New characters WIP

DarkLimit

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

modernhorse - thanks alot man, Am hoping to still capture the mood and style I want even if my characters are cartoon..... So far they are coming along good..

I will add more texture details as I go along.......

post-7-1093168690.jpg

Nice, he's an evil looking dude. Textures on him seem kind of lacking in interest though- at least in comparrison to some of your earlier fish. But don't let me slow you down! I'm just here to be irritating. :D

Looking forward to the animation!

-Andrew

littleandy - since am going for a cartoon style the texturing will be nothing close to the old fishes, am going to keep things VERY simple.. My focus is on the animation and story..

thanks for the feedback.

post-7-1084467800.jpg

Hi guys, I have been spending TONS of time working on Swazi's Rig... I am almost finish I just have to create poses for his eyebrows.. thought I would share it with you.. I also have some test animations I will post over the next few days..

Thanks ever so much to PARLO and LARRY_B for your unlimited help with this rig ;)

more to come..

post-7-1084532852.jpg

• Admin

DL,

Looking mighty good... seeing the range of expression really lets us imagine how they will interact with each other.

Your 'trademark' way of placing multiple views of your characters together really reminds me of the 2D animation character sheets from the likes of Disney, Warner Bros, etc.

Hope you'll post lots more of these character sheets as you go along.

One question that I've meant to ask...

Are you combining these poses/shots in A:M or another program... I've been doing some tests within A:M for multiple angle single renders... but have found it just as easy (maybe more easy) to combine the shots in a program like IRFANView using it's panaramic combiner.

Keep it up!

Thanks Rodney - Am just using "THE GIMP" to compose the renders..

After sketching for a while and after learning more about "modeling for animation" I re-created LevVy as I planned in cartoon style, he's riged and ready to be animated.. I have changed a few things about the story so I will update in the future..

post-7-1084870229.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sofabutt - Thanks for checking in on my project, at the moment am busy with a freelance project I picked up so I will not be able to do much with my fish project... But when I have an update I will post it........

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, it's been a while since I last updated my fish project, Alot has changed over the months I had very little time to work on it... I also took the time to re-design my characters and get a feel for their personality and the way they will act and move..

This project turned out different than when I first started (character wise), I learn so much from your crits and by practicing, I modeled over 20 fishes just trying to get a feel for a design. it's hard sometimes to transfer what's in ur head to paper/computer... Alot of them will not make it into the final movie, but am happy with what I learned... My other fishes slowed down my machine alot which made animating hard cuz I have a slow machine...

-----NEW------ PROJECT INFO------

I am very happy with what I came up with I narrowed it down to 2 characters, which are low in patch count and are fun to work with.... My orginal story and idea was to big for just me to do, so I changed it and made it more simple...Just a girl and Worm...

Here is the girl her name is ~missy~..... the worm character will be posted soon...

post-7-1091211561.jpg

• Admin

DL,

Glad to see you back in action in the forum again!

When I need inspiration and a reason to carry a project through with a critical eye on composition and detail I always think of you!

Look forward to seeing more of those fish! :)

John - Thank you very much sir...

Rod- Thanks so much for your encouraging words really means alot...

I modeled the worm character that will feature with Missy.... I am very happy with the simplicity and style am achieving while trying to maintain character.

his name is "Shyne"

post-7-1091547901.jpg

Robert !

Welcome back to the forums. I've missed you and I've missed your progress on this short. I'm so glad to see that you've stuck with it this far and I really like the simple designs esp. on the worm. Cool ! I think you're persistence is gonna come in handy now that you're nearing production eh?

Now I wonder what you'll do with those 20 other fishes? Maybe model a net and throw 'em all in there. :D

Keep us posted on the short.

Doug

LOL PlJack there is no turtle, the model ur talking about will no longer be used in my animation...... But I used him in another scene......

here he is........

~ Please note this is not part of my animation am just showing PL what I did with my old fish~

thanks for your time sir...

post-7-1092329091.jpg

I think you use color very well! I might add, that I always find it very moody. No matter what you model/render it seems to have this dream-like quality... and in some of your work even nightmare-ish. Looks like it's coming along GREAT.

