Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

OP: Ebbandflow

Hello -

After trying to use decals for facial expressions I decided to go the modeling route. So....

Attached is the star of a short I'm working on. Posting for your comments as to:

1) How does this character's personality read?

2) What is this character?

3) I'm wondering how this simple environment plays?

4) I need to fix his pointy pupils, I know.

I'm trying for simplicity and fun. My goal is to animate this fella. Thanks for any thoughts.

Doug

NewBirth.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) "I'm a raindrop"? "A raindrop that likes to dance!". To be honest, he looks kinda goofy in that pose, kinda child-friendly, if you know what I mean. Or maybe he's just a silly person/raindrop?

2) A raindrop ;)

3) I like them, they are simple, yet I'm thinking "Could... Raindrop... Oh! Oh! It's going to rains" aka. I sense a story.

4) Yes you do and yes you know :P

(Sorry for the sillyness of this post, I just hope it helps)

I think this is a cool character love the simple approach......

1) the eyes make it kinda hard to read more into his personality; but judging from his teeth etc he looks goofy or dazed.....

2) looks like a raindrop or candy of some sort.....

3) the white stuff looks like clouds, again I like the simple approach.....

looking forward to more modernhorse....

thanks for sharing.....

• Admin

Here's my take Doug:

1) How does this character's personality read?

Have to be honest... I'm not reading much. As Robert mentioned the mouth is where he seems to be getting his personality from... usually (and especially with a character without arms and legs) it'll be the eyes.

2) What is this character?

I'm a little raindrop. Yup. Yup.

3) I'm wondering how this simple environment plays?

The simplicity plays well. It's an interesting... sewn silk pillow effect.

4) I need to fix his pointy pupils, I know.

I'd suggest changing his pupils and making them black.

This would solve the issue of #1 above. Since none of your colors are really solid a dark grey surrounded by blue might work well.

Please post more. :)

• Admin

Doug,

If you are going for 'dazed and confused' the white pupils work fine.

If not you I think you'll need more definition even if it's a subtle color in a darker shade.

Light (and especially white) pupils tend to suggest blindness, confusion or loss of perception. This can be played well in certain characters of course.

As far as construction of the eyes and the removal of the pointy pupils, I'd say... "Right On. You've got it!" :)

If you plan on having him blink you'll want to consider eyelids of course.

Hi again -

Now that I've mostly settled on the character, i'm moving on to finishing up the set. Attached is my wip.

After finally finding the time for Marcel's Treez plugin I'm having a blast. However, I think the trees i've come up with are too 'realistic' looking for this toon-like setting. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. If anyone has a slew of toony trees they'd like to donate I'd owe you a cup of coffee.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Doug

SetTestA.jpg

Thanks Zaryin! Easy as pie. Spheres (primitives at that) that are just plunked on top of one another. A little transparency, add some glow and voila! I actually studied Artbox's clouds for his short for the look.

I had another idear for the trees. I dig this look. Same concept as clouds. I think it's coming together. It has to, I'm low on time. :P

Attached is yet another set test. The tree in the foreground is what I'm talking about.

Doug

SetTestB.jpg

Thanks Zaryin! Easy as pie. Spheres (primitives at that) that are just plunked on top of one another. A little transparency, add some glow and voila! I actually studied Artbox's clouds for his short for the look.

I had another idear for the trees. I dig this look. Same concept as clouds. I think it's coming together. It has to, I'm low on time. :P

Attached is yet another set test. The tree in the foreground is what I'm talking about.

Doug

That tree looks good. Reminds me of the work of Eyvind Earl (The Earl) http://www.gallery21.com/

If i was you . . . i would use the symboyant plugin for dark tree textures, and use a really deep and meeningfull eye . . . then have one (or both of them be lazy). That always gets across a good first impression . . . if you want him to look goofy and dumb (and kind of helpless [big pupils]). My 2 cents

ben

Better! Better! Much, much better!

Thanks Mr Jage.

i would use the symboyant plugin for dark tree textures

Thanks, but I'm not sure I know what that is. Is this a procedural included with A:M? Or is this a third party thing? I'm presuming that latter. I've pretty much moved on with the character, in the interest of the deadline, but I'm open to revising him for later use or the next character.

Thanks guys.

Doug

I like it... but the raindrop character needs some shine-- a nice strong thin specular highlight! It would be funny if he cried and the teardrops turned into drops like him. :lol:

Okay guys, good thoughts. Here's a render that shows all updates as I have them. As I say, I've moved on but I guess I have changed him enough to update the thread.

I appreciate all the suggestions and critiques.

Doug

DropFrame95.jpg

Yeah, nice work overall. I like the expressive potential of the mouth, and I really like your approach to the trees and clouds. I might try to make the tree trunks as bouncy/cartoony as the boughs and clouds, but they're nice as is.

I am also working on a project with alien/cartoony trees and it's interesting to see how others approach this sort of thing without getting all Dr. Seussy.

Thanks for your comments guys. Today's update is to the first scene of the short. I've decided this is final, with the exception of the ground plane.

Next week I'll upload some animation. Cheers for now.

Doug

Just took a look at this and notice one small thing you may want to change. On the right hand side of the frame for this camera angle, the tree in the distance seems to be dangling from the tree in the foreground. You may want to move the one in the background.

Love the look!

Scott

the tree in the distance seems to be dangling from the tree in the foreground
Hmm, yeah I see that. This won't be a still so maybe it won't really show up.

Thanks for all of your comments. Very encouraging.

Doug

Yes - not only animation - I will have some sound too - a raindrop - that is really poetic - can be great - and then the realism - this drop has got bad teeth - I just wonder why? perhaps has something to do with water pollution?

http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/society/waterpollution.htm

That would be a great story - poetic raindrops falling down into todays reality...

I believe this raindrop can turn into some really nice...

:D

Hi all - Yes, i've got a master plan and have begun animating him but I've got no where to post my anim's at the moment. So I'll guess you'll just have to wait until the mini-movie contest is complete before you see. btw - have you all considered entering?

There will be no dialog except maybe a couple of grunts and/or guttural vocalizations. At least not for this short.

Appreciate your continuing interest. :D

Doug

Okay - decided to put up a bit of animation to whet your appetites, and to give you a hint of his personality. Comments welcome of course (note - I don't know how much time i'll have to employ your suggestions as the deadline is looming).

Doug

Sc11testA.mov