Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Robin model for CD

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I like the version with the pupils better. I would add a slight glow to the eyes of the pupiless one. I would also leave no skin around the eyes and make it all mask, or at least "paint" the skin the same color of the mask near the eye. That might make it look better.

That hair is awesome!

KenH,

Yep you guessed it.. he's going as robin for halloween. I've got a funny picture of him in a robing outfit but wearing a Flash mask... I'll post it later... I agree with the comment on the putpils, I tried a few other options last night and think I'll go with a green iris and darkened skin behind the mask.

He's coming along nicely. I'm going to try to do a cloth cape for him as well, but that will be a learning lesson since I havnt done cloth yet.

Anyone know where I can find a nice Kevlar type texture to add some texture to his suit?

C

Hi, Colin.

Your work is just superb! I have been admiring it quietly for some years now.

'Cooper man' looks good and I would keep the pupils, or remodel the mask. At the moment the mask looks a little out of place with all the soft textures around it. I am sure that you will balance the costume components as it comes together.

I love your work. Please post your progress with Robin.

All the best.

Paul Forwood

I say include both...

one with pupils and one without-- or at least use a pose slider for it. That gives people a choice. You could change the properties of the clear part of the eye to become opaque and white+ more ambience, and I guess it could be an off/on pose at that...

I like the classic-- without pupils. They look sooo heroic without them-- beyond human. It kind of just looks like a human wearing a costume-- with pupils.

entity,

Yep that was my thought as well. I'm going to include both. Luckily the way the eye is modeled there are 2 layers. The inner eye and the outer cornea (not the best way to do it for sure, but for this particular problem it actually works out well).

So all I have to do to make the eyes white is take the transparency off the corneas and add some black to the diffuse on the underlying eyelids to make the mask work.

So I'll make a pose for that. I may also make a pose to transform him from kid to hero.

Still debating that one.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll have some more pics soon. Right now I'm just texturing the suit and tweeking some parts to make him more hero like.

Later,

C

• Admin
So I'll make a pose for that. I may also make a pose to transform him from kid to hero.

That would be neat.

I can imagine more than a few new people being inspired by that to create transforming poses for their characters too based on what they'd learn from yours.

Sounds like fun too!

here's an update.

Added Yves Poisant's skin shader... Still playing with the settings to get them right. Also added kevlar textures to the torso and changed the eyes to green and dark skin under the mask.

Large render 900x 1600 took 52 min. on a pentium 4 2.5 with 1 gig of ram.

Next need to add the utility belt, boots and Cape. Still playing with cloth settings trying to get the collision right. Any one know a good tutorial or have any hints on the best way to get the cloth to work?

Robin.jpg

later,

Colin

Yeah,

Dont worry Rodney... the Boots are coming.

Boots, Belt, Cape, and logo...

I'm thinking Hiking boots or like you say some techy tennis shoes.

I like the Teen Titan's Robin's Boots. Steel toes...

still thinking on it though... and I'm not sure I want to keep the shorts.. I may go with some tights after all.

C

Zaryin,

It's seperate from the face. Another lucky break.. the way I modeled the face allowed me to just select and copy the eye patches and duplicate those. Then I just moved them off the face a little and tweeked them to a more mask like shape.

I may have to extrude them a little to solve some render distance/size problems that occur when splines patches overlap, but all in all it was about a minute to make the mask so I'm happy with what I got.

C.

And heres another looksy... I lengthened the legs quiet a bit... They where modeled after a 2 year old and he's 4 now, plus he was starting to look like a midget.

I gave him a more kid like muscular build and legs... just need the belt, boots and cape and then the fun begins.

RobinTest.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys, its helping.

C

Zaryin,

So far I havnt used Porcelain.. But I might if I'm not happy with the end result.

KenH,

Nah his hairs still blonde, but I'm thinking about getting him an Elvis wig or something for his Costume. I'll post pics when I get them. The Robin model is sort of taking on a life of its own, plus Cooper would only be impressed if it was as heroic as possible.

C

Here he is so far...

Not really 100% happy with the boots, but they'll do for now. If you have any ideas I'd like to here them.

