Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Game Controller

• Hash Fellow

Sorry, no v11 hair or jiggly boobs here... just some plastic.

I made this object several months ago for a Modeling Showdown but had to experiment with lighting quite a bit after that to make a nice render of it. Lots of specular-only lights.

It's not an original design, it's modeled after one I have.

controller75x.jpg

controller13x.jpg

controllerwire.jpg

Any ideas on a better way to do it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Thank you, all, for the comments! :)

Yeah, I gave up trying to stitch in the ribs on the top with splines. Too many smoothing problems for the surrounding patches. Same with the holes for the red buttons. Those ended up being booleans.

Next stop, jiggly boobs and hair?

I am impressed, up to this point, I still have problems with mechanical modeling, maybe don't have the time to really find out the technique.

Preserving the curvature at one end and straight on the other require precision bias handling.

Is there a compilation of mechanical modeling some where?

• Hash Fellow
I still have problems with mechanical modeling, maybe don't have the time to really find out the technique.

Preserving the curvature at one end and straight on the other require precision bias handling.

I think you've identified the key hassle, but I suppose all good modeling requires precision shaping. The only insight I might offer is to not do any bias tweaking until you've finalized your mesh. Live with the lumps until you're confident you have all the splines you'll need. Otherwise you end up redoing some biases several times. Also have good reference material (rotoscopes, diagrams, measurements...) to base your work on.

Is there a compilation of mechanical modeling some where?
like a gallery? I think one of the image contests was "mechanical" a while back. There are some tutorials on ARM under "inorganic". Some seem to be AWOL.

I don't think I've seen better plastic in an A:M render. Fantastic.
Thanks! I was wondering if I had overstepped the bounds of good taste with all the speculars; most don't seem to be motivated by the one light in the scene.

• Hash Fellow

Hey filipmun,

That's a pretty good mashing machine model or whatever they call it. :) The fact that you rounded all the edges does alot for it.

I think the one thing that's probably bothering you is the crease at the edges near the ends of the the box shapes. Technically, the four point patches you have on the tops of the boxes are legal but a four sided patch made out of only two splines is always going to be a problem

Take a look at this post

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...indpost&p=53091

for another way of doing boxes with rounded edges.

Once you resplined the boxes, I don't think you'd need to add much more geometry. I think you could add the tiny details (like rivets and metal plate seams) with bump maps.

I forgot to ask, I have seen the 'Thom' has constrains to it but not in the action window, how to embed constrains to the model itself? Is it under relationship?

I see the three point rounding at the corners of a box that produce a natural rounding, I always thought that 3cp is no good in rendering axcept for flat surface. ;)

Here is the machine:

post-8-1099382894.jpg

how to embed constrains to the model itself? Is it under relationship?

1) Right click in the model window

2) Select: New/Pose/On/Off ( a new, empty pose is created for you.)

3)Double click on the Pose Name on the left of the timeline and rename your pose to something meaningful. 'My Base Constraints', would do, or 'My Rig), or something like that.

4) Right click on a bone, chose New Constraint, Select your constraint, assign it and set it's properties. Continue assigning constraints in this pose window until all of your base constraints are setup.

You have now setup your model with a set of constraints which are stored in a pose. Poses are embedded within the model file.

Remember, when animating in an Action or Choreograpy to turn your constraints ON to have any effect.