Gerry

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
here's the finished geometry and I'm going to do the rigging before I do the texturing, just to fine-tune my work procedures. The hair is obviously modeled because I didn't want to spend a lot of time working with hair. I'm going to give a few of the front and side bits a dynamic constraint so they bounce when she moves her head.

I'm going to suggest a bigger head to body ratio to make her more child-like. What you have would almost pass for an adult in most animation.

That's a good point Robert. I wonder if making her feet and hands bigger would help. I noticed her feet were bigger in my sketch but as I was modeling, smaller seemed like a better proportion. But I may do a reproportioned version.

I wanted the neck skinny for a more cartoony look. What I had in mind was skinny neck, wrists and ankles but it didn't come out that way. If it looks distracting I'll change it.

I'm working on the rigging today and I've already got some questions!

here's a shot with head and feet enlarged. I think it improves it.

Gerry I think she looks great!

The only thing that stands out to me is that I worry she needs another spline ring at the shoulders. Not sure that it will deform they way you want it to. Three rings is usually the rule, but it might not be a problem...

• Hash Fellow
I'm going to suggest a bigger head to body ratio to make her more child-like. What you have would almost pass for an adult in most animation.

however there are times when a big head still doesn't look child-like...

ralphbloodylauren.jpg

Hey Mark, I did add a third spline ring to her shoulder, thanks for the tip. I'm working on the rigging and so far it seems to be proceeding okay. Lots of trial and error but being able to go back and fine tune at each step is a big plus.

The Naugahyde couch looks cold. <_ maybe a softer texture>

I actually kind of like the cartoony look that the specularity gives it! I thought it went stylistically with the christmas tree. But I'm still working on a lot of detailing touches that will warm up the scene considerably.

Thanks Shelton! I just noticed that you're from Tulsa, which is where my wife's from. I lived there for three years back in ye 70's and in fact we had a visitor this weekend, an old school friend of Vicki's, who is an EMT in Mannford so we heard lots of stories about her friends and coworkers, with lots of local color thrown in.

Back when I lived there I did some acting with Theatre Tulsa and I appeared in the very first play presented in the (brand new!) Williams Center, "The Lion in Winter".

• *A:M User*

Excellent!

Williams theater has given way to the PAC (performing arts center). The Williams Center has transformmed into a business hub as Williams communication moved in and remodeled. It was a neat place to go and have a great weekend with shopping and entertainment much like the Crown Center in Kansas City.

Tulsa is a nice place to live.

Steve

however there are times when a big head still doesn't look child-like...

ralphbloodylauren.jpg

sorry for being OT, but here's a follow up to that pic

Model Fired

Crumbs are a sprite emitter inside the g-man model and the bite is a boolean cutter. When the boolean moves in, the sprite emitter pops out a bunch of crumbs. Glad you like it! Edit: apparently that was rendered with an alpha so it's uglier than it needs to be.

Here's a quick n dirty animatic that I did to work out the timing a little better, added a few frames to make the transitions easier to time.

Animatic_h264.mov

• 2 weeks later...

I've got these three gingerbread men models, each with a slightly different boolean cutter for the biting-off bit. Then the sprite emitters spit out a brief spurt of crumbs. My question is, can I create an action for the sprite emitter settings, then just drop it onto each model at the point it's needed? then to tweak the settings I would just have to edit the action. Am I right about this?

• Hash Fellow
Edit: redid this shot, made it longer and incorporated what was to have been a separate closeup shot.

include some shoulder motion when she's nodding off. When she tries to stay awake, use the shoulders to help jerk her head back up.

I think any edit you make to the action will be shown in all uses of it. I dont' think one action can get you 3 different results.

Sorry , that's what I meant, that I could just edit the action to affect all instances of it.

Actually an additional consideration is that the sprite emitter is shaped and located differently in each model. But the material is the same, and I want each instance to behave the same, same timeline and birth/death rate, all settings the same. I'm assuming that since the action acts on the material and not the physical location of it, the same action would function for all instances. Does that sound correct?

Good looking project Gerry. Regarding your question, from what I can see, you may need three different actions to locate the emitter in different positions. Or it may be easier to add three instances of the emitter directly into the chor.