Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Art Nouveau Imagery

MJL

I love the raku feel as well and design of the vase - beautiful!

And I love the flourishy organic thingies poouring out of the vase - wonderful!

But my feeling is that the neon green flat coloring and look of the "ribbons" doesn't match the coloring, 3D dimensionality of the jar.

Perhaps a more unsaturated copper tarnish or antique gold or malachite or brushed tarnished silver for the ribbons (if you want contrast with the jar) might look good?

Or even making jar & ribbons same material?

Love the designs.

Thank you, Nancy. I'll play around with your suggestions, and probably make other versions as well as this one. I'm going to need more than a few images for the website. I'll post them when I get them done. These were meant to look somewhat plant like. (albiet in a surrealistic, abstract, old hippie kind of way) :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These were meant to look somewhat plant like. (albiet in a surrealistic, abstract, old hippie kind of way) :D

Ahhhh...of course! The vines are trippy - yes indeedy. Then it works.

I thought you were going for straight 1920's-30's Art Deco - didn't realize the intent was to go nouveau 1960's art deco..

Rock On...Peace...Make Love Not War... Burn ALL Yer Bras (PLEASE before someone finds them)!

if it was art deco, made dad would just love you, being art nouveau, he'll like you, just not as much as if it was deco, as you can guess, he's a deco fan, I myself prefer the surrealist movement for some reason, and then after that, it's a tie between the neo-classical and renaissance

Wow! Thank you everybody! After 30 years with my future x-wife, I'm not used to this sort of positive, encouraging response to the things I do. It has been my hope that these images will impress prospective employers (read gigs) and customers (CD Sales) that visit my website. Ergo: If this website looks cool, maybe the music is good too. (You know, the ol' bait and switch :D )

Seriously, though, thank you , it means a lot

• 3 weeks later...

I've been waiting for a clear day with no interruptions to Rig McKnuckles, so I put this together for the page on my website for music clips. The image is only half done, there will be "Music" flowing out of either the headstock or a guitar chord.

Ribbon_Strat.jpg

I feel...inspiration....must resist or my short film project will never get finished!

Really...I'm going to have a go with trying the same sort of thing with some celtic knotwork...won't come close to this 'cause man that is way out cool!

Thank you everybody.

I did some tweaking last night that I liked but I lost it trying to save. I'll redo it and post later

Paul, Laphroaig usually ties me in knots.

Thanks You, Nancy. You too, Paul. I've actually thought about animating "growing the Music ribbons" from the guitar. I'll put that on my list of things I'd like to do in A:M. It's item number 4,723.

Very cool, Myron! That is poster material.

Thanks, David. As you can see, I tend to respond to the slightest bit of encouragement. Here's the "Poster".

Final_Bordered_Poster.jpg

I like that you've added some complementary textures on the guitar, love the equation - but not quite sure about the crossed red lines, seems to disrupt the composition (for me) - perhaps try the lines horizontal and parallel ? perhaps about 1/3 down from top ?

Beautiful stuff ! (Do I have to keep saying that?...YES!)

Thanks again, everybody!

Gene, I bought a ball cap once that had "E=Fb" on it. I thought it was cool, but thought the formula didn't look 'Scientific' enough, so I made this one for the poster.

Nancy, in prehistoric times back when I was in high school, I would get bored in class while the teacher was explaining for the 12th time for folks in the back of the room that 2+2 did indeed equal 4. I had been sketching for some time and was attempting to develop my "own" artistic" styles. (I've posted below a re-visitation of one of those styles done a couple of years ago for my friends, Sneakin' Out ) the lines were a composition choice to balance out, with their straightness, all of the curvature. These red lines obviously come from that. They weren't, however meant to distract from the image, and be that red and obtrusive. However there are differences from progressive and final renders. I've re-rendered with softer lines. I like them angled as they are, rather than a more 'geometrical' approach. That's what's cool about art, everybody sees thing a bit differently.

Matthew, my man, back in the 1900's (during the last year of the sixth decade to be precise) when "Yes" was still "Maybe", I undertook a year or so of serious, independently funded Pharmacological research at laboratories conveniently located at various outdoor musical events up and down the West Coast. During my research I saw many images of this style, but alas, I find that I remember none of them. :blink:Stanley Mouse was a hero of mine, and his poster work was an inspiration for starting these Nouveau Images.

s_Bordered_G_Poster.jpg

s_Sneakin__Out.jpg

the lines were a composition choice to balance out, with their straightness, all of the curvature. These red lines obviously come from that. They weren't, however meant to distract from the image, and be that red and obtrusive. However there are differences from progressive and final renders. I've re-rendered with softer lines. I like them angled as they are, rather than a more 'geometrical' approach. That's what's cool about art, everybody sees thing a bit differently.

Never meant to imply there were any formulas to composition that had to be strictly followed (that would be boring) - I definitely understood that you were trying to balance the curves.

I like the softer lines. This works better (for me) - and you are absolutely right - it's all subjective and a matter of personal taste.

The sketch is also terrific

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wrapping up the imagery for my website. On the link to the video's page I have one image for the animated videos, but I wanted something different for the link to the "Live" video section. I wanted to do something with the ribbon style that has evolved, but my time (and perhaps creativity) is running out. So I put this little "concept " together. Not very Art Nouveau, but kind of interesting in it's own way.

8.5_Spacey_Camera.jpg

• 6 months later...