Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Christmas animation 2009

Gerry

Not technically a WIP just yet, but I wanted to start a placeholder thread. I'm going to have to put my "Nightcallers" work aside as it's the time of year when I have to start thinking about the company Christmas animation. I need to sketch out some ideas (I like to show three) and pitch them to my boss. Then it's off to the races. As long as it's creative and catchy, she's pretty flexible (see: the Christmas Snail) and likes me to have fun with it.

This year I'm determined to center it on actual CHARACTER ANIMATION, yes I said it. So that's what I'll be pitching. Now I just need to come up with some ideas!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome, Gerry! Look forward to these each year!

Maybe I should give thought to starting mine this early, too! :-)

Still love the idea of us doing a bunch of Christmas animations and having a virtual fireplace with all of the animations as Christmas cards...

Maybe we could do it this year?

i was thinking of this the other day, this has become somewhat of a tradition for me to watch the progress of this. and you want to go for char animation, perhaps you should go for an 1800s london feel? that's always very christmasy. and with Jim Carrey's Christmas Carol coming out in november, perhaps something of that time period would be appropriate?

That's an interesting idea! I've been jotting down notes and I've got three ideas I want to sketch storybds for, but to be honest none of them are really grabbing me and it's making it difficult to get enthused. I may just try that!

Here's the rough, unvarnished storyboard and a character sketch. A little girl falls asleep in front of the TV waiting for Santa to arrive. We think it needs a better payoff, and my boss wanted to know if I could do this in time for Christmas as we're getting busy again. Of course I said yes!

storyboards_sm.jpg

annie01.jpg

Here's the rough, unvarnished storyboard and a character sketch. A little girl falls asleep in front of the TV waiting for Santa to arrive. We think it needs a better payoff, and my boss wanted to know if I could do this in time for Christmas as we're getting busy again. Of course I said yes!

love the look

just a thought

why not have santa come out of the tv Butt first

the kids in shock

santa take the cookies leaves a gift ( kids still in shock )

santa pops back into tv waves with logo

Thanks for the comments! I agree the payoff needs work. I'm not opposed to using Santa but given my time constraints I'm trying to keep it to one character as far as animating goes. Doing the dancing cookies will be somewhat of a cheat since there's no hands or face to animate, and it's "only" a kickline with a looping, reusable action.

My wife had a similar suggestion for Santa coming out of the screen, not butt-first, but that's pretty funny!

Definitely open to suggestions! I'll be using as many props and models from the extras cd and library as possible.

Here's her T-pose. I think she's gotta be a hardcore Santa groupie, the cookies will be Santa-shaped, her note will be on Santa stationery, etc. and the "punchline" needs to be more sassy than heartwarming. I'm still trying to tease out a joke but I think I'm getting closer.

annie_Tpose_sm.jpg

Okay, I think I've got the hook I need. The cookies are gingerbread men. She dives into the TV and dances with them, when their heads, arms, legs start disappearing with a crunch. She watches in shock as they're being eaten while they're dancing! We return to the view of her on couch, fast asleep, and pan over to a closeup of the plate of cookies. Only one remains, and we see Santa's hand come in and take the last one. The end.

Thanks Nancy! here's the finished geometry and I'm going to do the rigging before I do the texturing, just to fine-tune my work procedures. The hair is obviously modeled because I didn't want to spend a lot of time working with hair. I'm going to give a few of the front and side bits a dynamic constraint so they bounce when she moves her head.

Before I do the rigging though I'm doing a complete set of storyboards in color. I found last year that doing this made the animating steps easier because color decisions are already made. I'll post these but I may do it on my ftp space and just have a link here. maybe I'll build them into a Flash slideshow.

AnnieRotatev60.jpg

Thanks Mark! Here's the rough schedule I've laid out for myself, though there's a lot of wiggle room. As of today I've got ten and a half weeks and I've broken it down like this:

Storyboards - 1 week

Modeling and rigging - 3 weeks

Texturing - 1 week

Choreographies (shots) - 3-1/2 weeks

Rendering - 2 weeks

Like I said, this is rough. I just noticed I haven't put any time in there for sound or post, but on the other hand the storyboards and modeling are close to being done, or at least I've got a solid start on them. I may start a checklist to keep track of work as it's completed as well.

hm, those are some nice looking and smooth pics. If I can ever model characters I'll be very, very happy! I can't wait to see how this one turns out, so far the snail one is my fav I think, though i only vaguely rememer last years

Here's my shot list:

1) Close up of plate of gingerbread men and note for Santa

2) Long shot of room, slow zoom in as Annie, clicking remote, tries to stay awake, then nods off

3) Profile shot of Annie jerking awake

4) Over shoulder shot as she looks at the candy cane remote, then pull back to include TV in shot

5) Head-on shot of TV as she clicks, then zoom in as gingerbread men jump up from plate

6) Jazzy shot of gingerbread men in kickline

7) Annie reaction shot, then she hops off the couch out of frame

8) Profile shot of TV, she dives into the screen in slo-mo, in a crackling plasma cloud

9) Head-on shot of TV as plasma cloud dissipates, and we see Annie dancing in the kickline

10) Two-shot of Annie and GBM, then his head snaps off

11) Two-shot of 2 GBM’s as they lose heads and arms

12) Annie reaction shot, which dissolves to-

13) Annie asleep on couch. Slow pan to cookie dish, then camera rises for different vantage point as Santa’s hand comes in from off camera and takes the last cookie.

aw man, and when the gingerbread men are dancing, you need like some sort of spotlight/glowy tupe of effect, where everything else is dark, ro maybe this sort of rotating colour spectrum of light or something, again in spotlight fashion. I don't know, maybe that's too over the top....

Well I've got a whole set of full color storyboards I've done so I think I've got that covered. the dance sequence will be quite jazzy! I'm using shots of the Rockettes for reference.

I would post the color sketches but I thought I'd put them in a slideshow somehow. Maybe over the weekend.

aw man, I have the jitters now! i'm so excited, though i don't know about the last frame, just having santa take the cookie and it say visualex might be enough, the last bit might seem out of place, but i suppose that's what the editing floor is for :)