new exploding world

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

newworldexplode1.mov

added some sprites using the spot image need to get a better sprite image and deform the pieces probably by displacing material

newworldexplode2.mov

short version with displacement

newworldexplode18.png

single frame with new sprites and reduced water on the planet

will render animation tomorrow

• Admin

Nicely done John!

Not only is the models exploding very good (lots of detailed destruction there to look at) but that anticipation really sells it.

Now if you can find some appropriate music... dum dum dumdum... DOOM!

The general rule to apply is: "More entertainment value can be created in the anticipation of the primary action than in the action itself."

You are getting mighty good at this destruction thing. :)

While watching again I noticed a few more things:

1) I really love that gaseous mass that recedes slighty into the distance. That's nice and it's something I think even the big boys in Hollywood don't get.

2) If you could use a sequence of images for your decal you could get rid of the blue that stays with the chunks as they fly out into space.

(You might be able to get away with only two images; one with the water blue and one ith it a subterrainean brown - whatever color that is!)

• Admin
Looks like youv'e been working a while on that one... AWESOME! You need to add a title...'December 12, 2012'

Matt's suggestion is great on several levels, especially if used as a lead in. As I see it would immediately complement these areas:

Staging

It establishes the scene for the audience. Everything after this is compared to this initial revealed reality.

There's the earth... like the sun rises every day, it's still there... nothing special... that's life... just the same as it always is.

Clarity

- It provides a known reference that cues the viewer in - grounds it into contextual reality with an established element of foreboding (the audience will either get the reference immediately or they will by the end of the sequence)

Timing

- The time it takes to read the title build up the audiences' tension in anticipation of the action (an anticipation before the actual anticipation... twice the value in anticipation!)

- The timing itself sets the mood and pace- the audience calmly prepares within the safety of silence for what may follow (They begin to consider possibilities based on their experience and interpretion... then the anticipation of the main attraction gets the viewer's attention... then the tale is told)

Rhythm

I do think an anticipatory beat of music would further augment the anticipation but consider your options well. There are many to choose from and its an artistic decision. The timing may be set but the movement (motive and emotive) in the spacing.

In anticipation before we go one way we go the opposite way first in order to maximize and enhance the anticipatory effect.

Example: If a steadily increasing beat suddenly goes silent... we take notice... and tend to wonder what beat will happen next.

Perhaps silence could be the anticipatory agent that immediately precedes the end of all things.

Just having fun exploring the possibilities that your animation presents and trying to better understand why it works so well! :)

Right now I hit a snag for some reason the sprites I added yesterday refuse to render or show up om wire frame if I change the material to streaks blobbies they show but sprites not happening and its just in this project saved the material and applied in another project works fine reset AM shut off the computer and still no sprites I guess I'll have to redo the chor

but thanks for the rest of the ideas actually this was just another tinker with tweaks

• Admin

Make sure you have particles turned on! (It sounds as if you do though)

but thanks for the rest of the ideas actually this was just another tinker with tweaks

You keep this up and one of these days you are going to accidentally tinker yourself a feature film!