Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

WIP: Ladybug

Hi guys,

I just wanted to show you my latest little project I was working on for the weekend.

In 3dArtist (issue 20) there was a really amazing image of a very photoreal ladybug. I tried to archieve the same photorealism but could not archieve that till now.

Anyway I think the result is still quite good and I wanted to show it to you guys.

If someone of you can give me a few tips on how to make it look even more real, let me know... I would be happy to hear about it!

I attached a preview-rendering and an wireframe of the scene.

Hope you like it... Critiques are welcome!

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: Just found the artist's website the image was from, so I have to say that the printed image looks even cooler: Andrzej's Website

preview_rendering_2_marienkaefer.jpg

preview_rendering_2_marienkaefer_wire.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does look good - nice composition!

Things that immediately stand out that might help realism:

1) Black dots don't seem to be indented on real bug. Missing the line/bump down middle. More stripey variation in the red coloring, missing white area. Hairs on leg should be finer? Not sure if black dot pattern on real lady bug is symmetric - yours doesn't appear to be.

2) head shape/coloring is off

3) waterdrops could use some reflections/caustics (would be neat to reflect bug). Something funny about the coloring of waterdrops, is it the lighting?

ladybug.jpg

Wonderful!

Steve

Thank you guys (and gales ;) ).

That is a really nice reference image... mine didn't let me see the shape of the bug's head in that detail.

I'll have a look at the head again... I didnt like it much anyway because the shape was very uniform.

See you and thanks again

*Fuchur

Here is an update of my work...

I re-shaped the head a little, raised the glossyness with the Glossy-Shader and changed a few settings connected to the water-drops.

How do you like it?

See you

*Fuchur*

lady_bug_3.jpg

• Hash Fellow
raised the glossyness with the Glossy-Shader

Do you have "plugin shaders" ON when you render? The spec highlights still look a bit soft.

OR... you could turn off spec highlights entirely and use the environment map for sharp highlights.

Do you use 100% sharpness on the glossy-shader? I am only using 75% and thought it looks just more like the image I am after. (see first post)

He is using quite smooth highlights there too. Anyway, here is a rendering with 90% sharpness.

I am quite sure that any bug who is older than a day had some kind of fights, etc and will look, from a near perspective like that...

Nevertheless I turned the bump on the black parts a bit down.

*Fuchur*

lady_bug_4.jpg