Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Yoda

KenH

I had his head modelled wrong....it's kind of pointy and so that shaved some off the head making the ears look bigger. From those pictures I can see his head may be too high. Thanks for the pics!

I'd like to keep him real low spline so I'll try displacements. If it doesn't work, all I'll have to do is re flatten and try again.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I intended for the next update to be textured, but I can't get over the difference eye color/size/position makes. (I think his eyes are actually brown now) So here's another one.

yodaa1.jpg

I guess I'm modeling him all now. :D I'm trying to get his body proportion right. I intend to cover this with a cloth cloak with a hood. This won't be cloth and I'm going to add creases using displacement maps. On to his hands and feet.....

yoda1.jpg

• Admin

Nice!

I guess its safe to say we've passed the point of no return and Yoda won't be just a bust?

Woo hoo is right! :)

Great fun seeing a Star Wars character (Yoda even!) come to life in this manner.

Really looking forward to the texturing process.

Pointy toes it is....

I'm experimenting with simcloth but when it falls, it "irons out" the creases I've modelled (see image). Is there any way to preserve those creases while still having simcloth effect them?

Also, I'd like to give the cloak some thickness but I'm keeping it simple for now.

PS I discovered that hooks don't work well with cloth.

yoda1.jpg

• Admin

Ken,

I've only done rudimentary tests with SimCloth but I don't really see the need for 'dropping' the cloth.

You might try to just model and place it pretty close to where you want it and simulate from there.

A Japanese schoolgirl skirt I created (with pleats) worked really well that way.

If I can recreate it I'd like to make the experiment a mini-tutorial for the Extra DVD.

Been experimenting with cloth and texture with Bitmap Plus (cool plugin!). I don't think I'm there yet (it's hard to make it look good) and I'm worried cloth will be prohibitive for animation. But I don't know any other way to go. Anyway, I'll leave that for now and move on to texturing. Got to buy 3DPainter now! :D

yoda1.jpg

Looks awsome! I cant wait to see him moving. I made Yoda's light saber a while back. You can use it if you want. Just Pm me your e-mail address and ill send it to you. His body looks really good! I cant wait to see him when hes done! :)

-dude

post-9147-1157331401_thumb.jpg

Cheers guy.

Dude: That's a nice saber! Alas, someone else said they were working on it before now, so I'm sorted on that. But thanks for the offer.

About his body....my model seems to have a longer body than the one in the last image. Or maybe it's the angle.....

Correct. I think I might even get away with straightening the ear using the rig....it might need some cp tweaks too.

Here's the test map on his face to check for any stretching. In the previous render, you could see the deviding groups for flattening.

The face will be on a 2048x2048px decal while the foot and hand will be on another 2048x2048px decal. Then I'll CFA the foot and hand.

Oh and btw, I tried putting hair on his cloth cloak and it worked. I thought we couldn't do that.....so anyone needing fur coats, fire away! :lol:

Now for 3DPainter!

yod.jpg