Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flyer contest

I know everyone is busy working on the V16.0 mascot but I thought I would give away some more sigraph Hash, Inc. jackets.

Hash, Inc. is looking for a new flyer to go along with V16.0 for 2011. Below is the one we are using now. How I think this will work is you can submit your items. Hash, Inc will use either all or part of your design. If Hash, Inc. uses all or part of your design Hash, Inc. will send you a sigraph Hash, Inc. jacket that we have. Sizes are limited.

Things I would like to see on the flyer.

• facebook link http://www.facebook.com/animationmaster
  • Amfilms link
  • Hash, Inc. link
  • Windows logo
  • Mac logo (with out universal binary)
  • 64bit logo
  • The Hash, Inc. monitors brush logo
  • The new Hash, Inc. logo
  • Good text for schools and personal users/Small studios

The deadline for this will be I'm going to leave this open for a bit longer I really like what we got but keeping it open so some people can finish theirs. I will take response on this but will be the final vote.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Jason Simonds

p.s. I do not need input on my poor spelling and grammar thank you haha

Attached is the ones we are using now, the templates and the facebook logo.

http://www.hash.com/ftp/pub/misc/07NewAMLogo.psd (A:M Logo)

small_brochure_front.jpg small_brochure_back.jpg

join_us_on_facebook.jpg

flyer.zip

Monitor_Logo.psd (you can change the colors)

Edited by Jason Simonds
I even said not to bring up my spelling but! haha

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
Is it still "mac universal"? I thought v16 went Intel mac only.

You are correct.

This is why Jason lists a requirement for the flyer as:

Mac logo (no universal binary)

I had to think about that myself for a few minutes...

I now read that requirement as:

Mac logo (without universal binary logo)

I'm happy to see you turn to the forum for some help with design work, Jason- excellent move. I hope we don't disappoint you.

Yeah i think anything will be better then what i come up with. I worked on it a bit but for the most part only took the old flyer edited some text and added some links.

I'm looking forward to this!

Thanks Again guys!

I got error message from photoshop (ver 6.01, PC):

"Could not open Monitor_Logo.psd because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered".

However, I was able to open the 07NewAMLogo.psd, as well as page_8x11.psd (in zip file) without any problem.

EDIT: More than likely I won't submit something, but was just letting you know in case other's experience problem. Could it be my photoshop is too old?

Edited by NancyGormezano

Seems like the psd file was pooped. I recreated the logo for you guys, included in the zip is an eps, pdf as well as high res tga and png in case anyone is doing renders or composites with it.

The eps and pdf are vector based and fully scalable. Use either if making digital banners.

If your printing any t's or apparel for the show I can remove the halftones and convert the eps to spot.

FYI Vistaprint is ok but you may want to check with a local quickprint, often some of the small guys are pretty competitive and they use standard size paper.

Why not do a 3 panel brochure?

I got error message from photoshop (ver 6.01, PC):

"Could not open Monitor_Logo.psd because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered".

However, I was able to open the 07NewAMLogo.psd, as well as page_8x11.psd (in zip file) without any problem.

EDIT: More than likely I won't submit something, but was just letting you know in case other's experience problem. Could it be my photoshop is too old?

No i will look at that when i get back today. Think i may have the wrong MIME type for .psd on the forums or it can not read it.

I cleaned up this logo, the psd was all ratty looking. Here is an Illustrator EPS with Pantone color matches (1795 red, 2746 blue, Cool Gray 7 and 148 tan).

For print work, vector eps files will give you the best results and have no choppy edges since they are resolution independent.

There is also a pdf of the same file for those who can't view eps files.

Should probably remove that other zip since it was based on the logo I saw on the website.

Hash_Inc_vector_logo.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Jason, I'm taking a stab at writing a flyer.

What will the situation with NetRender be when v16 is released?

How many cores will the standard license permit at once?

Will you be able to deploy the render slaves on computers other than the one A:M is licensed on?

What's the plan?

Jason, I'm taking a stab at writing a flyer.

What will the situation with NetRender be when v16 is released?

How many cores will the standard license permit at once?

Will you be able to deploy the render slaves on computers other than the one A:M is licensed on?

What's the plan?

That is still in talks not sure the small flyer is the place to cover that. But yes this will be for v16.0 But we do not know the core limits or instances at this time.

• Hash Fellow

This isn't quite on topic for the flyer, but... would it be possible to make the download license work so that Mac users can use the same license to run A:M for Windows on the same Mac when it's running Windows? I dont' know if that's even technologically feasible.

I just started reading an working on all that RLM can do. So there maybe a way to do that. But as of now it would have to be a different store item, since it would not be the same code set. But i think the activation server can return the OS then allow 2 activations but not on the same OS

• Hash Fellow

Here's my entry.

Two main strategies here:

-Show user work and user comments

-This isn't something they'll be reading while they walk around a show, it's something they pull out of their pocket after they get home and are interested in details.

The images I've used are not necessarily the ones that would have to be used, i grabbed them because they fit.

It's a bit experimental. This is more of a mock-up of a concept than an actual finished, ready to print thing.

But if you want to pursue this, I could do more on it.

FlyerFront_RCH_06c.jpgFlyerBack_RCH05.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good, Rob!

A suggestion; text doesn't read overly well on a collage of images. Throwing in a ~65% black background area, like this:

background.jpg

...will greatly enhance its readability. (Just a quick text mask there with some bleed from the raygun dude, you'd do it on a separate layer under the text of course.) Obviously like you said, just a mockup.

Also, I can throw you a copy of this image with alpha/background removed if you're still in need of any more "cool graphics." ;)

grammar nazi edit:

"The Art of Animation:Master," a collection of tutorials to get you started in every area of A:M.

