Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

rubberguy - training lessons for upcoming superheroes

there he comes... finally...

the first of maybe a few shorts of "RUBBERGUY - TRAINING LESSONS FOR UPCOMING SUPERHEROES" (i know i forgot the "e" in heroes in the trailerscreen, will be fixed...)

the idea was to make a squetch-rigged character (my first one with that rig so far) that can extremely bend (that´s his superpower ;)). i always wanted to make that kind of squetchy moves but never knew how to make that until i found the squetch-rig, thanks to all the guys who were involved developing it.

then i remembered the sportgoofy-clips where goofy does different sport-disciplines and sucks at all. and i thought: "hey, why don´t you do that sort of thing with your character, only with superhero-disciplines like flying, bullet-catching, train-stopping etc..."

i hope you´ll like it, feel free to criticize if you see anything that can be made better (i already found a lot of things by my own, but before the next render-odysee i want to collect some more stuff to change).

but please don´t be too cruel ;), i made everthing by my own, modeling, rigging, animating, parts of the music and sounds, spoke the narrator-voice etc...

thanks....

rubberguy_lesson_one_lower.mov

rg_still.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Good pacing. Good storytelling. Nice clean animation.

A couple of the holds seemed a little long, especially right before the snap.

The action line in the snap shot sequence get a little vague, I think the middle shot of the snap needs to hold two or three frames more to establish the change in direction.

Okay, thats about as niggling as I can get.

Good work.

Very nice. Good pacing. Good storytelling. Nice clean animation.

A couple of the holds seemed a little long, especially right before the snap.

The action line in the snap shot sequence get a little vague, I think the middle shot of the snap needs to hold two or three frames more to establish the change in direction.

Okay, thats about as niggling as I can get.

Good work.

yeah, that was one of the things i´m going to tweak... i think you´re even right about the number of frames, more than 2 or 3 and the impact will be too soft, but right now it´s a bit too fast...

thanks...

Nice. The only real crit I'd have is limbs stopping instantly within a frame. No slow down or tweens. But maybe you were going for that style. There's alot of talent coming out of the woodwork.

Very nice! I did write a full critique last night but then my connection to the Hash forums was severed so I lost it.

I like the Warner Bros type of intro and the music sets a light and jovial mood. The presentation is very good.

A few things that I noticed:

-The left thumb penetrates the left leg at around the 18 second mark.

-Perhaps Rubberguy could fly out of frame completely before cutting to the splat sequence?

-You might want to try changing the lighting so that it illuminates the other side of the street. This would create a better silhouette in the sequence where he is flying towards the camera and would also add more contrast to the final "splat" sequence. Just a thought.

I like the thought bubble. Did you do that in After Effects?

Very good all around! :)

I hope you keep these going.

thanks to all, i´m glad you enjoyed it...

ken: you´re right, that´s the style i was going for, fast moves with stiff freezes... more like johnny bravo or something like that...

paul: thanks for the thumb-thing, i haven´t noticed that yet. (not so easy with this giant hands ;))

i was thinking about illuminating the splat-area a bit more, but i´ll let the main direction of the light as it is, the main time of that scene the camera comes from the left, so i have that kind of contrast for the whole time as he bends backwards and the time before the snap, and i like the shadows on the wall. if i´d change the direction of the light his face would be too dark and there would be no shadows on the wall...

the thought bubble was made in a:m, no after effects at all, just premiere for cutting...

to all: yes, it needs to be tweaked at some points, i agree...

thanks again....

Wow that was really good.

I mean it looks so effortless.

my crit: when he backing up holding on the upright poles, his back is straight, I feel like it would be better if he was

sort of bent over a bit so it looks like he is pulling something.

But really over all this was great!!!

This is a great start and a fun theme! As has been mentioned, I think it needs to be snappier overall. You can move something like this along pretty quickly and the viewer will still "get it". More please!