sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Whatever happened to Vern?

Roger

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious, I googled Vern and found this.

Unfortunately, it seems to go south and the latest mentions (in another thread) were about him not responding to any attempts at contacting him.

The long and short of it seems to be that Vern set up a subscription-model tutorial site but stopped updating it. A year ago he suggested that he might do something to rectify the situation to his subscribers, but apparently never followed through. The site is still functional and folks are sending in their PayPal fees to gain access to the tutorials, but aren't given login info, despite their having paid. They are only getting their money back after setting up disputes via PayPal.

Vern is listed as working at a web design company, but he doesn't seem to be a vocal presence and his Twitter account only contains one tweet from last November.

Hate to hear this. I hope Vern's okay. He seemed a decent fellow and he's certainly missed here on the A:M forums.

Just as an aside, on the front page of his tutorial site, he mentioned that he was going to start doing A:M tutorials, but never got around to that.

Yeah- I for one, loved to pick on Vern- Photoshopping his avatar into various pictures... he rolled with it quite well and seemed to enjoy it. I hope I didn't go too far. The wife and I were passing thru PA once and I really wanted to stop by to meet him. At the time, he was making some remarkable progress on a 'rag-doll' setup.

I worry that bad health may have affected him. STRANGELY ENOUGH- He disappeared from our scene at JUST about the same time that Martin Hash said his good-bye. Wonder if he got some 'sour-grapes' misinformation about the future of 3D animation from the Grand-Poobah and saw greener grass on another side of a fence somewhere...

He was a wonderful presence on the forum, I miss him.

We are left to wonder.

• *A:M User*
Yeah- I for one, loved to pick on Vern- Photoshopping his avatar into various pictures... he rolled with it quite well and seemed to enjoy it. I hope I didn't go too far. The wife and I were passing thru PA once and I really wanted to stop by to meet him. At the time, he was making some remarkable progress on a 'rag-doll' setup.

I worry that bad health may have affected him. STRANGELY ENOUGH- He disappeared from our scene at JUST about the same time that Martin Hash said his good-bye. Wonder if he got some 'sour-grapes' misinformation about the future of 3D animation from the Grand-Poobah and saw greener grass on another side of a fence somewhere...

He was a wonderful presence on the forum, I miss him.

We are left to wonder.

Since I don't want to get banned, I want to pick and choose my words carefully. I can see maybe getting some sour-grapes info from another forum user, but from what very little I know of Martin ( I've only met him once - my character assessment is coming from his postings, mainly) he doesn't seem like the sour grapes type.

• *A:M User*

I wasn't aware that Martin had actually disappeared, I thought he was still on safari? Or did he come back and is just hanging out somewhere?

• Admin
I wasn't aware that Martin had actually disappeared, I thought he was still on safari? Or did he come back and is just hanging out somewhere?

Word on the street is that after leaving Africa, Martin tracked the elusive Vern to South America.

Okay... maybe not quite that but... Martin WAS recently recently seen trekking through South America.

I'm confident Martin will eventually find Vern and bring him back to the US but if it happens too soon that'll ruin the movie adaption and the box office returns will suffer considerably.

I'm not sure about the Vern Connection but Martin is on the grid:

http://www.martinhash.com/forums/

Vern is still missing in action.

Vern made some incredible progress and put a lot of work into his final peace of cg. I approached him a bout making a site that sold tutorials, he liked the idea and showed me a prototype of the site but quickly disappeared. It was very odd.

I too worried about him.

• 2 weeks later...
that looks funny on first sight: all posts from Martin Hash.

seems he prefers to talk to himself. At least his way he gets no counter opinions.

It seems more like he's using forum software as a personal blog. I think it's an interesting way of doing it.

• 1 month later...

A Vern response! At least I *think* it is our Vernon...

Pasted from the Hubumedia Facebook:

Vern here, I am now living on a farm in Virginia and raise goats. I am cut off from the grid entirely and have no internet or electricity. I live off the land and have my own well for water.... uh... wait a second... uh... you may be wondering how I work with the internets... uh... I created a wireless satelite internet reciever from old barn doors wrapped in tinfoil and held together with duct tape, connected to a manual typewriter I found on the side of the road... yeah that's it. :)

The link:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/HubuM...gn/227834638527