Sandy...

Xtaz

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're doing fine but we're up the Hudson and somewhat sheltered compared to the folks in NJ, Brooklyn and Manhattan. I shot a timelapse movie overnight but it's (fortunately!) not much to look at.

My office has been closed but since I live close by I went in this morning anyway, however the building power is out so I just turned around and came back. The biggest shock was the number of trees, limbs and powerlines downed, and side streets blocked off with traffic cones, just in the mile between home and office. We're experiencing gusty winds and sporadically torrential rains today. We definitely got off easy!

We're doing fine but we're up the Hudson and somewhat sheltered compared to the folks in NJ, Brooklyn and Manhattan. I shot a timelapse movie overnight but it's (fortunately!) not much to look at.

My office has been closed but since I live close by I went in this morning anyway, however the building power is out so I just turned around and came back. The biggest shock was the number of trees, limbs and powerlines downed, and side streets blocked off with traffic cones, just in the mile between home and office. We're experiencing gusty winds and sporadically torrential rains today. We definitely got off easy!

Hi Gerry ...I'm glad you are fine ... Here in Brazil we don't have this kind of natural phenomenon, at most a strong storm. Should be troubling to witness this nature's fury. Well, my best wishes for you.

A lot of gloom and doom was predicted up my way (Albany NY), but thankfully we got off with wind only. The mountains around us (I'm down in the Hudson river valley) took on a lot of rain and wind gusts close to 80mph, but that's it. The big fear around here was that it would be a repeat of last year's Irene, which which really hit us hard, with most of the areas still trying to rebuild.

All in all, nothing more than a witches' fart for us! ;)

Well.... I guess I was lucky here. And am counting my blessings.

A few big tree limbs down and some large trees in the neighborhood.

Worst all is/was the power outage. Many others still "out".

How strange the silence is in the darkness for 20 hours (my house).

Thankful for my new iPhone, no wifi, but I was ok for phone calls.

I Found myself reading some old sci-fi short stories by candle light.

I'm centrally (north-south-wise) located on Long Island but the south shore

really took a serious beating. A couple friends in Long Beach lost everything

with the flooding. Just horrible there.

What horrifies me most, is like in lower Manhattan, where there is still no power. Like people living in 18th floor apartments with no elevators, no water, nothing ! OMG!

There's thousands of residents who will become desperate there soon and now the

looting has begun on top of that. It'll be like the wild west there soon.

It's the worst weather event I have ever been in and I have lived here in this house 60 years.

New Jersey was probably the worst hit, Obama is to visit there today.

Mother Nature can be a real bitch, when she wants to.

Angus

There's a lot of concern about seawater getting into the subway tunnels but I guess it's wait-and-see more than anything.

The devastation in Breezy Point, Queens, where over a hundred homes burned to the ground is heartbreaking though. Apparently home to a lot of cops and firefighters.

As you can see most of the south shore on Long Island is only 1-2 meters in elevation.

This includes ~ 5-10 miles inland from the sea shore.

Freeport is the worst, it floods out there with only 1-2 inches on a bad rainy day.

The highest point on the Island is near Huntington at only 411 feet.

Historical note; That's about where Walt Whitmans house was located.

litopo.png

• Admin
Freeport is the worst, it floods out there with only 1-2 inches on a bad rainy day.

I think this may be the area where I saw pictures of damaged houses which were built on (3 - 4 foot) stilts?

So they are obviously use to getting a little water going through the area.

It reminds me of all along the Mississippi river in those areas that are flooded every year. While they do usually have a garage on the ground level, the living space is never on the first story level because that is where they expect the water to rise above when it is at flood level.

Subways are always a concern because they extend well below the water table and pump out millions of gallons of water even in the best of weather.

I am reminded of some of the huge water ways they've built underneath Tokyo in order to stem a similar disaster.

These images remind me of something out of Will Sutton's Balrog renderings from a few years ago. Unlike LoTR, these aren't fantasy or figments of the imagination but rather the executed plans of people that know the powerful and disastrous effects that can be felt when living near or below nature's water level.

@Gerry from Jerry (GAngus), and Y'all

Long Island, NY, the coastal area - that is... is a major disaster, all the way out to Montauk Point.

Many homes within a 1 mile distance from the ocean and those that are even only on the numerous bay areas are totaled out. I have spoken with many people who live there and many of them have had 4-5 feet of water in / on the main floor. And the basement is full if there is one.

In Freeport one house had THREE 25-30 footers on their front lawn. Boats that had drifted away from marinas during the flooding.

No older homes are built up on pilings. A few of the newer ones are, but not many at all.

I know, down in "the Keys" it's actually part of the building code for all new homes MUST be up 10 feet on cement pilings. Yet down there there are still many "existing" older homes that are on ground level too.

Central LI is quite a mess also, MANY signal lights are still out and the lines at gas stations extend for blocks, all day long, many just trying to get gas for their generators.

Driving is generally dangerous and there are MANY large trees down as well as electrical poles too.

