Jump to content
Hash, Inc. Forums
robcat2075

Chicago Bears fan in simcloth Hawaiian shirt with buttons and collar

Recommended Posts

Steve Shelton created this character for a project he and Chris Dailey and I are working on.

This is an initial experiment with fitting a simcloth shirt on him.

 

StanShirtB31.jpg

 

 

StanShirtC31.jpg

 

 

StanShirtD31.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Robert and Steve. Did you use your usual trick of inflating the model into the cloth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Robert and Steve. Did you use your usual trick of inflating the model into the cloth?

 

Yup, that's pretty much a must-do for putting clothes on. He has lots of inflating to do.

 

 

(click to animate)

 

StanInflate.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Great character! Interesting how the wrists are disconnected! Neat trick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good guys! Would you mind showing a front and side view of the face wireframe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good guys! Would you mind showing a front and side view of the face wireframe?

 

Here you go...

 

 

StanWire.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks

Nice work, I like they topology. Especially the hook and 5 point patch placement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What advantage comes from disconnected hands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What advantage comes from disconnected hands?

 

 

None, really, except that it was fast. :P

 

Originally that character was going to have a modeled-on long-sleeve shirt, no simcloth, so what you are seeing is the old shirt sleeves turned to skin color to pretend to be bare arms.

 

We haven't rigged the character yet and all the splines are still up for debate so I didn't bother to attach the hands for this cloth test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would make for a great psychedelic sequence. or horror sequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried simcloth on papa bear some time ago Ang wasn't happy with the results. Looks like I have a reason to revisit the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Robert. This looks great. Commit it to sin later and I can attach the hands of you want. I have Loyd's rig in and placing fan bones.

Not sin SVN. I hate auto correct!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks pretty cool, I can't watch the videos though unless I watch them directly on YouTube. Anyone else having that problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The error message says "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner." which suggests to me that some share setting needs to be enabled in order to see it here in the forum.

 

 

The distort cage approach is a great animation technique.

I'm surprised we don't see more of that.

Great stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I had "Allow Embedding" off even though the embedding seemed to work when I tested the page. :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful model and good result of cloth simulation!

 

Looking at the wireframe I get the following question:
It appears that you use the splitpatch plugin (Catmull-Clark subdivision?) to create the cloth. Do subdivisions of triangles and pentagons not pose aesthetic problems (three splines at the same intersection)? Would not the subdivision Doo Sabin give a better result?


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Looking at the wireframe I get the following question:

It appears that you use the splitpatch plugin (Catmull-Clark subdivision?) to create the cloth.

 

 

As far as I know, splitpatch is just a simple geometric subdivision.

 

Do subdivisions of triangles and pentagons not pose aesthetic problems (three splines at the same intersection)?

 

 

They are usually not very visible after the simulation and they typically end up in places that would be a crease in the cloth anyway.

 

Would not the subdivision Doo Sabin give a better result?

 

 

Probably, but i don't have a program to do that.

 

 

The most significant problem with SplitPatch is that it will sometimes create what looks like a single continuous spline but it is really two or more separate splines that share endpoints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The splitpatch topology is the same as the Catmull-Clark division but it is true that there is an important difference, splitpatch keeps volume.

If there was a variant of splitpatch that uses Doo Sabin's topology it would be ideal. (maybe it would be worth it to adapt it?)

The only way that I see for now is to export the model subdivide X4 in Obj, import into Blender use the exellent plugin create by Nemyax to subdivide (Make A:M-Friendly copy) and import back into AM in MDL. The problem is that we lose in volume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...