Hash, Inc. Forums

I'm behind on a lot of stuff but I'm going to try to get on top of email, PM's and a few other things tomorrow.

The heat here in Portland is insane and we have been working a lot because of it(mostly AC units leaking on Smoke Detectors)

Decal exporting

A new menu entry for single stamps / a opened stamp view is added. "Render Stamp to File"

I'm curious as to what problem this new feature solves.

5 point patches render with gaps

This is well timed as I had just generated a render that had this very problem in v19o.

station_test_v19o.jpg

v19p eliminates the really black patches. Thank you Steffen.

station_test_v19p.jpg

But still remaining are the subtle light grey patches on either side of the arches on the right that were there in v19o.

Both images were rendered using the attached project.

Penn_station_black_patches_embed.prj

The problem that is solved is the limited resolution of the image file used by the decal.

A way to paint a texture using a 2d software is to unwrap / flatten the model, make a decal and save that decal out using a screen shot or use take snap shot in A:M.
Both is great, but it has limitation that the resolution of the taken snap shot is limited by the resolution of the display you are working on.
This feature can now create "the same" result / something similar but with a more or less unlimited resolution.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

The new decal exporting solves the problem of making decals larger than your screen resolution.  If you made an extremely large decal and then had to screen capture it, it would not be very accurate.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, R Reynolds said:

But still remaining are the subtle light grey patches on either side of the arches on the right that were there in v19o.

Rodger, I notice that if i turn the "Shortcut to sun" OFF or set its Bias to 5cm the white patches become unnoticeable.

So it is something to do with that light.

NIce catch! Under BIAS the tech ref says "scenes using very large sizes may experience math precision errors during rendering". So your observation sounds right.

It also says "Visible: Sometimes" and in my case I can't see it. I assumed it would be under Cast Shadows but all I get are Type, Rays Cast, Distribute in Passes and Darkness. I'm not sure where else to look.

4 minutes ago, R Reynolds said:

It also says "Visible: Sometimes" and in my case I can't see it. I assumed it would be under Cast Shadows but all I get are Type, Rays Cast, Distribute in Passes and Darkness. I'm not sure where else to look.

In Tools>Options>Global make sure "Show advanced properties" is checked.

OK Robert while I have the tech ref open I can't find any reference to "Distribute in Passes". I assume it has something to do with how rays are cast from the area of the klieg?

i.e. For every render pass, the rays come from different locations within the klieg area.

if you RMB on "Distribute in passes" and choose "Display help for current Property" this blurb will appear

"Distribute in passes" will distribute rays among passes when rendering with multipass so there is no need to adjust the number of rays cast when rendering with different number of passes. Also, when rays are distributed, the renderer will always try to produce soft shadows even when "Rays cast" is set to "1".

So, if you have 15 rays and 3 passes, each pass will do 5 rays.
If you have 15 rays and 5 passes, each pass will do 3 rays.

I don't know what happens when the math isn't exact.

Soft shadows that are proportional to the width of the light happen with Distribute either ON or OFF but ON seems to do it with a noisier process. (I may be wrong about this)

BTW, I'll also note that I can get rid of the white patches in your model if I reduce "Shortcut to sun" Fall-Off to 100,000cm. That is still a kilometer which ought to be enough.

"Distribute to passes" :
Passes render an image a couple of times and combine them after that to one for different reasons like better anti-aliasing, etc.

If there is a process (like for instance reflection levels or ambient occlussion or radiosity) that has in itself several iterations A:M will normally re-render each of those iterations for each pass, resulting in a much longer rendertime. Passes are combined at the end anyway and then that will not result in a better image quality but much longer rendertimes.

By distributing those iterations to the passes, which will be blend at the end anyway, the rendertimes go down (a lot) and the image quality (at the resulting end image) will be the same. If you look at one of the passes seperated however, the pass will look pretty noisy. (because it really is only "one" iterations (or the amount so it can be distributed evenly to the passes).

Best regards
*Fuchur*