Hash, Inc. Forums

Windows 8

robcat2075

I think I'll stick with windows 7. 8 looks too much like a phone for me.

If you are in Metro, you are right, on the desktop itself it is okay... I liked the startmenu better so...

For now I will stay with win7 too...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

It looks like you can dispense with that opening tile screen and revert to a more traditional desktop.

I guess Aero is gone. A:M: won't have to disable it anymore!

It's supposed to be able to wake up from "sleep" mode in 2 seconds. That sounds unlikely without an SSD.

• *A:M User*
It looks like you can dispense with that opening tile screen and revert to a more traditional desktop.

I guess Aero is gone. A:M: won't have to disable it anymore!

It's supposed to be able to wake up from "sleep" mode in 2 seconds. That sounds unlikely without an SSD.

I would tend to agree (about the SSD part) but who knows, maybe they've got some new secret sauce or something.

I for one plan on skipping this version. I imagine the corporate world will be on win 7 for about the next ten years, I have no desire to fool with windows 8 for my production box. Although I probably should get a cheap copy, anyway, since I'll have to support home users that have it. May as well get it for $40 instead of $100.

Remember your history folks... every OTHER version of Windows has been a POS.

Consumer versions:

Windows 3.1 Good

Windows 95 Bad

Windows 98 Good

Windows ME Bad

Business oriented versions

Windows NT 3.0 Bad

Windows NT 4.0 Good

Windows 2000 Bad

This led to a mergeing of Business and Consumer

Windows XP Good

Windows Vista Bad

Windows 7 Good

Windows 8 ... ???

There were server specific versions that also seemed to follow this trend, but you get the picture. :D

I will say there are pieces that look good, but without the addition of a touch screen on my desktop, I will have to try it in a VM first. Even then I will probably not commit until after the first six months beyond release.

• *A:M User*
Remember your history folks... every OTHER version of Windows has been a POS.

Consumer versions:

Windows 3.1 Good

Windows 95 Bad

Windows 98 Good

Windows ME Bad

Business oriented versions

Windows NT 3.0 Bad

Windows NT 4.0 Good

Windows 2000 Bad

Here is my experience:

win 3.11 good (didn't have win 3.1)

win 95 pretty good

win 98 good

Win ME not fit for a dog's breakfast

NT 3.0 - didn't touch it

NT 4.0 - good

Win 2k - good, although not from a security standpoint. Neither was XP, for that matter.

Vista - Not as bad as people make it out to be

Win 7 - good

Win 8 - haven't tried it yet, not looking forward to supporting this with the "where is my 'any' key?" crowd. I can just see it now: "where did my start button go?!"

Windows 8 on a non touchscreen makes sense if you want to take advantage of cloud syncing. Think of the start screen as a place where you can quickly view any updates at the start of the day....then click the desktop icon to get work done.

I think W8 will go down well with the consumer market. Enterprise were always going to stick with W7 for a while anyway as they don't update every version. So in that time, MS is going after the consumer market. By the time they come back, W8 will (hopefully for MS) be accepted and understood. Then in the next version, the desktop will be more integrated.

• 6 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

Does any one know if Windows 8 still has a limit of how many cores it can use and if that varies among versions.

Windows 7 had specific limits and I see hints of Window 8 supporting many more than 7 did but i haven' found specific inof on what a basic Windows 8 OS woudl support.

• Hash Fellow
Does any one know if Windows 8 still has a limit of how many cores it can use and if that varies among versions.

Windows 7 had specific limits and I see hints of Window 8 supporting many more than 7 did but i haven' found specific inof on what a basic Windows 8 OS woudl support.

I think this is a possibly correct answer from About.com

Windows 8 Hardware Limitations

32-bit versions of Windows 8 support up to 4 GB of RAM. The 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro supports up to 512 GB while the 64-bit version of Windows 8 (standard) supports up to 128 GB.

Windows 8 Pro supports a maximum of 2 physical CPUs and the standard version of Windows 8 just one. In total, up to 32 logical processors are supported in 32-bit versions of Windows 8, while up to 256 logical processors are supported in 64-bit versions.

I guess the number of logical processors is the same as Windows 7?

I've been using windows 8 for a while, I build windows servers for a living, so pretty much since it was in the beta stage. The interface is different, and most people don't like it, but I have no problems with it. It's much better on a tablet, than PC. I have noticed some performance gains, but not significant. It definitely boots faster.

If you have windows 7, there is really no reason to upgrade unless you just like the live tile start screen, and the app store experience.