Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Creating the first character

jirard

While i am getting the story straight I am gonna post how i model a face. If anyone wants to comment on a faster workflow or has any crits or suggestions feel free to post.

I always start by setting up an outline of the face and then lathing The cross secetions are set to 12 (tools/options/modeling tabs)

part1.JPG

After Lathing I delete the bottom points

part2.JPG

After playing with the splines a bit I will select the front half of the face and copy it (ctrl+c keys) then press the (/) key to select the rest and then delete everything and paste (ctrl+v)

part3.JPG

I will do the same for the front side of the face

part4.JPG

After this I start to set up a muscle pattern for the character

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

That's an interesting workflow and a bit different from what most people have been doing but you get a good result.

It would be great if you could make a detailed step-by-step. for people to follow.

That's an interesting workflow and a bit different from what most people have been doing but you get a good result.

It would be great if you could make a detailed step-by-step. for people to follow.

Is there a program I could use to film the whole process while i am modeling.

For Windows, you could use Camstudio.

Hope that helps, Jirard.

For Windows, you could use Camstudio.

Hope that helps, Jirard.

Thanks

This does help. I have the next few days off so I will check it out and post.

I didnt like where the other model was going so I started all over. Just a few more tweaks to the forehead and lids and this part will be done. I still dont feel like it looks right though but I will keep plugin away

Crits welcome

newf.jpg

Hey, Jirard! As always, your character is looking great! What is it specifically that doesn't feel right? Have you tried drawing rotos (front and side view) for one of your characters?

Hey, Jirard! As always, your character is looking great! What is it specifically that doesn't feel right? Have you tried drawing rotos (front and side view) for one of your characters?

I have been checking out this ladies artwork for inspiration as far as character design goes. I think i am trying to implement to many ides in one character. I want a childish innocent look but all my models seem to have a touch of insanity to them. Any suggestions on talking away the evil madness that they have. :)

I usually have an idea in mind and just try and work it out as I am modeling I think I will just start sketching this stuff out first maybe that will help. i dont like to use rotos. It never turns out how i want doing it that way.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking great so far, Jirard!

Thank you

I fixed a couple of areas but lost the hair in the process. i dont think i will add the hair till I finish. I was just kinda tinkering with it anyway. I will also add a gradient for the eyelids.

cheeks.jpg

very nice modeling/character style !

The sss looks really nice - how are your render times?

Thank you

I am using the dublight skiylight rig which is a little bit faster than some of the others out there. This causes the render times to go up, but it is still taking about 1min to render per pass on my old computer. SSS speed and quality depend on alot of things. Lights, size of the model in relation to the lights, how close the camera is to the model, resolution, rays cast, half extinction rates, and I am sure there are more :).In regards to half extinction rates Frosteternal seems to be getting good results with some high extinction rates.

I used 5 passes on the previous render, softening the shadows in each pass.

sss.JPG

Finished the proportions on the head. I still have some work to do on it but I will move on to the body. I decided to give her a 1920's hairstyle. I added a pic of what I am trying to achieve as far as the hair goes. Crits welcome.

fc.jpg

smilez.jpg

LouiseBrookssmiling.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long delay. Real life and this economic climate have been kickin my but! I havent done much but plan to get back on this. I will give a basic idea on what the story is about soon, 2 comic book artist will storyboard it for me and a friend of mine who is an out of work 2d effects said he would help after I get the story and boarding all straight. I may use some of the characters I have already made and modify other models that came with the software (with permission of course). here is a character I was working on last night

g0.jpg

Please take this as a compliment, but I definately see a huge improvement in the smoothness of your splinage and models as a whole since last year. It makes your art style even better. Excellent!

Great characters! Really looking forward to this short.

Here was me thinking you were giving away your old characters because you were going somewhere else. Glad you didn't.

• 1 month later...

I have been playin with different methods as fas modeling goes I am planning on using a small number of patches and still get the right amount of detail using normal and displacement maps. this roof has 36 patches

roof.jpg