Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

10 second club entry December 2004

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to know how to reply to this without sounding like Starwarsguy. . . so I won't bother hiding it.

Way to go! Great work!

Would be cool if the "dad" character reacted a little to the fish being eaten. . . I know hiw voice doesn't really imply any emotion but . . . hmm. . . a little something.

Ahh. . . what do I know.

Again great work.

• Hash Fellow

That looks wonderful! Great looking characters. Repeats to all the good comments above, especially the "render" quality.

The only misgiving I had was some initial confusion as to whether the first voice was the fish's or the boy's. I think this is because the fish is more prominently located and his mouth is more active, drawing my attention away from the boy. It wasn't until the voice appeared "out of synch" with the fish, that I started looking elsewhere for the speaker. edit: and on my mpg player at least, the first frame stays frozen for an instant, losing all motion of the boy's mouth entirely.

I think if you could just have the yellow fish not "talk" until after the boy finishes "...good or bad" you could eliminate that doubt entirely. I don't think this would hurt the scenario since "talking" isn't mentioned until the dad's speech.

Still, a fine looking shot! How much time to put it together?

Beautiful clip!

I always like your lighting and feel for colors.Scenario is fun and original. Nice bubbles! (i recently watched your tutorial on particle systems). My only crit(after watching 20 times) or little thing that i think could have been added, is a little something happening in the aquarium, some earlier swift action that would justifie a little more the pause of the father.

Great work!

You've got a definite style Shaun, it comes though in all your work. Great stuff and great interpretation of the audio clip.

I like the subtlety of the father there. I think the child's big reaction is the one to take centre stage and perhaps if the dad has equally as big a reaction it might be too much, so I think you've got it just about right.

The only thing I might change is maybe putting a little bit more emphasis in the formation of the child's first couple of words.

Oh yeah, the teeth of the yellow fish throws me a little. Human style teeth in a fish? Creepy ;) I really like the green one though, great design and movement.

Steve.

Thanks very much for the comments. I appreciate it! Although critiques are useful, sometimes its nice when people give you a thump on the back and say 'Good job FREEMAN!!!'

:)

Despite the distance and the fact that this is the internet, consider this a back thump and "Good Job, FREEMAN!" :D

I agree the the render quality is extraordinary. Any willingness to share tips and secrets with the masses?

Scott

I should also add a great note of thanks to Sam Buntrock who has been developing the rig (based around Jason Osipa's facial animation controls) which I used to animate the two guys is the clip.

Along with his wonderful original design, we modelled and rigged the human characters and decided to try setting it up with the new controls. Without his expertise, I'd be shuffling pose sliders rather than using the much more intuitive method of nulls.

• 3 weeks later...
I should also add a great note of thanks to Sam Buntrock who has been developing the rig (based around Jason Osipa's facial animation controls) which I used to animate the two guys is the clip.

Along with his wonderful original design, we modelled and rigged the human characters and decided to try setting it up with the new controls. Without his expertise, I'd be shuffling pose sliders rather than using the much more intuitive method of nulls.

And links to this information? Sounds like it would be a good read. Nice job on the short, I enjoyed. I too was confused about the fish talking - can you explain why he is? I must be stupid, I don't get it!

Your work is great,

if there was one thing I'd have to point out is that in the beginning I tought that the tallet character was some kind of reflection of the smaller one, (maybe it's just me), but it would be so much better if the t-shirts of the two characters were different!

For the rest, one of the best clips in A:M I've seen yet!!!

Your work is great,

if there was one thing I'd have to point out is that in the beginning I tought that the taller character was some kind of reflection of the smaller one, (maybe it's just me), but it would be so much better if the t-shirts of the two characters were different!

For the rest, one of the best clips in A:M I've seen yet!!!