Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

speaking of dragons

mtpeak2

Here's a great dragon model from the extra cd. The model was created by Eduardo A. Gutierrez (eos). I've always wanted to make a scene with a dragon, but was never good enough to model one.

So, with the dragon model already available, I can start working on a scene. I made a few modifications to the model and now I'm ready to think about what kind of scene I want to do, I have a few ideas I want to do.

Here's a pic of the dragon, I'm sure some of you remember this model.

dragon_scene0.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking cool already, Mark!

Jim Talbot's barbarian model is great.

I wonder about maybe having a more dramatic camera angle? Maybe from low and behind the barbarian, so that the dragon really looks huge?

Thanks.

I thought about fire, but after the orca scene I didn't want to deal with particles again. ;) Also, I wanted the hero to be standing tall, rather than hiding behind his shield, maybe a bit of smoke coming from the dragon's mouth, as though he's about to or already did his fire thing. It doesn't matter now anyway, I already called it done, I moved onto the next thing. Lack of interest from the forum unmotivates me.

• Admin
Lack of interest from the forum unmotivates me.

Keeping motivated is tough isn't it?

I wouldn't blame the forum for your own lack of interest though Mark.

Reading this topic shows there is plenty of interest.

Perhaps you should read through the responses again.

If you want to move on to projects that interest you more we'll move right along with you.

The scene you've got going fits in well with your earlier Kong image.

Its got that same 'stop motion still image' feel to it.

• Admin
Well Rodney, the first five posts tell me how they would want me to proceed, the next three are more of what I would expect and the last three are just posts that reply to my response, just as yours is.

Pretty good return on investment I'd say.

the first five posts tell me how they would want me to proceed

You didn't seem to know where you were heading yourself so their suggestions seem genuine.

the next three are more of what I would expect

While it may be implied, you didn't solicited feedback anywhere in this topic.

Asking questions may get you closer to the responses you want.

last three are just posts that reply to my response

No doubt these are trying to understand more about your project and the type of feedback you want.

Those of us that would take the time to respond feed off of your feedback to tailor our response.

You have to motivate yourself first Mark.

Who can retain more interest than the person who initiated the project?

The subject matter is one of interest; barbarian swordsman vs dragon.

In line with your thoughts about not having the scene captured during the primary action my suggestion would be to push the poses to capture the anticipatory poses leading up to the next (unseen) action. To understand that you have to get into who these characters are. What are they fighting for? What have they lost? Find the emotions behind the poses and your scene will come alive.

For now these figures appear more as stationary props.

I hope that's not true, Mark!

There aren't that many of us left that really contribute!

Part of what makes this forum work is a sense of community. It's a very personal thing to put up a work of creativity and it can be really discouraging to spend hours working on something, get excited about finishing it and posting it to the forum ...and then it just sits there with no comments.

It really doesn't take much time to drop a word or two. I know I'm guilty of not doing it as much as I should, but I do try.

I got all excited awhile ago when I saw that the number of posts on the Wannabe Pirates thread was reaching 500 ...until I realized most of them were probably posted by me. :-) Which is not to say that I haven't really appreciated everyone's feedback, quite the contrary! It's hard to be fully self-motivated and isn't encouragement a part of why we seek out a community like this?

I love when I get feedback, but I never count on it...constructive feedback is very rare. A lot of people may just not know what to critique and want to avoid a "me too" post.

You do absolutely incredible work, Mark. It would be a tremendous loss to the community if you stopped posting.

Mark, it sounds like you're just in a lull. This is a nice image but you didn't seem to be really taken with it, just using it for practice, and that's fine! But I hope the response to this one picture isn't what's making your decision for you.