Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lamborghini Gallardo

Tralfaz

I've been off work the past couple of days with a nasty cold, so thought I would occupy my time with a bit of modelling. Started working on a Lamborghini Gallardo. Not the fastest modeller, but slowly getting there.

gallardo0.jpg

Having a bit of trouble figuring out how to model the wheel wells without using 5 point patches at the corners (shown in red). Below is a wire frame showing what I have done so far and if anyone has any suggestions, they would be very appreciated. When I complete a 5 point patch at the wheel well, I get severe pinching, which doesn't look all that good on a smooth car body.

galwireframe.jpg

And at some point, I hope the model will look like the images below.

l_gallardo.jpg Lamborghini_Gallardo_Yellow..jpg

C&C always welcome...

Al

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al:

that's looking really good so far. In my limited experience, there is no way you can avoid 5 pointers around the wheel wells - Xtaz has tons of experience and may know different. Don't let 5'ers discourage you though - with bias tweaking and looking at the mesh from all sorts of different directions, you can get them to lay down very smooth. Couple of pointers - keep the 5's as small and flat as possible, one of the main reasons they tweak is because the 5th vertex throws off the balance of the other four balanced points. If you can keep all 5 in a relatively smooth flow, it'll work out fine.

S7_Wheel_Well.jpg

Run a bathtub full of hot water and soak in it for two hours. Bring a hanky, your sinuses are going to open. You'll be surprised how well it works.

And if you have a sore throat, make warm lemonade with honey instead of sugar. Honey is a natural germ killer. An old cab driver told me that trick.

5 pointers - I assume you know to check normal directions?

I actually OWN that car and drive it to work daily...so if you need any detail shots I can go out to my 5 car garage and shoot 'em. (not)

As far as your HEALTH goes...whenever I get a cold I'll wear a black bandana over my nose and a 10 gallon cowboy hat to keep warm, works every time but I look like an old-timey bank robber... Here's a picture:

throway.jpg

Also, nice model on the red car Eric2575. Excellent splinage. Do you have any beauty renders of it?

I agree about the Saleen Eric. Very nice indeed and would love to see a finished render of it.

Quick update. Worked on the rear engine cover today. The profile of the rear quarter still isn't right though, will have to work on that.

Al

gallardo1.jpg gallardo0.jpg

Hey .. I missed it too :)

Very nice work Al .... Regarding your first question I suggest you some little modifications in the mesh ...

In the spline A - you must have a peaked edge then you should not use 5 points there.. put 5 points in the spline B

At the bottom of model ( C ) you must create a patch with 5 points, as this corner will enter into the model, else you will have creases there

Waiting for updates

sugest.jpg

Thanks for the tips Xtaz. What I ended up doing was modelling the quarter panel without the wheel well in an attempt to get the profile as correct and smooth as I could. Then I modelled the wheel well separately, keeping in mind where the splines for the quarter panel were. Once the wheel well was how I wanted it, I integrated it into the quarter panel. Any unneeded splines from the quarter panel were then removed. Only minor tweaking was needed after that. Reminds me of something I learned in my computer programming courses.... "Divide and Conquer". Break large projects down into many smaller ones and integrate as you go.

Another update...

Al

gallardo1.jpg

Ok now, you can talk up a storm about how you did it, but a wireframe is worth a thousand words.

Here is a wire frame showing the completed quarter panel...

GallardoWire0.jpg

... and another quick update, this time with the rear valance and Lamborghini script.

gallardo1.jpg

Thanks....

Al

Al:

are you using porcelan on your model? Would you post a wireframe? Thanks.

Hi Eric:

No, I am not using Porcelain, not even sure what it is or how to use it. I think I read once that it helps with smoothing out the surface, but not sure.

My son wanted to see what a high resolution render would look like, so I did these three renders overnight (around 5 hours for each render). They were done at 1920 x 1080 and 25 passes. I am also including a shaded wireframe of each render as well (they took only a few minutes each). I am glad I did the high-res renders as it has shown up some areas that still require more work.

gallardo0_large.jpg gallardo0_wire.jpg

gallardo1_large.jpg gallardo1_wire.jpg

gallardo2_large.jpg gallardo2_wire.jpg

As for the body color, nothing fancy was done as is shown in the image below.

color.jpg

As for the rendering part, I had found a thread on this forum (I think I was looking for clay renders), that indicated:

1. All lights in the Choreography should be turned off
  2. In the Choreography properties, set Global Ambiance Type to 'Global Color'
  3. Set Ambience Intensity to 100%
  4. Set Ambience Occlusion to 100%

chor.jpg

In the Render File settings, I set things up as shown below.

render.jpg

Hope this helps...

Al

Al:

Really nice going. You really don't need porcelain since your mesh is already so smooth, but try it just for fun anyways. One of the places you can find it is on the "Extras" cd. Probably the easiest way to find it is to do a search of your computer for the porcelain material. Once you import the material, group all your car skin and apply the porcelain to that group, then render. When you go back to working on your model, remove the porcelain to see the skin in it's natural state. You can always reapply it once you are finished with your model.

Hi Eric:

I tried using Porcelain on the model, and when I rendered it, I started getting black areas showing up in the yellow body. Anyway, I removed the Procelain and wen't back to the way it was.

I have been working on the front of the car now. Also added some quick and dirty tires and rims (not the final rims and tires). Now that the body is coming together, I wanted to see what it would look like with wheels.

C&C always welcome...

Al

gallardo0.jpg

Hi AL:

What Mike said - the black spots when using porcelain are usually due to Normals facing the wrong way. Hit the button to show normals - I think you can do it by hitting shift/1 - then select the patch that has the inverted normal and hit "f". Usually you'll have several patches next to each other that will need to be fixed.

