Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cupid's Sick Day

Shelton

• 3 weeks later...
  • *A:M User*

Well the restoration company has started moving our furniture back today. I will hopefully be up and running before the weekend is out or for sure by Monday. I have missed working on Cupids Sick Day and have used this break to refocus and get some final concepts completed.

Steve

• 1 month later...

We are back home but will have to move out one more time for 5 days as they finish the back area. I have missed the computer but it has been a good vacation. Looking forward to getting back. I thought I saw a thread on hair and settings in the last few days. Can anyone direct me to that?

Steve

• 1 month later...

Totally reworked the face and emphasis on the check area and got rid of the creasing. Body on now and will get hands and feet on later. (there was a boot on the forum was it in the free model?)

Right now only 1250 patches.

Steve

testarms0.jpg

testarmstwo0.jpg

In my feeble attempts to unravel a mystery I became frustrated. I had tried to use SSS on the characters and and continued to have splotches of white. I thought it was as a result of the splines being to close together. I guess I was half right. Notice the first picture around the bottom of the lip. I adjusted the splines so many times I was about to completely redo the lip area. Since SSS uses the ability of the patches as light passes through it, I realized it is how close the patch is behind the lip. I had the inside lip and mouth right next to the lip. Notices the second shot. I have been able to rid of the splotches.

Steve

testblack0.jpg

testblacktwo0.jpg

Mark

I thought I had it at the highest settings / best quality. I am unfortunately out of my house as the final coat of poly was put on the wood floors today. Should be back home by Wednesday and I will check. Thanks for thinking of that

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

After finally getting back into things I have lost all files since the first of this year.

I installed, what I thought to be a safety net, back up system. I started building a new machine (water damage) and when I pulled the files back they were corrupted. The drives in the back up raid system corrupted the files. I have bits and pieces I will be able to use, but needless to say hours, days, weeks and months have been lost. I will keep you posted. Most of the Cupid files I have masters before rigs were installed. Some of my Elliott files I can piece together but will take "several" evenings.

Even someone who is an IT guy gets hit. This is twice this year. In January we have a water loss that affected the network and several computers, and now after installing "safeguards" I am hit again.

Today I have order new back up drives. I have asked a friend who is a data recovery expert to look at the drives but after his initial inspection he does not have much hope.

It may be awhile before I post any updates.

Steve

Thanks all. I have three servers and I was looking on one of the servers a few minutes ago. I found a folder that was a backup from March. So I restored and I have some more files to add. I wish I could get lucky and find more. I am looking on every machine I have in my network now to see if by chance I made a copy some where else.

I did one thing tonight, boxed up a workstation that was supposed to save me time. I may open it later but for now I am taking my vengence on it :angry: (blaming an object for my lack of deligence to ensure the back ups were completing correctly). Makes me feel a little better. :rolleyes:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

After several days of recreating the model I have the Elliott character almost back to "pre-hard drive crash condition". I have to redo the hands and gloves tonight. After that I can start rigging again. Cupid characters will have to wait until after a trip to WDW starting saturday. Thanks for the encouragement!

Steve :)

• 2 weeks later...

New computer in and did a comparison:

Alienware Aurora Intel I7 960 quad core 3.2ghz 12 gig RAM 1366

Windows 7 64

AM v 16 beta 3

one frame rendered with hair and sss

reflections and the works

55 sec / frame

Old computer

AMD 5000 DC OC 3.2ghz 4 gig of RAM 1066

Windows XP 64

AM v 16 beta 3

1:57 / frame

WOW

I can not get v 15j+ to load yet on new machine. Gives me a runtime error.

Steve

Wow, that's quite a difference.

Would you say the Intel i7 is pretty much responsible for the shedding of a full minute from your render times?

It is a fully new platform with a much newer and faster CPU... so it is all together and yes, the i7 is very likely responsible for that...

*fuchur*

Well, if Steve consistently gets a ~1min/frame decrease in render time, that is really very significant. If each frame of a 5min animation (at 24fps) took 15min to render on his old 2-core AMD processor/platform (i'm guessing he could only render on one core effectively), that would have taken him ~1800 hours to render it. On the new 4-core computer (rendering on 3 cores), it would only take ~560 hours. A savings of 1,240 hours).

That seems like such a huge time savings that I'm wondering if I made a mistake in my math.

Hey Steve, all that water damage might have actually been a blessing :lol:

Holmes

Even though I lost a huge amount of items in the water damage the worst was the hard drive crash. I have put off buying anything for myself (computer wise) for three years. I have bought small items here and there but no major purchase for a while. I tried three times to rebuild the machine in which the the hard drive crashed but after every rebuild something else crashed. I have a money paying gig that needs to be completed in Jan and well it was time for a new machine. It is totally devoted to animations and graphics. :rolleyes:

Steve

• 2 months later...
Ok while working with sss the skin renders but everything else is black. Any ideas?

Steve

v16 rc

Are the normals correct on the patches that render black?

Did this render in any previous version correctly?

What is the hierarchy of groups? - What color should the clothes be?

Everything renders black. The files worked correctly before RC v 16. Now if I render wether in model or chore it renders the file black. Imported new character no difference. Started new file imported model and then rendered same result

Steve