Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Brief Spider Robot video

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking a look, everybody! I just needed a break from animation for a few hours. I can't wait to burn-out on this project! :)

BTW, I'm not selling a DVD; it will just be for my demo reel. However, I will post higher-rez versions of these files as I get closer to completion.

-Noah

• Admin

Noah,

That is one awesome mini-tutorial. Great stuff. :)

For anyone interested in about 1 minute Noah gives us some great information on setting up a scene and demonstrates the power of a well designed rig.

Thanks for giving us these insights into your projects Noah!

Can you show us more on making the camera shake as the foot hits the ground?

This is really easy. I just go the frames where the spider's legs come down, and keyframe the camera moving up and down quickly. This is even easier if you just add points to the camera's Y-Translate curve, that way it doesn't make key frames in other channels that you don't want.

BTW, I should have a new spider clip posted tonight or tomorrow. I'll post a link, soon.

-Noah

Can you make a "making of" video of that project when you're done?

Yes, I plan on making atleast 3 more "making of" short videos, but it will be a couple weeks until I get to the next one.

Here is a little more animation:

http://www.noah3d.com/m148.html

However, I'm even more excited about starting the shots that lead up to this scene (the transition from the highway chase to the spider fight). I'll post some more as soon as I can :)

you did all that with animation master?

absolutely :)

-Noah

Noah, I noticed in your chase scene that you mention the cars and how you rigged them. I am working on a toon car and need to rig it. I love the way the cars are set up in the scene. I can't find any help for that and wonder if you have some tips or maybe a tutorial?Thanks

I see the makings of a new game genre!

I think it could be a really cool video game, if done right.

you can animate, too! Wow! Are you doing all this by yourself?

Thanks! Now that I've quite my graphic design job, I've had a lot more time to focus on this project. However, as we all know, animation is tough, so I'm trying my best on this.

cars are set up and wonder if you have some tips or maybe a tutorial?

I will do a more detailed tutorial sometime, but for now, I can briefly explain how I did it. First, parent four nulls under a Master bone. At the same level as these nulls (under the Master bone), I have a parent bone for the wheels, and a parent bone for the frame of the car. The parent bone for the frame will basically do exactly what the parent bone for the wheels does, only I add an "orient like" constraint with a short lag, so that the car frame follows the motion of the wheels with a slight delay.

I aim the parent bone for the wheels at ALL four wheel nulls, so its rotation is the exact average of where each null is positioned. Now, as the car moves, you use the model bone, or the Master bone, but you can also move the wheel nulls around to control the subtle rotations of the car wheels and frame.

The one downside to this is that you still have to check to make sure that the geometry of your wheels aren't penetrating your road. However, I still find this method extremely effecient.

-Noah

Dude that rig was awesome!!! I love the way that Spider is rigged and how easily it looks to animate the bugger.

Nothing beats a great rig like that.

Your talent is the bomb. Although it is a shame you are working on someone elses property.

I can only imagine what your own personal characters and story would look like and the potential you have for greatness especially in making your own stories such.

Great, great work!!

:lol:

Thanks! I was just greedy, and wanted to take a crack at doing the BGC, before someone else tries to make a 3D and/or live-action version of it.

As for originality, my 3D animated thesis project that I did in college had me in over my head in terms of personnal content, so now I'm happy dealing more or less with eye-candy. In a few more years from now, I will hopefully come back to my original concepts and try to make more sense out of them.

BTW, here's a tunnel render that I did recently:

http://www.noah3d.com/tunnel.html

I should have the animations of this up in a couple more days...

• Admin

Noah,

Inspiration is a strange thing... ;)

Unlike many people, when I see the talent that you bring to such projects I want to pack my bags and go back to doodling. Hey... doodling is safe! ;)

I won't mind you... I'm having entirely too much fun to stop now. :)

It's a joy to see talent such as yours on display.

Keep on inspiring!

Congrats on your assist with Shaoguee's "Haruwo" as well! That one is a winner too! :)