Really great job so far.

Eric

Thanks Mike and Eric for your tips on Normals.

Sure enough, I had so many normals that were reversed, it wasn't funny. There should be a button you click on and have all the normals face the same direction. Then, if they were facing the wrong way, you could flip all the normals at once. Anyway, I fixed all the normals, applied the Porcelain material to the yellow body group and rendered out the car. The results are shown below.

Just out of curiosity, what causes normals to go in different directions while modelling?

Thanks...

Al

gallardo0.jpg gallardo1.jpg

Sure enough, I had so many normals that were reversed, it wasn't funny. There should be a button you click on and have all the normals face the same direction
Actually, there is. If you rightclick a model you can select 'Refind Normals'. Not sure how well it works though. Anyway, your model looks really great so far!

Al:

like I said before, you're modeling is really nice, not really benefitting from the porcellan as far as the small render goes. Do remember to remove the porcellan as you keep working on the model because laying down splines should always be done without the help of the material. I am willing to bet you are not using multipass as you show us your progress? Would you do a 9 or 16 x multipass in a litle bit bigger resolution? I am really enjoying the progress on your model.

Race you for pinks when you're done :D

Eric

Thanks everyone!

Actually, there is. If you rightclick a model you can select 'Refind Normals'. Not sure how well it works though. Anyway, your model looks really great so far!

I wasn't able to find the 'Refind Normals' option. Do you right click on the Object in the Project Work Space or in the modelling window? I tried right clicking in the modelling window as well as individual groups in the PWS.

like I said before, you're modeling is really nice, not really benefitting from the porcellan as far as the small render goes. Do remember to remove the porcellan as you keep working on the model because laying down splines should always be done without the help of the material.

Yes, I did remove the porcelain material before modelling again. The porcelain material is really good at identifying the problem areas with normals.

I am willing to bet you are not using multipass as you show us your progress? Would you do a 9 or 16 x multipass in a litle bit bigger resolution? I am really enjoying the progress on your model.

Actually, I am using multipass in the renders that I post here (except for the first couple). I am usually rendering at 5 x 5 (25) passes. As I write this, I have a larger 1920 x 1080 - 25 pass render going at home (takes around 5 -6 hours). Will post this when I get home tonight.

Race you for pinks when you're done :D

You're on! Lamborghini vs Saleen. That would be a great race to see, or better yet, drive in! I found your Saleen in the WIP threads and have read through it. Great looking car and model you did there Eric.

Al

"Refind Normals" looks like it was removed somewhere around Version 11.0

I have yet to nail down exactly what causes normals to point one way or the other initially, but with basic patches created by themselves it has to do with which side of an axis they are on. I created a few four point patches out of four, four point splines and if you move all the splines to one side or the other of the x and y axis, the normals are created pointing away from the 0,0,0 point.

Hope that helps. Excellent work!

EDIT: My first statement is incorrect... see Stian's reply below... :o

I found 'Refind Normals in both v13 and v15. Right click in the modeling window

You are right Stian. Found 'Refind Normals' by right clicking within the model window itself. Thanks for that tip. BTW, I am using v14.

As requested Eric, here are a couple of large (1920 x 1080 - 16 pass) renders. The first one is just the regular render. The second one has Porcelain applied to it. I was surprised in how much it affects the model and how it looks in a render. The body still needs some tweaking, but it is getting there.

Also, major thanks to MMZ_TimeLord for his instructions on modelling tread on a tire (found it here in the forums). I am really pleased on how the front hi-res tire turned out.

C&C always welcome...

Al

Car body without Porcelain

gallardo_normal.jpg

Car body WITH Porcelain

gallardo_porcelain.jpg

Well, not actually knowing what the real car looks like, I personally prefer without porcelain. The main things I notice is the look of a bend in the side skirt that disappears on the porcelain. And then there is a weird shine right in front of the wheel that makes it look different. The air intake looks less defined, but again, I don't know which is more true.

Anyway, here is a quick markup of what made me feel weird about the porcelain version.

Green = looks better

Blue = just different, again I don't know which is more true.

But, either way, the model looks awesome!

post-11158-1204254828_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the crits jzawacki. I am still doing a lot of tweaking on the body to smooth things out.

Today, I played around with a rim for the car. I have always liked the design of wire spoke rims, think they look pretty classy. Found a design I liked on the internet and gave it a shot. I am kind of thinking the gold looks a bit more like brass than gold. Anxious to see what it looks like with the high res tires when I get home tonight.

C&C always welcome...

Al

Reference Image

REV_275.jpg

My version

testrim0.jpg

Quick update:

Added the new rims and tires to the Gallardo. Really can't see too much of the tires in this render, but I know the treads are there... :D

Have a basic interior tub in place now. Things to still complete on the outside are head and tail lights, meshes in the grill openings, mirrors, front side marker lights, door handles, tinted side and rear windows and more tweaking...

As always, C&C welcomed...

Al

gallardo0.jpg

no interior?

Not yet. It has a basic tub, just needs details added to it. Perhaps in the future.

That's admirable work - what about with porcelain? I remember that with porcelain that dint under the left side door disappeared.

Thanks Caroline. The dent under the door in the rocker panel is actually supposed to be there. It is part of the real car.

Just for the fun of it, I added the car to a driveway scene. Not very good at lighting though.

Al

gallardo_garage0.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Looks almost perfect to me.. it's a 3 car garage.. But, from the looks of the house.. why are you modeling the car? You should just buy one. ;)

Not my house or income bracket, wish it was though. :D

Re-modelled the tires to reduce the patch count and re-modelled the rims to better suit the car.

C&C always welcome...

Al

gallardo0.jpg