Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Crafton Hills Art Project

My friend and I are going to be taping off sections of our schools steps to look like concentric rings when viewed from a certain point. We're just about done with everything we need to complete it.

So, I thought I'd share it with you all, and see what you think.

post-8217-1178912974_thumb.jpg

post-8217-1178912988_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you really need the markings on the horizontal surfaces?

if the image only resolves at a distance, you can save yourself a good deal of work by only marking the forward-facing area of the steps.

it is a cool idea. ' ' )

-jon

Yeah, i'll talk to my friend about that. It would probably save a lot of time and tape if we only did the faces of the steps.

Here's a render from the first level landing. It really skews the shapes at that point.

btw, the first renders were done in black, because he just reminded me we're doing this in blue painters tape. :P

post-8217-1178932606_thumb.jpg

Ok, if i were to take out the tape on the tops of the steps, there would be a few areas with a considerable gap in between. What do you guys think? Are the gaps to wide? We want it to appear solid, but I dont know what amount of gap tolerance people will accept.

The red areas show the gaps between each of the faces. The largest space is the first floor landing.

post-8217-1178954733_thumb.jpg

Well, it didnt have to be a set of "5 concentric rings", bulls eye sounds a little odd... why would there be a giant bulls eye centered on my school?!, but that's what my friend wanted, and it's his project so yeah.

But, he could have done anything from a checkard pattern, to maybe even a crazy spiral design, but he wanted concentric rings >_>

post-8217-1178958845_thumb.jpg

I see matt beat me to the post; but yes, it took us 7 hours, but we did it. We went through about 4 rolls of blue painters tape, and working on my knees for that long really leaves a nice feeling all along my legs and back n_n

Thank you animation master team for making all of this possible, if not for your program I would have had no idea how to set up the measurements for all those 500 ring coordinates.

In an artsy fasion, here's a time laps of us building it all. i hope you guys like it :D

post-8217-1179107339_thumb.jpg

You bet we had to compensate for perspective!

In the image below, Dan and I are on the middle teir of the stairs, and our friend Dub (the one who picked the project) is on the first tier. If I were to bring Dan's image down to the step Dub is standing on, Dan appears to be much smaller than he actuall is (Dan looks 4'4'' compared to Dub who is 6', which is also the same hieght as dan).

post-7957-1179109573_thumb.jpg

So this is a great optical illusion, especially since the lighting is consistant over the entire image.

Well the art show was today, and our piece was a huge success. Everybody loved it, and even after the show people kept comming back to it and moving around it to see how it would change and stuff. It's going to be in the school newspaper and the city newspaper, so that's really cool.

The sunburns were well worth it :)

post-8217-1179286588_thumb.jpg

So...

who got to put on the last piece of tape? Someone always has to put that last piece in. Was there a big ceremony? Did you wear hats?

;)

cool... very cool.

I... uh... darn it. I can't say why right now but this is very relevant to me at the moment. That's all I'll say. ;)

-vern

So you're into art shows vern? But na, there was no special cerimony. It was early evening, we were all tired, and wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. :D though there was a very strange feeling after we were done. Accomplishment is always an awesome feeling, and we ended up staying for a good hour after we finished and took lots of pictures.

PICTURES!! :lol:

post-8217-1179295257_thumb.jpg

post-8217-1179295267_thumb.jpg

post-8217-1179295277_thumb.jpg

post-8217-1179295291_thumb.jpg

That is cool! Nice execution.

How did you get the model into scale? Did you do it from photos or did you have to measure it with a measuring tape or did you have access to plans?

• Admin

Matt,

I've been following this with great interest.

I think people will really be talking about your project for a long time... and experiencing it too!

I can only imagine that people will want to do more of the same and even add to it.

If I was on scene I'd want to have everyone pick a spot and jump up into the air.

Of course then I'd be sued for all the broken legs. :blink:

Thinking about the possible photos that could be taken and the various illusions of standing, sitting, jumping...

My mind leaps to Escher.

One of the things we all struggle with as artists is moving our 3D work into the real world.

This is a very successful example of doing just that.

Outstanding!

In this example, we brought the real world into 3D, and that allowed us to generate the numerous data points we would need inorder to accuratly reporduce the image in the real world. The first day we put it up I would walk by people just staring at the image asking just how we got it so perfectly.

Oh wow!

If you had done it with red tape and reduced the number of circles you might have gotten some advertising money from the Target stores. ;)

I think the original artist/designer made the correct choice. Those other design options looked great but would have taken much longer to accomplish. I really liked the 3 swirl design... but that would have been a nightmare to plot out.

-vern