Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2D Illustrations

I have been working on some 2D Illustrations in A:M sorta going back to my roots; the work I use to do before getting into 3D....these were done directly within A:M they were not imported, would like some feedback as to what you think of them...

Am working on being more efficient with the slpines trying to keep it simple but it becomes complex when connecting the shapes...

-2D-

post-447-1192707049_thumb.jpg

post-447-1192707062_thumb.jpg

post-447-1192707074_thumb.jpg

post-447-1192707089_thumb.jpg

-3D-

post-447-1192707098_thumb.jpg

post-447-1192707106_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are fantastic! What an inspiration.

It's funny... a loooong time ago (2003? ;) ) I did something sort of like this using imported Illlustrator files... of course I animated them like "2D" and never thought about doing this in AM specifically as 2D artwork.

Would be very interested to see the wire frames to get a better idea of your technique.

-vern

Many thanks for the feedback gentlemen..

nimblepix - Am def considering animating in this simple style.... :)

heyvern - Vern thanks alot, here is a wireframe it's not clean as I would like it to be but am working on a more efficient method..

I just have a plane thats white with an avrg "Ambiance Intensity" 30% then I place everything on top of it with only one spot light plus toonrender on...

post-447-1192714974_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

those are wonderful images. You should make some sort of a 1 minute short with this kind of artwork. I bet you could get it on a festival.

Filling in the solid shapes sounds like a hassle, that's where I'd be tempted to start with a 2D app and import from there.

fabulous powerful effective images, with wonderful design and balance.

I have always loved so-called "primitive art" done by traditional peoples (as well as Picasso, Miro, Calder, etc).

The distililation of form is immediately accesible and emotionally appealing. Complex imagery, patterns requires thinking on the part of the observer (which also has appeal) - but clean simple symbolic stuff is grokked immediately, and is universal.

very very nice

(makes me miss my roots as well, as I have always painted in a primitive art flat style)

I have been trying to convince Martin that AM could be a kick arse 2D drawing/animation tool if only it had a "no patch" fill option for shapes that are never "3D"... like... a special fill option that didn't require legal patches of any kind just a closed shape. Like an "infinite" 5 pt patch tool.

I often dream of this feature late at night when I'm lonely. I think how wonderful it would be. We could spend long hours staring longingly at each other over the computer, talking about new exciting projects while watching 30 Rock on the internet. I would tell this new feature how wonderful it is and ask where has it been all my life.

Finally I cry myself to sleep when I realize it is only a dream.

Uh... er... Oh crap! did I say that out loud?

;)

-vern

I agree vern I think this would be an awesome feature in A:M......

The idea would be to have a spline form act like a "NURB" shape since A:M has a fluid organic spline style already all that will be needed is a way to fill it without the need for extra details...But you will still be able to add cps if need be and not affect the closed shape....

Maybe one of the pro plug-in programmers can come up with something :)

I have been trying to convince Martin that AM could be a kick arse 2D drawing/animation tool if only it had a "no patch" fill option for shapes that are never "3D"... like... a special fill option that didn't require legal patches of any kind just a closed shape. Like an "infinite" 5 pt patch tool.

Well, you don't know how much I'd love something like this...

I always have dreamed too with that cause we'd definitely have all the liberty to create anything in the most efficient way, I mean, when I have worked with a 2D app like Anime Studio or even AFX, I always have wanted to have more 3D "liberty", and well... OTOH when I work with a 3D app like A:M I have all that liberty with I dreamed but due to it has not specific 2D tools the most simple things began to complicate inevitably more and more like in the try to make that 2D patch with connected details, ohhh... how I know that is true...

So, well, that I wanted to celebrate now is that some people here seems to agree with such a feature and not only that, but they/you are treating even to convence Martin to make it possible! So, THAAANKS!!! :D And... well, just in case it could help :rolleyes:, here is all my support and best wishes :), bye!

EDIT:

"NURB"

...Oh, yeah! The power of NURBS with the "versatility" of HASH Patchs, I don't know if that could be really possible but definitely my favourite dream by far ^_^

Well of COURSE a super-efficient 2D option would be useful. How many 3D animations don't include 2D decals and backgrounds?

