Hash, Inc. Forums

AVR32 Network Gateway 100 (NGW100)

agep

Thanks for the comments guys!

It looks like every edge is indeed beveled.
Sure is! I always bevel every edge. Its a lot more work, but the result is much better

So, you just did that for fun?
Yup!

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a total geek - that white render with the wireframe just makes me feel fuzzy all over :P
Lol! Actually, that wireframe render took many many hours to create. It is a clean AO render with sampling set to 100%. Then I rendered out a black wireframe on a white background and merged those two layer in photoshop

Stian,

All I can say is I had to pick my jaw up off my desk when I saw this. Words can't describe my respect for your modeling skills.

Do you have any video's of you in action or better, any modeling training videos? I'd buy it in a second. To model with the speed and to the degree of detail that you do, you must have a method /shortcuts/techniques that are unique. I wish you'd share your secrets.

So DO you have any model teaching videos? Would you please think about making one?

When you do mechanical modeling like this, Do you peak everything and go back and adjust the bias?

Lastly,

There's a model I started a while back. I posted a question on the best way to layout the model. Rodger graciously gave me his method and I'm very grateful. If I link my post, would you take a look at it and tell me how you'd do it?

Thanks,

George

Thank you so much guys :blush:

You are truly one of my idols when it comes to mechanical modelling and realistic renders.
You have been an inspiration for me too, you know;)

To model with the speed and to the degree of detail that you do, you must have a method /shortcuts/techniques that are unique. I wish you'd share your
In this particularly case there was insanely much stitching, using beveled corners of primitives, extruding, stitching and so on... good spline planning was the clue on this model.

Rodger graciously gave me his method and I'm very grateful. If I link my post, would you take a look at it and tell me how you'd do it?
Bring it on

Do you have any video's of you in action or better, any modeling training videos?
The only thing I got at is a work in progress video (time-laps) of a model I made for David Dustin a few years ago. Feel free to take a look:

neonprogress.mov

I know these guys are kidding. When I saw this entry I knew the whole circuit board was modeled because you're a maniac with the bevels and the lighting and the hoohah! Your aircraft carrier is one of my faves and I remember in the WIP where you had beveled every ladder and railing. It all pays off in spades! Beautiful work!

Rodger graciously gave me his method and I'm very grateful. If I link my post, would you take a look at it and tell me how you'd do it?
Bring it on

Do you have any video's of you in action or better, any modeling training videos?
The only thing I got at is a work in progress video (time-laps) of a model I made for David Dustin a few years ago. Feel free to take a look:

neonprogress.mov

Oh my God!!! Just checked out the time lapse and I bow to you at the modeling alter hehe.

I want to model the lost in space robot but everytime I try to cut into the round body for the neon voice part cutout, compartments for the buttons or the large side cut outs for the retractable arms, the smooth cylinder gets distorted.

Here's my link. I attached a picture of the robot. If you're not familiar with the show, the Superman like shape cut out at the top has a neon light that lights up when the robot talks. Thank you very much for checking it out and possibly giving me some pointers.

George

It's post 22

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry279066

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Stian:

may I ask about your wireframe render settings? Specifically, I'd like to know how you achieved such crisp lines? How large did you render the wire? Was it larger than the final and then reduced to the final? How many multi passes did you use? Did you use 16 polys per patch or adaptive? Would you describe your Photoshop technique for selecting the wire? Thank you

Eric

Since I don't remember exactly how I did it, I had to try to replicate the technique. I think I came pretty close.

First of all, set your spline color to black, Tools -> Customize -> Appearance -> Item -> Objects

Remove all your materials and decals from your model, remove all the lights from your choreography and set Global Ambiance Type to Global Color (this is to create the bright white render, with black wireframe. Render using Shaded & Wireframe, 16 (or above) multipass, adaptive

wireframe0.jpg

Then do an basic white AO render

ao0.jpg

In Photoshop, put the wireframe render on top of the AO render, set it to Multiply

ps_multiply.jpg

and voilà!

multiply.jpg

Here is the project file with the two separate render setups, and the PSD file. Hope you find it helpful

wireframe.zip