Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cupid's Sick Day

Shelton

He's starting to look like my cousin -- sans the wings :). I don't know what it is, but that front view look a little off to me. The shape of the wings I think could be more rounded maybe? I dont know. Looking good though.

• *A:M User*

I added cupids laurel headband. I used a photo of a gold leaf and then used a bump to give it depth but how do you guys get the decals to give a sparkle?

Steve

Edit

Added another shot of the leaf and imported it as image type as spec?

crown0.jpg

crowntwo0.jpg

Thanks Steve!! The eyes are driving me nuts as well. I just threw color so I could see the eyes. Will correct that as none of the settings are complete. I have deleted the wings and started over. Looked at some mythology books and internet research and decided instead of angel wings I will make cupids smaller still with feathers but more round. Should finish tonight and send an update at that time with corrected eyes as well.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a few days since I have worked on Cupid. I have been laying out the scenes and finalizing the number of characters needed for the shots. I have two more after Cupid. I have two old male models I have resurrected and started modifying them. I will show some shots of those characters when Cupid is completed. I have found on the forum a design for a angel wing. I have modified it for Cupid. I have to complete it with hair feathers and then finish the toga. Huge patch count on this character but I am not to worried as he will be a solo shot. Anyway here is an update.

Steve

feathersfront0.jpg

Hi Nancy and thanks.

Reading through some recent mythology books, Cupid was described as a young, healthy, and attractive. It was later in time before Cupid finds his way as a cherub. I am compromising, however. My Cupid will be about 3' tall but with the look you now see.

Steve

I am rethinking Cupid, so I thought I would start on the next character. I thought I could reuse a couple of old characters, but I was really bad a couple of years ago. It just seems easier to start anew. I liked the rotoscopes I had drawn so I started the new face tonight. He will be in a jacket a trousers and he is the last suitor after the girl.

Steve

face0.jpg

Totally reworked jaw and mouth areas. Now I have a question, how do you add cp to a grouped file when the ears are already added to the group.

Used the method of the jacket on Nigel in the library. Lots of tweeking to do but I like the ease of the model.

Steve

Edit: Mystery solved

Edit 2: SSS test took 14 minutes to render with 5 pass. Vista 64, XP64 11 minutes and XP Pro 11

coat0.jpg

coat0.jpg

sss0.jpg

I need help and making a weave material for the sports coat. I thought I was on the right track when I rendered the weave pattern the pattern was huge. Any thoughts.

Steve

I don't know what kind of weave pattern you're looking for, Steve. I just push some noise around to get a basic look like this one (it's seamless).

weave.png

Maybe I was trying to hard but that is it. Can you shoot me a shot of your screen and what you did?

Thanks David

I'm out of time at the moment, so I'll just type a quick description...if necessary, I can make some screenshots tonight.

I used GIMP, but I'm sure it can be done in any other paint program. I make a base layer of neutral gray, make a second transparent layer and use the "Filters/Noise/Hurl" to spray noise on the layer and the "Filters/Blur/Motion Blur" set to "linear" at 90 degrees with a length of about "50" to smear the noise into streaks. Then, I make a third layer, repeat the steps for the second layer except I set the motion blur to 0 degrees. Then, I flatten the image so that it is a single layer and use the "Filters/Map/Make Seamless" to make the image seamless and then save as a grayscale image.

Hope that helps Steve.

Thanks man. I was trying to create the same effect in AM as a material. But what you have is excatly what I was looking for!!

Steve

You can use the "BitmapPlus" material type to make the image a material. You should be able to tweak it into something useable using that.

Hope that helps, Steve.

Thanks

I have started something that has helped me in proceeding with the project. Being an IT guy and having two networks here at the house, I have built several machines dedicated for modeling in AM. I currently have about 20 mahines here in the house. (my wife hates it). On one server I have set up svn. I have an 8 port KVM switch. At any given time I have three models opened on the machines and can switch between the machines. With SVN updating the models I can pull from the server or post to the server when needed.

Why not have multiple models in a project on one machine? I found I was not keeping very good records of where this decal or that file or texture was being saved. I was relying on my memory of where something was. Plus I focus on one model at a time or texture, etc.. on one machine.

It is not so much of the multiple machines as it is the svn and the server. (The ability to keep track of everything!!) Each machine will have a working folder of the project and then server has the master. And yes I am backing that folder up!!! But since I have three modeling machines going at the same time I have found this work flow works for me. Any way it has been fun setting things up.

I know its not for everyone but with data already over 1.5 gig on just models it was getting out of hand. This does not count the one machine for Photoshop and the decals, premiere and AE on another, etc..........

Oh well I had to justify having all the machines to my wife!!!

Steve

Here is a shot of the main 7 characters. I have two more secondary and one standard poodle to model. I wanted to see what I had to complete on each of the models as well. This will be a very helpful tool.

Steve :rolleyes:

casta0.jpg

Here is a shot with the outline of the hair.. I like the form just not the color. But here is what he will look like

Steve

Edit

I like this second shot a lot better. Once I add the decals and tone down the skin and add some shadows, I think I will be happy and move onto the next character.

staffd0.jpg

staffe0.jpg

staffef0.jpg

Thanks Rodney. I have this character and one more plus the dog and after that it will be onto sets and props. Rigging will go in there somewhere. I have been doing a little here and there. So I hope to have all the characters completed by the end of October. I hope to have some help on some of the models.

Steve