Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New characters WIP

DarkLimit

Thanks guys............ I was really counting on the eye but too bad it could not work out..... but I tweaked his tail fin just trying to add some details here and there...

tell me what you think......

thanks guys for helping me so much your comments really means alot....

post-7-1072595952.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hehe thanks mike, this design gives me enough cps to use for his expressions.... I will setup some poses and I will animate him moving as a test to see how well it works....... I should have this in a few weeks.....

I added some fins on his back....... does it look good?

post-7-1072806228.jpg

The yellow teeth are great. Is this guy going to be one of a duo or trio? Or is he just an anonomous member of a large school?

You should consider finding a digital fine art association in your area. Your work falls under the catetgory of fine art I think and sometimes it's difficult for digital fine artists to find respectable venues to show their work. The digital fine art society I'm a lurking member of is always sponsoring shows and demonstrations and things in the local area.

Thanks littleandy & HomeSlice.

HomeSlice - thanks I never thought about that. but am not sure where to find any but I will look into it...

here is an update on LEVVY my fish....

I started texturing him... it's challenging texturing this guy but am liking the results so far..

tell me what you think.

post-7-1073518203.jpg

Thanks guys........

just to give you some background.........

This is LEV VY the fish; I created him based on a dream I had. He as been a concept for over a yr now.. I decided that I will re-created him... Being underwater is one of my greatest fears and seeing or being attacked by a shark or a fish like lev vy always crosses my mind before I go to the lakes and pounds... I will be re-creating the dream; it's very scary I hope I can capture the same dramatic feel and look....He's modeled and textured in HASH Animation Master...

this design is the original design that was in my dream so I will go with that..

comments are welcome......

post-7-1073569171.jpg

If I may be so bold ...

I think specularity is a tad high, particularly on the nose area.

It might be interesting to try some yellow on those horrible teeth! I know it might not fit the dream but yellow teeth always scare me. Speaking of which, its time for another treatment on mine. :P

Doug

Thanks modernhorse......

I have finished texturing him and am pleased with how he looks; he fits the profile of the character in my dream. I just need to rig him and do some test animations..

I have started modeling the wrecked ship that will be in the scene. it's just one of the many props that I will need...

I will update you all as I go along.... thanks for all the help so far you guys are really helping me.....

post-7-1073916167.jpg

Here is the early stages of the ship am just laying out the wood structure... this ship seems that it will have a huge patch count...

it's already at 3424 patches am trying to keep it small but this is where 90% of the scene will be taking place so I guess I need tons of details.....

post-7-1073916369.jpg

DarkLimit

Love those fish! But I do have a few critics ;)

1) Your fish need to look a bit more scaly, their skins look more like those on Frankenstein's Monster with scars on, but then these are horror fish right?

2) If these fish are based on DEEP sea fish (Angler, Lampfish etc.) then perhaps they should be a little more transleucent - mind you that would be bloody hard to achieve without modeling internal geometry - perhaps just the teeth being slightly transleucent?

3) Did you model them with there mouths closed? Not that it matters too much but it might make it easier to have modeled them with their mouths closed as they you can then put a pose on them with the mouths open unless you have already done this.

There that didn't hurt did it ? :unsure:

gazzamataz -

I considered scales but this is my first real model I ever completed and I wanted to keep him simple, he already takes like 3 - 4 mins to render; Along with the rest of underwater props my render time per frame could be huge. I think I should have just given him a simple colour to begin with but am pleased with the way he turned out.

I don't mind trying a transleucent look to the teeth it's an effect I will have to try.

I have always been thought to model a character in an extreme pose to start with; this makes for better rigging and pose setup.. everyone does it different but I thought that this concept will make it easy for me to set him up..

thanks for the critz......

post-7-1074188064.jpg

zacktaich - Thanks I will darken it..... am afraid due to software technical problems I can no longer continue this project so I have cancelled it.......

At least I ended up with an ok model that am pleased with.. Thanks to you and to all the other artist who helped me so much along the way.....

Dark....

WOW thanks alot for the feedback and encouragement guys......

I don't think this is the place to disscus this but just to let you all know, because of some error in A:M 10.5 am unable to render my scenes.... I have tried everything and the problem can't seem to be fixed. As a result if I decide to resume this project it will be done in A:M 8.5... which means I have to re-model from scratch amoung other things..... Over 7 months of planning and concept arts seem to be in vain; this is very dissapointing but it's ok things happens I guess....

Thanks again to all for your help and encouragement you guys are great.

Obvious I know, but have you tried asking Hash Support? Is it an OpenGL DirectX thing? I had render problems in 10.5 usig OpenGL but I switched to DirectX - problem gone... more due to the crap drivers for my video card I suspect :angry:

starving4rtist - yes I have tried that.

gazzamataz - I am currently getting some help / feedback from them..

The thing is that this only happens when I tried to render so this has to be a video problem.... I tried running A:M with and without directX 9 installed same thing....

I updated my drivers but same thing... but I will keep trying until something works....

any way I continued working in ver 8.5 and here is the new creature... he's a wormfish just one of the few inhabitans living underwater..... I have a few more tweaking to do on him.... am just trying to keep things simple.

I would like to know what you all think of him..

post-7-1075240210.jpg

Hehe thanks gubber and phil - A shotgun? you think you can shoot him before he gets to you? I think not :P

I tweaked him some more... I think I figured out whats causing my render errors but am doing a few more test to make sure.....

thanks for looking.

post-7-1075310825.jpg

Nice! They look like seahorses from hell - they could even put me off diving :ph34r: Mind you it looks like they have lost there teef :D

Looking forward to them in their enviroment under the waves. I am thinking of another underwater story for my characters so I might buy them off or you ;)

gazzamataz - thanks man, this guy will have no teeth he's the harmless type....

Ross Smith - Thanks alot for the comment on my texturing it's not my strong point but I try........

my plan is to texture my fishes with materials only!!! because I don't have photoshop to do all the fancy texturing... So the whole scene will be ALL materials.

so I work in layers :

1 - I create a gradient material ranging the colours I need, I use 2 gradient depending on how complex the colours are....

2 - then I create a bump material using A:M's dented plugin; I like this tool you can really get some cool patterns if you spend time with it....

3 - then I create a diffuse material which consist of black and white colours, so I use like the pelin pattern, then in each of the attributes I change the falloff values to make the material look dirty or dark anything below 100 % makes the material brighter; anything above 100% makes it look dark and dirty ....

4 - then I add some specularity just by changing the values in the ( group name ) of the the fish... spec size and intensity.

Thasts it... this takes a while to get looking right depending on what look your after. but I have been using this technique ever since I started using A:M so I can get results faster the more learn and explore.....

thanks for the surpport guys......

Thanks zaryin - Mr carter???

This is pretty much the final render of this guy; very simple. He's lev vy's dad....... am gonna start modeling my other creature.

Thanks to johnartbox and Will sutton I have fixed my render problem all is well now; so my movie is moving along as planned..

stay tuned......

post-7-1075483943.jpg

love the skin textures on your creature, keep updating, it's nice to see something a bit dark and mysterious. Hows the ship coming along I can see that looking great wrecked at the bottom of a murky ocean.

;) regards - Chris