It will take weeks or even months in some areas before there is any semblance of normality.

Many people have lost Everything with their homes totally gone.

I would say that at least 1/2 of the Island is still without power at this point in time.

I was so lucky. I Lost power monday night and it's been back on since tuesday afternoon.

Just across the street from me is still out. Kind of bizarre with that. Someone said to me that they actually used odd/even house numbering to decide who gets power back. I have not been able to verify that yet, but there are a lot of streets where this condition does exist.

I have my legal shotgun all cleaned up and right by the front door, just in case.

And now the taxes will go up again, probably.

God help us all, everyone. Like tiny tim said.

I would love to move back to Kansas where I went to college sometimes except for the tornadoes.

Jerry "GAngus"

P.S. Yeah, old NYNJA guy Dennis Borruso " countfrogula AT yahoo.com" is still "alive n kickin" with his many ventures.

Pretty sure he does that FaceBook thing too.

And Mike Stamm (lukbat) .. who went with 3DS Max and has a nice web site still. (ebon dot org).

Glad you're well, Jerry. My brother was in a nursing home in Sayville recovering from surgery and had to be evac'ed to Stony Brook, but apparently they were able to move everyone back to Sayville even though the nursing home was only about three blocks from the bay. Take care, don't drive, keep that shotgun clean! I heard they had to call out the Nat'l Guard in Lindenhurst because of looting, but haven't seen any confirmation of that. Stay safe.

I'm going to post my timelapse movie though it doesn't show much. The view we have out our window is shockingly normal, but two or three blocks in the other direction there are limbs, trees and power lines down.

We went out last night (Thursday) and all the bars and restaurants were PACKED.

i got power back yesterday.

my town got wrecked by the storm. but we fair a lot better than other towns around us.

i live in Jackson. my studio that i had for photography is out in the ocean now.

it was right off the route 35 bridge going into seaside heights.

lucky for us we moved our equipment out of there a 2 days prior to the storm.

so i need to find a new studio.

route_35_bridge_tfd_studio_location.jpg

Im just feel blessed to have power, better yet a home compared to some friends who lost their houses.

we are getting a lot of help but need a lot more in some of the more harder hit areas.

The damage being noted from Sandy in NYC/Jersey is at the same level as the damage done up here last year from Irene. That storm caused the Hudson/Mohawk rivers to overflow, flooding whole towns out, destroying farm land, etc. What I find interesting, is that you don't see mention of that damage, and even days after Irene, no mention of it. It took local volunteers to get the towns back on their feet, and they're still at it, with many families still living in FEMA trailers, over a year later.

• Hash Fellow
The damage being noted from Sandy in NYC/Jersey is at the same level as the damage done up here last year from Irene. That storm caused the Hudson/Mohawk rivers to overflow, flooding whole towns out, destroying farm land, etc. What I find interesting, is that you don't see mention of that damage, and even days after Irene, no mention of it. It took local volunteers to get the towns back on their feet, and they're still at it, with many families still living in FEMA trailers, over a year later.

I bet part of that was the media narrative that Irene was somehow not nearly as serious as predicted. They were pushing the predictions of apocalyptic damage before it hit and then when it didn't quite hit in the worst possible way they decided it wasn't so bad after all.

• Admin
I posted my time-lapse movie, though it's not extremely dramatic it's interesting.

Gerry,

Those particles trees could use a little more jitter. That or just render and use a still image. ;)

What in the world did they do before film and video to capture this stuff???

It's hard sometimes for us to think such things could be captured with words.

my town got wrecked by the storm. but we fair a lot better than other towns around us.

i live in Jackson. my studio that i had for photography is out in the ocean now.

Im just feel blessed to have power, better yet a home compared to some friends who lost their houses.

we are getting a lot of help but need a lot more in some of the more harder hit areas.

I'm in east Windsor NJ, still no power. We just had a lot of wind damage, a lot of power lines down.

That image is the mantoloking bridge, I'm in construction (flooring) and was working on a job about 2 blocks from there. Most of the jobs I've been working on, are in that area. I may be out of work for awhile. It's going to be awhile before we can get back in there.

The damage there is unreal!

I'm in east Windsor NJ, still no power. We just had a lot of wind damage, a lot of power lines down.

That image is the mantoloking bridge, I'm in construction (flooring) and was working on a job about 2 blocks from there. Most of the jobs I've been working on, are in that area. I may be out of work for awhile. It's going to be awhile before we can get back in there.

The damage there is unreal!

yeah im hearing that they have to rebuild the land first before they start construction on anything. they said they might widen that area by 100 ft on each side

but these are just rumors im hearing from my construction friends.

called my friend (business partner) hes talking with the landlord about the property and said hes going to rebuild so our lease is on hold until then.

• *A:M User*

Mark and fellow east coasters. I am sorry you are going through this. Here in our area we deal with tornados but no where as wide spread as what you guys got. Our thoughts are with you guys and hope the power comes back on soon!!

Steve