Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hammerhead

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when you entered a completed version of that in a Mascot Contest several years ago. I voted for it, and thought the scene composition was excellent, though not necessarily a "mascot." To make it a mascot, you should include the backstory in your thread: who is that boy? What's his relationship to the shark? He looks like he lives on an island - does he have a family? Is he marooned? The submitted mascot image hinted at a story - what is it?

Thanks for the compliments, folks! :)

The submitted mascot image hinted at a story - what is it?

Story? Uh, story... yeah, there was a story. I even drew some rough thumbnail storyboards and scanned them but can I find them now? If I find them I will post them.

Basically the story was visualised as an ad for A:M. The mascot in this case is not one character but the team of shark and boy. The shark was to represent Animation:Master, the application. The boy is the A:M user. He is The Master and he is in control. The 'hammerhead' shark was chosen specifically to highlight the Ha:ma application which was being heavily talked up at the time.

That was the basics of the concept.

For the moment I'm just going to be tweaking and testing the models and building components for a dynamic sea world. At some point I will animate some much more interesting diving sequences, I hope.

As a kid, I used to watch an afternoon cartoon called "Marine Boy," (it was "anime" but we didn't call it that at the time). I was entranced by the idea of living underwater, (Marine Boy chewed "oxygum" to breath). Marine Boy threw a boomerang as a weapon, which could simultaneously explode half a dozen submarines into huge fireballs, (underwater fireballs - a la "anime" again). What a great show that was!

What is this kid's name?

The Hair works great underwater. (Marine Boy wore a cheesy helmut.)

• Admin
At the risk of boring you, here is a bit more:

Thats a risk easily accepted.

I always look forward to seeing more of your projects posted.

My assumption is that you've got the Shark's basic movement animated on a circular path in these examples?

• Admin
That is extremely impressive

I have to agree!

The darkness adds a lot to the scene/mood too!

Perhaps a mostly transparent rotoscope over the whole thing to murk it up a bit? (Turn the transparency up to 100% for any specific frames that absolutely need to be seen clearly)

Edit: What I mean here is to have the image move slightly to convey the direction of water in the foreground. Animating the transparency as the water moves closer/farther away.

That might add a bit more texture and tint all the colors a little more in one direction.

As it is its very clean and colorful and some saturation might give a sense of looking through something thicker than air.

Love the bubbles!

post-183-1228759324_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Spleen.

The darkness adds a lot to the scene/mood too!

I'm not sure how dark it looks on your monitor but I just checked it on my CRT and it does look a bit too dark. I setup the lighting on a flat screen and I usually use a CRT monitor for graphic work.

Does this look better or worse?:

CausticsComp01d.mov

I need to fix those hands and continue tweaking the weighting.

• Admin
Does this look better or worse?:

While I personally prefer the first (darker) one for its mood, I'd say that within context this last one looks better. From the perspective of being underwater in a tropical place and the lightheartedness of the piece it does at least.

..and BTW... I saw your contest image rotate through the forum images! I was going to link that pic in here but it escaped. A quick search in A:M Stills didn't turn it up but I know its there!

That last image you posted... sweet.