I've made him a good bit taller and shrunk the head down to match the body. I Liked the kid look but it didnt really match the body after all the tweeks.

Now to get a cloth cape on him.

Robin_I.jpg

Hey! Great model!

One small thought on the boots: The size seems a little large for the rest of the body type. I really like the pre-school feel you have going and the boots might be taking away from that.

Maybe if you made them a little bit "too" small it would lend itself more towards a childlike feel. Feet on little kids are usually pretty small in proportion to their bodies. Once they start hitting puberty they start blasting out the other way.

Anyway, just a thought. Really nice though!!!!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well I know It doesnt look like I've added a bunch more.. but truthfully I have tweeked him quiet a bit.. and I'm still trying to figure out the cape. Anyone seen the Incredibles yet? Try to model a cape and you'll see why the costume lady avoids them like the plague.

Added porcelain to the face. the ties on his chest. fixed the boots somewhat. Added eyelashes finally. And tweeked the textures a little more.

All thats left is that damn cape and rigging him.

Heres a straight render. Took 7 minutes on my 2.5 ghz p4 no multipass. I'm satisfied with that.

Robin1.jpg

If I can't get the cape right this weekend I'm leaving it off.

later,

C

Thanks guys,

Luckbat, thanks for the laugh.. Its funny... I must have missed that question in the other posts.. The irony of it hadnt occurred to me till I read your post. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Paule, Thanks for the kind words.. the site is old at this point and is missing some of my best stuff. Its on my todo list to update it.. but that list is getting quiet long now. As far as Cooper realising his stardom.. I doubt it... He's pretty oblivious in his kid world.. When we went to China and he had dozens of people thronging around him to see his blond hair... he just played his gameboy and looked for kids to play. This sounds normal untill you go to China with a blond boy and realise what a crowd drawing proposition that really is. He's a great kid and I hope he stays a kid forever...

hmmm maybe I need to take his model and make a Peter Pan version... Darn where is that todo list.

Thanks guys,

Colin

I like the model ssoooooo much. How much time did it take you to model him?

And what technique did you use for the head/face?

Sorry, I must have just been posting the last thread when this one came in.. I missed it completely, no wonder I didnt notice the irony of the question, I hadnt seen it at all.

Luckbat is correct... This is actually my son Cooper, whom I modeled for the tutorial and have since modified about a million times. I modeled the original model in about two weeks. But had alot of experimentation going on as well since I wanted to document the modeling in a tutorial.

The newer version of the tutorial is here by the way...

http://www.colins-loft.net/new_coop_tutorial/tutorials.html

It has some version 11 features that I added for the new 2005 cd.

Thanks for the kind words,

C

I know I'm kinda late to the party, but I gotta bring this one back. This is FANTASTIC. Seeing the progression of the model and how you keep stroking it until you get as close to perfection as one could get. Hey great job Collin!!!

Hey Hypnomike,

which shadow casting problem. I'm using mapped shadows so they are softer, but they render a heck of a lot faster. This render takes 8 minutes at 1024 x 900.

I could probably uprez the maps a little, but for now its not bad.

Did that answer your question?

C

Hi Colin!

I think I must have picked up on the shadow problem from someone elses thread. :huh:

It was something to do with capes not producing shadows because AM needs two surfaces to produce them. :unsure:

Please enlighten me if you can Colin, useful info for a later date. ;)

Thanks.

• Admin
It was something to do with capes not producing shadows because AM needs two surfaces to produce them.

I think that was a characteristic of how volumetric light works in A:M.

The volumetric light will penetrate one surface but is stopped by the second.

As for shadows... there is no such limit.

Shadows should appear on any surfaces that have "recieve shadows" turned on.

-Rodney

Egads that's a nice model! As with your child and Hulk model, all very well structured and detail to attention is quite good.

Have you tried using WeightMover to create more thickness/variation to the chainmail in his suit/costume? I just started playing with WeightMover and it seems it should help with that. If I recall, Robin has a fairly "dense" mesh in his costume. Unless you plan to do this with decals or what not etc... ;)

Then again, what do I know...

Tony