Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Goat

Hutch

I am trying to make this goat sort of cartoony, more of a charicature. There is something off about it but I can't put my finger on it. He looks more like an impala or something. What is about him that looks un-goatlike? How can I make him more goatish?

post-1326-1127767988_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone. I think Ken is right about the legs being too long, especially the top part. He does look like a doberman too lol. If I can get him looking right I am thinking of making a short animation of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. This goat would probably be the mid size goat with a smaller and larger one based on him.

Well since you said you're going for a caricature, I found this reference of a stylized (boring) version of a goat - (there are lots of other images of real goats, and more interesting stylized versions, as well as different breeds, when googled)

http://www.my-animal-figurine.com/images/p...um/70001218.jpg

If I were to take the above image as a reference, and compare to yours - I think what hits me is that your legs need to be stouter (fatter & shorter) as well as the snout needs to have less of an indent in the profile going from forehead to nose, and the beard would definitely add a nice touch.

But if it's supposed to be a caricature, and supposed to be cartoony - then exageration is in order! and that would mean anything goes, and you have to decide what elements of the personality, or body you want to stylize: lumpy fat body, long eyelashes, curly fur, devilish look, imaginative color/paint job, etc... -

It already looks like a goat to me, and I would read it as that in the story you're thinking about. (NICE model)

I just see two main things. First, a mature goat's snout is longer and (more important) is very level and lined up with its forhead. In other words the top from the nose to the horns is straight, and the horns even continue that line. The other thing I notice is that the body needs more of a slender look (though a mountain goat is usually much stockier than a domestic goat) and is perhaps a bit more cylindrical (not so tapered). Also, in a profile the top of the trunk and the legs should pretty much fit into a square if the legs are proportioned right.

On the whole, it looks great!

Bill Gaylord

Goat_head.jpg

I just came in from shaving my goats.... they don't look much like yours...and it's gonna be a chilly winter for them.... please send sweaters to....: :lol:

Actually, I did usta have some goats... I agree that the torso/hindquarters look a bit dog like.... I think the belly needs to be a bit slimmer... ribs more visible as well... you could move the horns forward to match Bill's observation about the straight line of the head/snout...

also... just as an aside, there are goats (La Manchas, IIRC) that have no ears... just ear holes... and they look a bit like dobes.... seeing Bill's pic above as I type this reminds me that the eyes are more slitted than round... And yet they have big eyes... when they are looking at you.... hard to describe.

Cartooning is basically changing the proportions of a subject to illustrate a certain look that expresses a character, emotion, attitude etc..

If you want your goat to be appealing to children, for example, a small body with a large head, small snout, big eyes and tiny horns would be one way. Ya know? Cutesy look :rolleyes:

Your goat's head is cartoony enough, but the body, especially the belly doesn't seem to fit. Fatten up the belly a bit and see what happens.