Hash prob'ly has a six foot stack of feature requests to work on, so this may not be realistic. But it would be nice.

I too understand it would be quite unusual to have this feature in a 3D application like AM but I have some ideas that might make it "easier" to do (no feature is "easy" of course. ;) ).

For instance this would not apply if the mesh is not completely "flat". No 3D distortion so no need to account for any changes in the direction of normals. Each "surface" would have just "one" direction, one "face", one single "patch"... 90 degrees from the surface.

This would be applied like a 5pt patch. Select a closed spline and apply.

Anyway... it is a dream... just a dream... I have a dream. I think this feature would kick some freaking arse though.

-vern

Yeah Vern that's my idea exactly..

has to be FLAT!! nothing fancy options wise... just a simple "CLOSE" function after ur shape is created..

say you create a circle you will be able to add CPs without affecting the closed shape; so you will always maintain a closed solid shape as you tweak and create ur 2D surface..

This will eliminate having to add extra details in order to just "CLOSE" the shape..

To cut a hole within the shape either use the boolean function or just have the shape drawn within the shape automatically create a hole.

If I knew anything about programming I would give it a shot..

For instance this would not apply if the mesh is not completely "flat". No 3D distortion so no need to account for any changes in the direction of normals. Each "surface" would have just "one" direction, one "face", one single "patch"... 90 degrees from the surface.

That's called a cookie-cut decal applied to a patch.

That's called a cookie-cut decal applied to a patch.

Not quite... a cookie cut decal on a single patch is not "flexible". You couldn't "add" CPs to alter the shape. It would still have only 4 or 5 CPs to make a legal patch. I see what you mean though.

Actually I did two versions of the same "flat" animated character once. One used cookie cut decals and the other used "filled" patches imported from AI. The "patch" version was harder to create but had much more flexibility in animating. The AI import works... okay for this technique... but there is a bit of clean up required. Anyway... don't want to hijack this thread too much. We should probably drop this discussion before someone drops it for us. ;)

----

Back to the original discussion...

DL, have you thought of using "long hair" splines to create custom strokes?? This idea just popped into my head. You could apply hair to a single spline around a shape to create a custom stroke with variable tapering widths (keyed hair properties) and all kinds of colors!!! This was the one thing I was stuck on. How to create "2D" strokes!!! This could even create a sort of "sketchy" look to the stroke.

Holy cow... I may have to try this myself now.

-vern

I've seen this feature in another spline program....can't remember which. It's probably similar to the "Cap" tool in poly programs. Having a multi-cp flat patch wouldn't aid animation, but it would be good for something like this.

DL, have you thought of using "long hair" splines to create custom strokes?? This idea just popped into my head. You could apply hair to a single spline around a shape to create a custom stroke with variable tapering widths (keyed hair properties) and all kinds of colors!!! This was the one thing I was stuck on. How to create "2D" strokes!!! This could even create a sort of "sketchy" look to the stroke.

Holy cow... I may have to try this myself now.

-vern

Hi vern! You can try it if you want but doesn't try to render it...

I have been experimenting a lot with this (with his pros & cos...) technique until it start to crash A:M every time I try to render any project that uses that Hair Locks, I reported the bug time ago but I've recibed any support on this :(, fact that (joined to the curious "hide" way to accede to it) make me think if that lovely feature doesn't be becoming in an abandoned one or something... that it'd be really a pity...

And Well, here is the link to the repot just in case you be interested... bye!

has to be FLAT!! nothing fancy options wise... just a simple "CLOSE" function after ur shape is created..

say you create a circle you will be able to add CPs without affecting the closed shape; so you will always maintain a closed solid shape as you tweak and create ur 2D surface..

This will eliminate having to add extra details in order to just "CLOSE" the shape..

To cut a hole within the shape either use the boolean function or just have the shape drawn within the shape automatically create a hole.

Have you thought of using a grid and then deforming the grid to your shape? essentially that's what I did when creating these 2d characters for illustrating someone else's story. I used the 2001 rig for animating

http://www.intercad-inc.com/nancy/ProjectR...eKoolKeeper.htm

You could apply a cookie cut decal to the grid to obtain irregular edges. You did say you wanted it flat - unless you don't really mean that.