Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cupid's Sick Day

Shelton

• *A:M User*

Thanks David and Steve. Thanks Paul that is nice!

Here is a small mov file that I did with no animation other than the spin of the character. I wanted to see how long the render times would be with sss and hair particles. For DV size it was 3:30 - 4:30 a frame. I can live with that.

Steve

cindyside.mov

Nancy

Here is a shot of the jeans we have talked about. I used the group of patch and applied the image. In your email you stated to flip the image on some of the patches. I dont know how to do this.

Steve

Edit

I found a decal I could use. Now if I could figure out how to do the pockets using the same image

jeans0.jpg

jeanstwo0.jpg

Myron's got it almost right, but not quite - he was probably thinking about the DECAL image which you can flip horizontally, vertically by rt clicking (EDIT: well - there's an option for it, but doesn't seem to work in my 15e)

For the PATCH images: select patch(es) that you want to change (pink patch selection tool works well), right click on the patch(es), and choose "rotate images" until it looks right on that patch. Is a pain - but it works

Edited by NancyGormezano

I found a decal I could use. Now if I could figure out how to do the pockets using the same image

Not sure what the problem is? -

1) select the group - add image? for patch images

2) or select the group, hide the rest, rotate view for best application, apply decal (planar probably) ?

Nancy

Here is a shot of the pants with the decals applied after using a pose and flatten the image. I have then gone to photoshop and built the decal. Here is a shot showing the stretch on the sides.

Steve

jeansbutt0.jpg

Picky picky picky... It looks like stretch denim to me (really - I'm not joking)

I'm not that fussy about the stretching...Textures will stretch no matter what, when your character moves. Can't be helped. The audience shouldn't be focused on the pants, and you can always move the camera so that it's not so obvious. In your 3 egs - I would probably be happy with the decal efforts, and I would fix the patch image effort so that the images were aligned correctly - weave going in correct direction, more seamless looking

HOWEVER for picky people, the goal would be to introduce noise so that no regular pattern is immediately obvious.

What I sometimes do for pants (depending on the pattern) is to use a combination of patch images, with decals applied with cylindrical & planar mappings

That is, using an image swatch for denim of your choice

1) first decal the entire trousers/pants using a cylindrical map - play with the repeat count - probably just increase x from 3 to whatever it needs to be to get the correct scale - seamless ON

2) next - decal the same trousers again using a planar map - set repeat count again to whatever works. Seamless ON. Sometimes it works better to apply the decal from the side, sometimes from the front. Whichever way looks better. Whichever way you do it - probably do some flattening first

3) play with the percentage mix for the 2 decals - ie try 50% for the planar decal, with 100% (or less) for cylindrical

4) If pants STILL needs noise: then take the entire pant group, right click and - add image with same denim - (you may need to set the decals to 0% while you adjust/rotate images so that you can see the patch images) Adjust repeat count if necessary. Again play with percentages of the patch images, decal images

You can use the same denim image for all 3, or combine different images. You can play with adding bump as well (use same image). Here is a denim that doesn't have a distinctive weave

Hope this helps some.

EDIT - Just saw your new image - Looks good to me! I would be very happy .

demin2.jpg

Thank you Nancy for the detailed doc. I have just started on this project learning how to decal properly. Before I was just simply overlay and apply. I got out Will Sutton texture cd I will watch this again.

I will re read this several times as there is a great deal of info.

Thanks for all your help!

Steve

Edit: Added noise to the shirt and will be gin on that

I got out Painter again and added some variations of the pants. I will u/l after render. Can you paint with 3d paint over a decal or a group texture????

Also creating the decals for the pockets and overlay areas

jeansbutt0.jpg

I got out Painter again and added some variations of the pants. I will u/l after render. Can you paint with 3d paint over a decal or a group texture????

Also creating the decals for the pockets and overlay areas

Of course - A:M Painter can modify any decal image that you've already applied FIRST in A:M -

In 3d/A:M painter - its a good idea to rt click on the image and choose "make only this image editable". That way you won't be modifying any images that have been layered on the same patches.

When you are satisfied with the modification - I always choose to EXPORT the image file to a new name (rather than SAVE) - because I don't like to destroy the original file.

Then I go back into A:M and under the appropriate image in the decal container, I substitute this modified image, that I have imported into A:M.

I do not use painter as a plug-in - I find there are less funnies if I use it as a stand alone app - ie, I have both A:M and painter open at the same time. And move back & forth between them (as well as having photoshop, Corel Painter open at the same time)

I do not believe that group (patch) images show up in A:M Painter (almost sure) - So, then you will not be able to tell how the mods interact - you will have to view the total effect when you return to A:M.

And I agree - if I had known you were going for realistic - I too would have suggested "take a photo". Geesh.

Mark, thank you that is what I was looking for Now how did you wrap around the sides, when I tried it stretched the decal horribly on the sides. the front and back looked pretty good.

nancy once again you have taught me something that I did not know about AM

Steve thanks for the decals. What I was thinking is to bring in a photo and then modify it am paint to give the appearance I want.

Steve

Ok that is where I get lost. I have the front half of the pants selected and all other items hidden. I open an action and go to muscle mode. But this is where i can not find how to apply the decal.

Steve

Still was not happy with the main character. He was the first model I created and I have learned a great deal since the project started. I have now created a new Stone.

Here is the start of the main character.

Steve

first0.jpg

Added a spline ring around the eye and then wrap across the bridge of the nose. This gave the 5 point patches at the inside of the nose more flexibility. The 5 points were running up the nose and made a sharp break toward the eyes. Now I have the 5 points turn to run with the eye area and wrap onto the nose. Gives smoother transistion to the bridge. Also it let me open the top of the nose wider which is what I was wanting. With the added spline I have more of an eyelid as well and lets me round out the eye area. Also changed the lip area as well to smooth out the corner.

It is a bit spline heavy and will have to reduce the mesh some. But I am getting closer to adding the hair

Steve

first0.jpg

firstside0.jpg