automatically disrupt the banding you got.

If 2 rays removes the banding I guess I dont need 36 passes. But with just 1 ray there was an noticeable difference in the banding between 16 and 36 passes. Im going to update the setup

Hey Stian .... congratulation .. I love your models they are gorgeus ... this "Tempo Gigante" is flaring....cant wait to see it whit textures ... keep your great, great job ...

normaly takes about 3 hours to render a 960x960 image. Do you realy need 36 passes?

Anyway, any raycast above 1 will automatically disrupt the banding you got.

If 2 rays removes the banding I guess I don't need 36 passes. But with just 1 ray there was an noticeable difference in the banding between 16 and 36 passes. I'm going to update the setup

with 1 ray banding will always be present, but if you use 2 rays and up the resulting shadows will not have banding, rather noise. A noisy/random-dot shadow is 10x better than a banded shadow because there is no visible shadow imperfections like hard line shadow penumbras. Plus at 16 passes the noisy shadow becomes so softened that it no longer looks like noise at all. :P

It looks like the absolute bulk of your 22K plus patches are in the rivots/bolts/nuts. take those out and it looks like you might be left with about 1K :D

If I could first produce a model and second render said model to produce even half of that result, I would consider myself a success.

Beautiful,

Wade

How did you do the texturing on your tubing? And how did you do the spiraling tube comming out of the fule tank?

On a relatd note, does anyone know of a tool in which you can move a collection of patches with 2 splines as the manipulation modifiers? I saw it once in a video tutorial on how to build a spider in A:M.

it works somethin like this

post-8217-1136872581_thumb.jpg

Hu? What's a distortion grid?

This was just an example. The actual group that i want to manipulate in this way is acually quite complex and the "manipulation splines" or what ever they're called would be curved in all sorts of random positions. I know A:M has this feature... I'M NOT CRAZY!! :(