Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M Sprites used as SNOW

EDIT: I just updated this video as it came out of post-production, ready for broadcast, whereas before it was simply animation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhv88Vakq6Y FINAL EDITED SPOT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtW9yMyTvY The original TV spot, from summer 2007.

Hi--- I just updated an old :30 spot for a winter furniture sale and at the last minute decided to employ A:M's particle generator for a snow falling effect. I'm quite happy with the resulting animation, and with A:M's powerful toolkit!

I originally used a filter in After Effects (Cycore's CC Snow...which simulates snow falling in depth .) It was good, but was obviously 'pasted' over the scene and did not move with the camera. So then I made a large transparent(100%) patch in A:M and applied a 'streak' particle generator to it. The resulting 3 minutes per frame render prohibited further tweeking on that, so I switched the material over to a sprite generator and used the basic 'blur' sprite off the Hash CD. This rendered much quicker (around 5 seconds per frame, NO multipass) which meant I could tweek settings without worrying (size, number of particles over time, gravity, etc) I let it render the full sequence and composited in After Effects... turned out GREAT!

It's hard to believe a $50 animation program is capable of these results in a production environmment! THANKS HASH!

halfoffframe.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looks absolutely terrific - the sprites look great in combination with the blowing "clouds" - I can hear the wind blowing. I love that it's blowing in from an angle. Were the blowing clouds an after effects filter or was that an A:M layers with animation? or ???. I especially like that the densities/transparencies of the effects were varied - makes it really really interesting visually.

Thanks! The billowing snow was added in after effects- but it was an element I made in Hash highly blurred. HA:MR? Where are we that? Is it a viable product? I thought we were waiting for 'the next big release...' and, would the snow particles work in HA:MR? The grid for the cloth is quite dense, and once satisfactorily simulated makes for a mighty heavy project file that takes about 15minutes just to open...

It was made at D1 resolution (720 X486) although I am thinking about re-rendering at a hi-res because it would be great to see in hi-def and also because we are trying to sell that client on the benefits of the higher resolution. Maybe this weekend I'll set up the hi-res...

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!