Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Wannabe Pirates

largento

Thanks, David!

I went through and finished up re-lighting and beefing up the backgrounds for the strips I've done so far. I set up a webpage here with all of them, so I can see 'em in one place and mark my progress!

Whew! This one was a lot tougher to do!

I set it up as one choreography and I'd kind of been dreading it for awhile, but I liked this gag and wanted to see it finished. This was the first strip I came up with when I started thinking about the story.

Here it is:

part_007_01.jpg

And here's the actual render:

fullrender.jpg

I made a png file of the panel template and brought that into A:M as a layer to help me set it up so that everything would fall correctly in the panels.

Looks great. I'm a little confused as to why the witch doctor rolls on the ground. Does Flemm pull him too hard? And although he goes over Flemm, he's still ends up landing behind him. But maybe time has gone by.

Thank you, gentlemen!

Ken, there's a hitching post at waist level that Flemm has dragged the Doc into ...so he's spinning around that and then being launched from the spin into the bell and wooden sign. Flemm must have continued walking during this and thus ended up where he did. Admittedly it's cartoon physics. :-)

I don't know, I think the contrast is fine. I just think it's a tricky thing to read and the coverage of the panel precludes trying to give a dialogue explanation.

I dub it successful in what it needs to get across... that Flemm has unintentionally given Doc Bokor cause to curse him. Whether people think he tripped on something or get the actual intention isn't important.

Ended up working on other things yesterday and running errands, so today I made up for it by doing 2 strips!

Finally the sun's back out! :-)

part_008.jpg

part_009.jpg

I've got one more I written then I have to go back and write the next batch.

Aha!...the aliens caused the eclipse! ... no? ...well, they shoulda... (jes' messin' with ya)

You one major cranking machine, you are.

Is your partner helping with the ideas or is this mainly on your own?

Hoping to become the major cranking machine, Nancy! Even though I'm trying to have 10 week buffer when it starts running, I'm still going to need to crank out 5 of these each week for ...well, forever. :-)

Before we knew I was going to do the art in 3D, I started working out the basic story. Then a few weeks back, McCrary flew out here and we spent a couple of days talking out more of the details for this and another story we're working on.

The process varies, but usually we're doing a video iChat to discuss the next section of the story, suggesting gags; and then I'm going and writing up 5 or so strips and then sending them to McCrary to review and make suggestions. Then I try to marry all that together into the final strips.

So, there's definitely some back and forth.

Strip #10!

part_010.jpg

Four days and four strips!

Not going to be able to do one tomorrow, though. I've got to write the next batch of scripts and there's some things I need for this next section that aren't finished yet.

It'll be historic, though! Flemm's about to buy The Sea Anemone!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys!

Andy, I don't know that I'm entirely satisfied with them myself. I may yet mess with them again before they go online in December! As I recall, this set up had a white rimlight, a sort of lavender colored keylight and a light blue fill.

I'm just glad I don't have any more night scenes planned for this story! :-)

Wow....you're motoring now! Tell me, is the sales man...den den den..... actually Mr Sneeze? I've never seen them in the same strip together. :)

The last cell is unusual in that the speaker has their back turned. I don't know if I've ever seen that before.

Wow....you're motoring now! Tell me, is the sales man...den den den..... actually Mr Sneeze? I've never seen them in the same strip together. :)

The last cell is unusual in that the speaker has their back turned. I don't know if I've ever seen that before.

No, the bookseller is not Mr. Sneeze.... He's Henrietta! :-)

I wouldn't count on Flemm ever learning. He doesn't seem to recognize that there are people who would take advantage of him. :-)

Only one strip today. My allergies have been making me miserable all day...

part_013.jpg

I have to do some writing before I get into doing today's strips. I'm hoping to get 2 done today!

But, I wanted to ask for your help! Trying to get votes for the webcomic on this Top Web Comics site. I discovered the comic was listed on it last week and it was in the 5,000s. I've been trying to get people to vote and with just 20 votes, we're already up to 501. Hoping we can make it up into the top 100!

Click here to vote!

Thanks!

The site lets you vote once a day, so if you do happen to go to read the comic, look for the little blue "TWC" button underneath the comic (on the right side) and vote each time. It resets every month, so as many people as I can get to vote regularly, the better!

Hoping to build up some awareness! I'm going to do a little Webcomics convention here in November and I saw something about it somewhere and the quote I read was "it was a bunch of webcomics you've never heard of." Not exactly ego-boosting. :-)

voted twice now. Largento, is there any way you can put the vote link in your signature so it will be easy to click on in the future?

[edit] Dude, you're at 357! Keep up the guerrilla marketing :)

Maybe have some simple contest every month.

Some security would have to be set up, but here is a simple idea.

Place a page on your web site that has a simple form with an email field, and an iframe that loads your voting page on topwebcomics in it.

Every time someone goes to your site, enters their email address and votes (through the iframe), their email address either gets sent to you or gets stored in a database.

Every month, run a script that chooses a random email address from the list.

The winner gets an original signed panel from the Wannabe Pirates suitable for collecting sent to them via snail mail.

The more times someone votes (maximum of once per day of course), the more times their email address gets added to the list and so they have a greater chance of winning.

Thanks, guys!

voted twice now. Largento, is there any way you can put the vote link in your signature so it will be easy to click on in the future?

I think I can ...that's a great idea!

Finished up #15 today. This will probably be the last one for this week. I need to write a new batch and do some modeling!

part_015.jpg

I was supposed to be writing the next five strips and lettering five more Greyhawk pages, but I put that off until tomorrow to play with this! I decided to make a one-off poster that I could get framed and put on my wall. Wal-Mart charges less than $16 for a 20"x30" print...

wbp_3d_poster.jpg

I may play with it some more, but I think it came out pretty cool! When I get everything done with this Curse of Greyhawk Island story, I think I'll do a "movie" poster for it, too!

Thanks, guys! I do appreciate it!

Gonna' check on file info to send this poster off to print! Hopefully I can find a cheap frame while I'm at it! I'm realizing that the last time I made a poster for myself was when I was in high school. :-)

Everything since then has been for somebody else!

It feels good to do one just for me! :-)