Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cartoon Goat

I thought I would try my hand at modeling a silly young goat.

I wanted an curious, innocent look.

Best intentions but able to get into trouble.

Like a typical kid.

I just added a little color with diffused color.

Let me know what you think of the head.

post-10558-1236833034_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good golly good goat! Nice modeling.

But currently he doesn't look that young - I'm at a lost as to what to suggest to make him appear younger. How young do you want him?. Will have to see the proportions of head/body. Perhaps then he'll look younger.

Maybe he needs rounder, fuller face? shorter snout? to look young kiddish.

Good stuff!

1 way to make him look younger would be to smooth out the patches under and above the eyes, I notice when I am making a child, or young looking model I have to watch out for the rigid construction lines that tend to come with age. I keep everything soft and round with subtle creases (except around the cheeks).

Young or older this is nice character design.

Keep posting progress on this.

Good stuff!

1 way to make him look younger would be to smooth out the patches under and above the eyes, I notice when I am making a child, or young looking model I have to watch out for the rigid construction lines that tend to come with age. I keep everything soft and round with subtle creases (except around the cheeks).

Young or older this is nice character design.

Keep posting progress on this.

I agree....it's the eyes.

WOW!

Thanks for all the kind feedback.

I was aiming for that young to mid teen type look.

I figured that would be the right age for a goat that was solid gold at heart but nieve enough to easily wonder into mischief.

I think you guys are right about the eyes.

The lines are maybe a bit hard.

Maybe if the eyes are made a little larger also, or at least bigger iris' in the eyes????

I will plan on the head being a little big for the rest of his body to help him look younger as suggested also.

I'll try to keep posting as I progress but I am new at this and sometimes a little takes me a lot of time.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,

• Admin

Graduated TaoA:M and already you are onto something great.

You've built some impressive character into that character!

I agree that he does look a little older.

If you are going for 'goat' you got him! :)

If you are going for 'kid' you'll want to work on him a bit.

What others have suggested is right on the money but the long horns seem to be the defining feature that makes him look aged to me.

If you are going for a really young kid then you might remove the horns altogether.

Give the kid tiny horns and you'll immediately suggest he's growing into them.

I didn't find anything that really jumped out as perfect but here are some pics of goats and kids:

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/goat-kids.html

Graduated TaoA:M and already you are onto something great.

You've built some impressive character into that character!

I agree that he does look a little older.

If you are going for 'goat' you got him! :)

If you are going for 'kid' you'll want to work on him a bit.

What others have suggested is right on the money but the long horns seem to be the defining feature that makes him look aged to me.

If you are going for a really young kid then you might remove the horns altogether.

Give the kid tiny horns and you'll immediately suggest he's growing into them.

I didn't find anything that really jumped out as perfect but here are some pics of goats and kids:

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/goat-kids.html

Thanks Rodney,

You're right about the horns...what was I thinking.

I really like the distortion pics. That helped a bunch.

I think pulling the chin up helped a lot also.

I think I want between the middle and youngest looking.

Maybe I'll give him the button horns to grow into.

That should help him be identified as a goat and still be the right age.

I can't wait to get out of work and back home to work on him some more.

Nice model, TNT! Is he a relative of your avatar? ;)

Here is a quick distortion of his profile to give you a better idea of how you can rejuvenate him:

post-183-1236852398_thumb.jpg

Hope it helps.

I thought he looked a bit like the avitar.

It's just a look I like I guess.

I better watch that everything does not start to look like copies of the same theme.

Like I said in the reply to Rodney, your distortion really helped he see what I needed to do.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

You said you wanted him to look like a kid. Young goat. Was that an intentional pun? :rolleyes:

Try a wider, more prominent forehead and narrower jaw. Just a touch.

It might help to do a morph all the way to a baby. When you find the combination of factors that make a believable baby goat, you can then choose where along that continuum you want your final model to be. I was trying to morph one of the cartoon models on the Extras CD into a 14-year-old and it eluded me until I turned him into a 6-year-old. After that it was easy, like adjusting the proportions in a recipe for soup.

Here are some pics after the changes.

I included the splines since I was asked.

They are a bit heavier than I intended.

I may need to try to thin them out if I can keep the shape I want.

My wife suggested the top right looked like a girl with pigtails and a pink nose.

I gave the boy (lower left) a taller bridge to his darker nose, ears that stick out more, and smaller iris'. I also gave him the beginings of a chin and a tiny bit larger horns.

I think its working but I'll take more great suggestions.

post-10558-1236910929_thumb.jpg post-10558-1236911088_thumb.jpg

post-10558-1236911128_thumb.jpg post-10558-1236911142_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Looking really good!

I'll offer the following

You'll be able to differentiate them even further in the colors that you use.

As a starting place I'll suggest some earthy tones as a baseline; gray, brown, black, tan and white.

You could then add the more character oriented color as necessary (via lighting, tinting, etc) to enhance and nail down the individuality of the characters.

The general idea would be to pick two colors representative of each character.

One very conservative and one that will stand out from it.

The combination of these two color themes alone will give you a lot of room to play with when setting up scenes with your characters.

Then a third set of colors are used to set mood and give insight into what the character is thinking. These colors will tend to change depending on the scene. At a guess I'd say they are the primary colors; blue, red, yellow, green, etc.

Apologies if this gets a little too much into your creative biznez. ;)

Looking at your characters made me think of this.

Looking really good!

I'll offer the following

You'll be able to differentiate them even further in the colors that you use.

As a starting place I'll suggest some earthy tones as a baseline; gray, brown, black, tan and white.

You could then add the more character oriented color as necessary (via lighting, tinting, etc) to enhance and nail down the individuality of the characters.

