Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My demoreel

agep

Hello friends

I'm somehow "celebrating" my 1.year anniversary with A:M and 3D (actually its little past a year). And I have put together an demoreel (warning: use of cheesy transitions and music), that shows some of my projects. The continuity in the composition is pretty bad, and I should have rendered some of the models in a better choreography, but I haven't had the time (nor the knowledge :P )

Let me know what you think

Direct link to the demoreel (.mov, 10MB, right click and select: "Save target as...")

My Webpage

Regards

Stian Ervik Wahlvåg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Good looking models! I think for your one-year anniversary you can be as cheesy as you want. :) (something is amiss about the transition around 0:30, however.)

If you're going to spin the models, I'd spin them slower and just do one rev in wireframe and just one in rendered. It's hard to examine a quickly spinning model.

I hope you're working on TWO!

Thanks guys :D

something is amiss about the transition around 0:30

Yeah I know, not sure why though. Im using pinnacle studio for editing, and the projectfile do not have that glitch, however when I render it out its there (tested it twice).

I don't know if CG Talk accepts demoreels but if you can show it over there it will certainly catch a few eyes

They do accept demoreels and animations, but I'm pretty sure mine wont even get close to the level out there...

Stian,

Other than the glitch at 30... I like the demo... As far as the spinning goes, it's okay for you to fade as you are from wire to rendered, I might make it so it does slow down alot and completes just one rev in rendered mode, slowly.

The auto models are so real, I would like to see them take off... burning rubber, bumping into the box (in the case of the small one) perhaps. (I know that was rendered in radiosity, animating in radiosity would be too time consuming, so you'd really have to fake it very well.

The boat I'd like to see "drop" /splash (as though dropped from a crane, slings releasing) into some water and take off, leaving a wake.

Light and animate your logo, it doesn't need to be 3D.

Now that all sounds like alot of crits. But it's not really. Those things would make it "perfect", in my eyes. As it is, it is VERY VERY GOOD! And, as mentioned, even playing with just the one glitch fixed, over at CG talk... I think it would get some good attention for you and for A:M.

And, in one year, give or take, if I'm just nearly as capable as you are, I would count myself very lucky.

Great job! Keep up the excellent work! Thank you for sharing!

Sincerely,

Stian, your work is awesome, regardless of how long you've been at it. I think you could hang with the best of them so get that reel out there.

Your "glitch" is actually a very simple fix, and a common mistake. Check in your timeline, and you should find that where you meant to do a cross fade from the still clip of the video cameras to the study area scene, the transition is backwards. So what ends up happening is you crossfade back to your cameras, and the jump to your study desk scene. I use Premiere, and when I get that there is just a little arrow in the transition that points to the direction the clips are transitioning to (which clip is transitioning into the other), and I'll find that I have the clip that is just begining transitioning into the clip that is just ending, which gives me the exact same result you have there. Don't know how it works in Pinnacle, but I bet its the same problem.

Keep up the good work, and hey I might have some more work for you begining in the new year.

Cal.

This a very great layout for a demo reel..a few things I have to say:

If this is an "A:M demo reel" you must show all aspects of the way it works. Rigging, modeling, and animation. If you watch other demo reels (especially Rigging ones) there are sometimes subtitles of the way the rigging works (i.e. "total control with panel..." or something). For the modleing section you must have a little subtitle that states it's patch-based modeling, and the basic concepts of that. Have some closeups on wireframes with complex meshes (your car would be great)...show hooks and 5 pt. patches so they can see why patch modeling is great.

For the animation part, I wouldn't consider that an animation section of the vid, at all. I suggest having at least 4/5 clips of animation if you want that. However, if this is an A:M reel I may suggest even taking out the animation part and replacing it with a rigging part. Then show some animation with the rig shown. Maybe have some subtitles that talk about the pose sliders, CP weighting, etc.

If this was a modeling reel, this would be AWESOME. but the title says "A:M reel" so the material shown must correspond with the title shown. Make sure you're getting the message across that you want.

All of the footage in here is perfecto, however just place them in the right spots at the right time.

THANKS GUYS, I just don't know what to reply to your nice comments. *blushing*

If this was a modeling reel, this would be AWESOME. but the title says "A:M reel" so the material shown must correspond with the title shown. Make sure you're getting the message across that you want.

You'r right, It's more of an "this is what I have achieved so far reel" rather than an clean modelling reel. Perhaps I just should call it an demo reel?

Regards

Stian

and thanks again

AMAZING DEMO!!!

My two year old son saw it when I was looking it and I had to loop it 30 times in a row. He was hipnotized! Should I say that I was too?

Your models are nothing short of great... Little robot was well animated with nice secondary motions, although I felt that it could be improved... (little shudders at the start of the forward and back motions would add to its believability)

Keep the good work

drvarceto

Very much thanks for your comments

Btw, how's The Revenge of The Gull comming along? I havn't heard anything about it lately...

Ehhh, I haven't had time to work on it since the summer (or the truth is that I stopped working on it when I realized how bad it was.. LOL). It is however almost finished, just need some music and editing.... The question is if that ever will happen...

• 2 weeks later...