sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Yet Another Marketing Scheme (Free Software)

Rodney

• Admin

More free plugins for A:M?

Desperate times call for desperate measures?

A grab for attention and a desire for more users?

A survey of the size of potential sales?

This is yet another is an ongoing series of offers that has swept through the CG community.

Personally, I think it can devalue software across the board which is a dangerous thing for software developers.

Of course, it could also mean that the software itself was overpriced to begin with and that tends to devalue the software in the opposite direction.

At any rate, here are three programs that are well known and used by a lot of folks so my thought here is that some might already use these products while others might be able to use them in some form or fashion with A:M. While I haven't used any of these programs personally, presumably there should be a way to use models created with them in A:M and even if not the imagery created with them is highly compatible.

Access the free download here: Free software offer

Note that the offer expires in a few days (Feb 29) and presumably will then cost you $800 for the set of three.

I believe you are required to set up an account, share your email address, etc. will result in spam, your name being added to their listings for marketing purposes. It's not clear to me if they claim they will not share/sell that listing with other marketers.

So, for what it's worth, for a limited time these three programs are freely available.

Note: When you proceed through the checkout note that there are other programs/utilities available for free. Presumably they will be useful as well.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

When you put it that way I feel not unlike a vulture circling its prey.

Or perhaps just an ugly raven enticed by tiny little shiny things.

I notice there is an FBX utility thingy in the mix... ooo... ooo... sparkly.

I've downloaded most of the current offerings but don't know when I'll be able to install and explore their ability to interface with A:M.

At a guess I'd say the serial numbers (purchased for now at $0) will still work after the deadline but the software itself will no longer be freely available.

• Hash Fellow

One could probably make some nice background plates for use in A:M with Bryce.

(I didn't know there still was a Bryce!)

I can't figure out what they get from this unless sales have fallen to zero and, as you suggest, just getting the names of downloaders is valuable?

I downloaded these last week (probably never use them, but free is free.) I recall Bryce doing something similar to this prior the the release of a new version.

Speculation on my part, but perhaps this is based on a model where they make their primary profit from sales of the content rather than the content creators. From that standpoint, it's in their best interest to have more people creating content.

• Hash Fellow
Speculation on my part, but perhaps this is based on a model where they make their primary profit from sales of the content rather than the content creators. From that standpoint, it's in their best interest to have more people creating content.

I get it... they sell a program to make stuff and then when it turns out it's too hard to make stuff, they sell you stuff to load in to it.

One could probably make some nice background plates for use in A:M with Bryce.

(I didn't know there still was a Bryce!)

I can't figure out what they get from this unless sales have fallen to zero and, as you suggest, just getting the names of downloaders is valuable?

In general they are making money with content, not the software, I think. They are offering DAZ St**io for quite some time now for free.

I get many mails about new content from them.... (never really used it so...)

See you

*Fuchur*

Yes Daz is primarily a content seller although they have a suite of software they also maintain. The ones given free are actually somewhat useful if not on their own but as additional tools. For example Bryce has a decent terrain editor that you can extract for use in other 3d programs. One also could render out some decent clouds images for backgrounds here in AM . Hexagon is a robust poly modeler. It works pretty well on windows machine and less on Macs.....but it not a toy and once you figure out how to do things Hexagon ways ---it can hold it own for smaller models vs any modeler .

For Free------- Its worth it for sure.