The general idea would be to pick two colors representative of each character.

One very conservative and one that will stand out from it.

The combination of these two color themes alone will give you a lot of room to play with when setting up scenes with your characters.

Then a third set of colors are used to set mood and give insight into what the character is thinking. These colors will tend to change depending on the scene. At a guess I'd say they are the primary colors; blue, red, yellow, green, etc.

Apologies if this gets a little too much into your creative biznez. ;)

Looking at your characters made me think of this.

Hey Rodney, your comments are always welcome...I just don't always know enough to understand what you are telling me. (like the flock of birds and the moving clouds)

I was planning on using some maps and the 3DPainter to do their coats. Maps really have me interested now. You can do so much with them.

I was thinking white with lighter spots for the girl. Maybe make the pattern on her face a bit symmetrical while the boy is more light grey/dark grey and asymmetric for that unkept boy with a dirty face look.

Does that kinda' get what you were suggesting? I know some of the other suggestions are about lighting and mood colors in the chor but that is a ways off. I have a lot left to model to finish these guys and then get them rigged.

• Admin
Does that kinda' get what you were suggesting?

Sure does.

I was thinking white with lighter spots for the girl.

I'm curious.

Is there anything in particular that lead you in that direction?

I ask primarily as your color choices may depend more on the story you are telling and the scenes the characters move through than anything. Like you, I immediately thought of white for the girl. I wonder why that is. After that initial thought I wondered if it might not be worth testing further. It wasn't long before I felt a lot more comfortable with black for the girl.

I'm not trying to sway you here one way or another... just delving into the thought process a little more. Depending on your interest I'd be glad to delve some more.

Needless to say I'm interested in your characters and their stories. :)

the splines look pretty good to me. I cant see any area that has too many splines, based on the shape.

Maybe the nostrils/nose could be cut down a bit, but looks like you were using the bare minimum.

cool!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

the splines look pretty good to me. I cant see any area that has too many splines, based on the shape.

Maybe the nostrils/nose could be cut down a bit, but looks like you were using the bare minimum.

cool!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Cool!

I haven't animated a lot beyond the TaoAM work.

I am feeling my way to good balance between definition and ease of animation.

I have the Stop Staring book and have followed some of the examples for around the eyes and the brows so they can be expressive (I hope).

Thanks for the input.

Does that kinda' get what you were suggesting?

Sure does.

I was thinking white with lighter spots for the girl.

I'm curious.

Is there anything in particular that lead you in that direction?

I ask primarily as your color choices may depend more on the story you are telling and the scenes the characters move through than anything. Like you, I immediately thought of white for the girl. I wonder why that is. After that initial thought I wondered if it might not be worth testing further. It wasn't long before I felt a lot more comfortable with black for the girl.

I'm not trying to sway you here one way or another... just delving into the thought process a little more. Depending on your interest I'd be glad to delve some more.

Needless to say I'm interested in your characters and their stories. :)

Rodney,

I read and consider everyones opinions in the forum.

I use some and let some go but even the ones that I don't use help me learn.

I would not have the "kid goats" without everyones offering up great perspectives and insights.

My favorit part of the forums is getting critiques.

STORY:

I'm not sure what the story is quite yet.

The original idea was three friends in the barnyard (the goat, a potbelly pig, and a chicken).

The goat, who as typical will eat anything, is irritated by others eating anything that he may have wanted.

The friends teach him that sharing helps everyone and you get more of everything you need.

The three goats we're discussing here really came from trying to figure out how to make the right aged goat for the story.

Maybe the old goat and the girl goat will be extras?????

Thanks again,

I took some time to get the mouth pockets and teeth in all three characters.

That done, I wanted to start the rest of the body.

Since I am not the greatest with a pencil, I decided to adapt something I have seen suggested in a lot of art books but never seen done here.

I used some simple primatives to block in the rest of the character.

I just used spheres, cylinders, and cones to get an idea of the right proportions.

Maybe it's a silly way to go about it but hey, it seems to make sence to me and gave me a way to put him here for feedback.

I got such great input on the heads that I wanted to get some input on the body before I commited to detail.

My thought is to make the hips and shoulders have a little of the boney look like most goats have.

I think that will fit with the look of the head.

He's supposed to be a kid (pun intended). Independant, happy, curious, good heart but mischievious.

So please, how are the proportions?

Does he fit the description?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

post-10558-1237145521_thumb.jpg

Hey...great work! And such a great way to build up the body! My only suggestion would be that his feet seem a bit on the large side. Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and wore my dads shoes :D (I wasn't the only one to do this right???) Other than that, its a great model. I'm both jealous and inspired. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

While the debates go on for "Pass the Ball", I thought I would "model the goat".

I thing I got him close.

The primatives seemed to help me.

It was easy to group them and then turn them on and off kinda like a 3D rotoscope.

Anyway, here he is. Still a little rough but getting there.

Again, I love the critiques I get.

Can't always use them all but I appreciate every one.

Let me know what you think.

post-10558-1237328636_thumb.jpg post-10558-1237328654_thumb.jpg

Great Character! he's oozing personality and should be fun to animate. He reminds me a bit of the lamb from "Boundin" post haircut.

I absolutely love that short!

I had not consciously thought of that character when I started modeling my goat.

I'll take being compared to such a great character as a great compliment.

Thanks, :D

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while but I have been working on the little goat.

I am learning to use the TSM2 rig and also add some rigging for the eyes.

I got lots of help from Robert and David over in the Rigging area finding my errors.

He is far from done but here is an update doing a little more than standing and staring.

post-10558-1239767161_thumb.jpg