Hash, Inc. Forums

WIP - Pennsylvania Station (sort of)

The ALT snap bias aim feature is such a pleasure to use, I've regained my enthusiasm for an architectural  model I set aside in 2009. It's my version of a Hollywood set of the grand old Pennsylvania Station built in New York in 1910 and demolished in 1963. I'm calling it a Hollywood version for three reasons.

1. Since my reference images from books and the Net only have a few readable dimensions I have to make a lot of "looks good to me" guesses.

2. The amount of detailing required for a 100% accurate copy is too staggering so I've simplified it while trying maintain a similar look.

3. The section of the building where people board a train is called the Concourse. While it was a spectacular work of architecture, it was essentially a large room where passengers would congregate before descending down stairs to tunnels in the lowest level to board coaches pulled by electric locomotives. To me that's a subway station not a rail station. So my Concourse will be a complete fiction but it will have steam locomotives.

Here's four views of the real thing.

Penn_Station_collage.jpg

Keep in mind that this is a WIP and I have a long way to go (including getting the lighting right but I'm still pleased with the result.

Here's two views of my arcade taken from the street entrance end and showing the concourse archway in the distance.

Penn_station_000.jpg

Penn_station_001.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2