Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Animation Update

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

I like the boots better than the clubs he/she/it had before.

The house looks nice, except for the smallest round part on the lower portion of the house.

It looks like a clown nose, otherwise it looks good.

Go Badgers

David

Checked out your project website and the story seemed to be pretty good. I like the presentation in verse.

Agree with the comments that the boots look better than the original feet.

New monster textured reminds me of a potato! Not a criticism, just what it reminded me of when I first say it. Since he lives underground, maybe it makes sense that he looks like a potato.

Could you post both characters side by side? I'm just curios how similar they look. You may want to have other characteristics other than the color and texture to differentiate them. Best way to tell would be to look at them side by side.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the replies!

Biotron2000 - Unfortunately I already deleted that pose, so I can't make a textured render easily. If I get some time later I'll try to re-pose it.

I've been working more on the cave. I thought it would be cool to have glowing mushrooms lighting the cave. I like the colors I got, but I want the whole thing a little bit brighter (I'm rendering a new version right now) What do you guys think of the mushroom idea?

http://mvandeweghe.ath.cx/siteimages/picture15.jpg

(linked because it's such a big picture)

It looks great! Why is that green guy playing a guitar though? :P

It's part of the story for the animation. Here's a link to the story so far:

http://mvandeweghe.ath.cx/story.htm

Thanks for the comments so far...keep 'em coming!

Hutch - I knew it was missing something! I'll add those right away.

I think this curvy and bold modeling style is very efficient, and you got a pretty nice feeling going on in that scene. The new lighting help a lot. I like the floor design that separate the kitchen and the living room area. The details are great and the images are colorful. Inspiring.

Boy, you're sure making good progress Mark! :D

I like your room and the odd shaped door works really well.

You may consider reducing the halos on the lights. The ones to the front in particular distract attention from the scene behind.

The light cast on the room it's self work well although I'd like to see a little more in the far corner.

Hope this helps.

BTW Have you changed your avatar or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Alrighty...gotta move this thread back to page 1!

I got sick of modeling and texturing, so I took a break and started animating. I'm still relatively new to animating, so I know there's plenty of room for improvement. This is the first pass of animation for this scene, I haven't touched the fingers yet.

http://mvandeweghe.ath.cx/fall1.mov

Let me know what you think! Be brutal if you would like, I can take it (I think :unsure: )

Hmmmm. Not bad... I have always had trouble animating this type of action, but I think maybe he shouldn't bounce quite so high. I don't know how that will look, but something is off in my mind's eye.

Also, I can't remember how to do it, but he should accelerate into the ground, decelerate to the top of the bounce and accelerate back to the ground. I believe you would adjust the ease to accomplish this. I would try that before changing the bounce height. If some good 'ease' could be set the high bounce might provide some good comedy!

Keep up the good work, I like these guys and the very red sets they inhabit!

;)

This is really reading quite nicely.

Something's bugging me about the hands (and arms), though. I keep felling like after he picks himself up off the ground that they should dangle to his sides for just a moment before being pulled up into the nervous-sneak mode.

Just a thought, anyway.

Mark,

I would like to say i am enjoying seeing the progress of your project and am here to help out in anyway I can.

I would like to see a more dynamic fall from the ladder may be falls on his head or a good face plant and then to the flat laying position.

Get rid of the drift in his feet to the final stop in laying down position make it snap to stop.

when he is sneaking back it is feeling very loop action based i would have him look behind himself to the left and then back to camera. I would like to see more arm movement coming from him in this section as well.

I really like the camera placement and movement.

Looking forward to the next wip

• Admin

Good to see a starving artist achieve such success!

Looking good. Lots of fun stuff you are bringing into it.

I don't have much to add to what others have suggested.

It seems you are definitely getting the feel for storytelling and I see subtle improvement each time you post. Most of all it looks like you are having fun. :)

Looking forward to your more updates.

After some work on it:

http://mvandeweghe.ath.cx/fall1.mov

Please let me know what you think of it. I know that there are some things that can still be improved, but I like this a lot better than my last WIP. I don't want to be a quitter, but I think it's about time to leave this shot alone and get working on some others.

One question for you guys: does the monster dropping into the shot work for you? I was thinking you just see a glimpse of him dropping down, then it cuts to something else. Should I add more of him hitting the ground, or is it okay how I have it?

• Admin

I agree that a second or possibly even two to accentuate his fall would be good.

The way I'd do it is just to have an empty scene first for that second or two.

Then he drops into it. It would leave the length of fall up to the viewer's mind.