• Admin

I agree with Rich! Very dreamy.

Your work has a very painterly quality to it that doesn't easily reveal it's CG origin.

If you were to place your renders next to the work of PIXARs people would easily pick PIXARs as CG created. I'm not so sure you would always get the same response to your work. I think a lot of people would pick your work as painted versus CG.

Now the only thing that remains in your besting of those masters of the craft (PIXAR) is the animating!

I'm really looking forward to the results of your animatics!

Rodney

• 2 months later...

dborruso thanks alot sir......

I am happy to say that the animatic for part 1 of my animated film is complete... But am on a 56k connection right now so when I get my broadband I will upload it.... Am going to keep the story info etc under cover as I go along now, cuz I don't want to give away much about the story.....

here are some more fishes am playing with..... an addition to the cast!!!

post-7-1098935538.jpg

DL,

WOW.........

Your layput, lighting and effect is great and something I would like to be able to emulate in my own short. Any chance you can give us some pointers (not after the undersea effect - just the soft painterly look)

Cheers

Sorry I have just been following this post for 13 pages. I am really curious if you ever got the problem shorted out in 10.5 or are you still using 8.5? I was hoping 11.0t would possible have fixed the problem

Anyways reading this is really giving me a feel on how to create my own creations. Seeing this from concept to near completion really is helping understand whats involed. Thankyou very much for sharing this.

As soon as I am done the tutorials I can't wait to start my first noon tutoiral animation. I know that posting my thoughts and WIP I can get ideas and input from everone. Look for my work soon ;)

Mark

Thanks alot guys for your helpful and encouraging comments.......

**David - I wanted my scene to have this dreamy effect so I had to tweak the ligthing alot took me a few days before I was happy with it...... it's a combination of your light colours and using the "BLOOM" post effect in A:M..... I played and tweaked those 2 and I got the dreamy appearance; just what I wanted..

**<PF>Mark - yeah I had problems transfering my models from one version to another ( v8 to v10 )... it caused rendering issues among other things, had to re-model a few models cuz they got messed up.... But now all is well I use V11t and I have no problems...

my fish project has really come a long way, it has evolved as time went on thanks to the awesome comments and surggestions on this community..... I could not get this far without the hash community help.... it's a long process but it's fun and rewarding......You just need to stay focus and be as creative as you can..... I wish you good luck in your short......

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Here is an update on the final 2 scenes of my short..... The final scene ( the buttom pic ) is an underwater graveyard I have never saw one so I had to be creative when sketching it.... I am happy with how it turned out..... I am in process of tweaking scene 1 and 2; I will update those in a few days....

As of 2005 I will be moving heavy into the animation stage so I will be posting animatics for all 4 scenes.....

Tell me what feeling u get from the mood....

thanks.

post-7-1102086836.jpg

• Admin

Very moody.

I have never even considered or imagined what a gravescene would look like underwater.

Definitely plays on peoples fears. What could be worse than dying and being buried in a grave? Dying, being buried in a grave and then having that grave site go underwater I guess. Very interesting concept and imagery.

Maybe I just don't watch enough horror movies.

Really looking forward to your animatics. :)

When they built the dam in my hometown of Hendersonville, TN several years ago, they had to move a very old cemetary for a 18th century plantation called Rock Castle because it would have been flooded.

Even more horrifying... when the big earthquake hit the New Madrid fault in southern Illinois, the Mississipi river actually flowed North. When it turned back south, it formed Reelfoot lake. The floods also hit a couple cemetaries and people as far south as Memphis reported seeing half open coffins floating down the river.

Useless trivia is always good, right?

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Rod thanks alot.... I am very happy so far.........

I did some tweaking on my fishy added eyelids..... fishes don't have eyelids so it was tricky getting it to look ok......

This fish fits this part perfectly he has the appearance I want... A fish who is tired and irritated.....

There will be some animation with this guy as of next yr.....

Still got scene 1 and 2 coming stay tuned....

post-7-1103451095.jpg