"A:M Technical Reference,"

"A:M Data CD,"

And...spaceThe A:M Forum.

Beginning to think, "It can't be done?"

helpful user-forum kinda awkward, just forum perhaps?

Just as important and helpful as the manual itself,

-spaceEnhanced Selection Filters (bold)

-spaceV16 for PC (bold)

-A zillion stability enhancements (I would not actually put this on a flyer.)

See A:M users' images and movies - everyone from beginners to advanced users:(return)

hash.com/stills

amfilms.hash.com

Follow us on Facebook:(return)

facebook.com/animationmaster

Also, period space vs period space space - you do both in the flyer. The correct way is actually period space, NOT period space space. If you're younger than me (which... is probably not many people on this forum), chances are the teacher that drilled "period space space" into your head knew better, too. Double space is a holdover from typewriter/monospace days, when there needed to be a way to better distinguish the full stop. Pick up any current magazine and see for yourself - only one space after the period.

First page looks otherwise free of errors!

• Hash Fellow
-A zillion stability enhancements (I would not actually put this on a flyer.)

Originally I wrote "gazillion" but decided to tone it down.

Thanks for the corrections. I haven't pursued this any further since I haven't heard from Jason if he wants to do that.

• Admin

Great start Robert!

This'll seem nitpicky as I'm about to nitpick on everything. ;)

I'm throwing my 2 cents plus a couple thousand words because I think designing flyers (for A:M or even for local products near you) is something we can all do here.

I'd replace every instance of v16 with "2011" where possible.

The one may change at any time while the other is an inevitable moving forward.

In theory we could have access to v15,v16 and v17 in 2011.

Versions and years aren't the same and (in theory) anything other than a v1 is no longer ideal.

(This is why companies use years and Xs in their marketing)

At any rate, the most important reason is that it would keep the flyer from becoming prematurely outdated.

That whole period space thing is awkward for me. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks!

Whether using one or two spaces after a period, the key is to remain consistent throughout. If you use two spaces after a period stick with that scheme. It's the changes/errors that draw attention to themselves.

I believe the secret to a useful flyer is to remove anything that could be considered excess.

(In theory this could mean no words at all if the image(s) sufficiently represent)

If more words are ideal, put in a link to someplace here in the forum with more text. (text that can easily be updated and kept current versus the flyer which may be outdated the day it is printed)

Again, you are trying to delay the inevitable day the flyer will become obsolete or at least extend that date.

Next up... more detailed nitpicking. ;)

• Admin

(Rather than add a play by play I'll just present my suggested changes. I'm trying to keep fairly close to Robert's original intent so I've backed off of my 'kill everything' approach to preserve this.)

What do people do with Animation:Master?

Everything! School assignments, fan films, greeting cards, visual effects, dialog tests, award-winning shorts, broadcast commercials, network graphics, zoetropes, architechural studies, dinosaurs, superheroes, bug-eyed monsters, viral internet memes, music videos, anime OAVs, cool cars, web comics and yes… even animated features.

What is Animation:Master?

Animation:Master is a...

Included with your purchase of A:M:

“The Art of Animation:Master”, a collection of video tutorials to get you started.

“A:M Technical Reference”, the details and descriptions of A:M’s large feature set.

“A:M Data", an archive of models, examples, projects, tutorials and demonstrations.

(These resources are available both in hard copy and online)

The A:M Forum:

Stuck on a tutorial? Baffled by a feature? Need feedback on your project? Beginning to think it, “It can’t be done”?

Log onto the most helpful user-forum in CG-dom and an A:M user will point you in the right direction.

The A:M Forum contains a bounty of free tutorials, videos, projects, and examples to help you learn A:M.

What’s new in 2011?

A:M is now 64bit ...and 32-bit! 64-bit A:M harnesses the greater power of RAM capacity of 64-bit Windows while 32-bit A:M retains compatibility with older processors and legacy plugins. You can even install both 32-bit and 64-bit and use them together.

A:M is faster! New optimizations for modern CPUs make rendering in 64-bit v16 for Windows over 40% faster. Mac rendering is six times faster!

Netrender is back and now included with A:M! Operate a small render farm on your multi-core computer or extend your distributed rendering out to 50 render nodes across your LAN. Netrender’s batch rendering and multiple job-queing facility will be useful even to single core users.

Other recent additions:

- Enhanced Selection Flilters aid in quickly isolating any user-defined set of elements for key framing and film editing. Want to focus on just “left fingers”, “right toes” and “middle tentacle”? You can filter for that!

- OpenEXR file format, the industry standard for HDR imagery and advanced compositing needs. Composite images and add a variety of Post Effects into your scenes.

- The Jenpy Screen Space Ambient Occlusion plugin produces dramatically faster AO lighting effects. Download the free version from the A:M Forum.

- Render Setting and Stability enhancements

What can you create with A:M?

See A:M User’s images and movies from beginner to advanced at : www.hash.com/stills (and) amfilms.hash.com.

Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/animationmaster

Minimum system requirements

How can you get all this and more in 2011 for only $79! Subscribe to A:M!

• Hash Fellow

Personally I like "v16" because that's what we all call it and whenever someone comes in here saying they have A:M 200X and where can they get the update we all scratch our heads and go "well, what version is that?"

Certainly less text is a reasonable notion, but I went with the wall of details for this flyer because I figure it's being handed out at a convention to people who have already stopped for a few minutes to watch the presentation but weren't hooked yet and are about to walk off.

So this isn't something they're going read right then and there, they're going to stick it in their pocket and move on to the rest of the con and maybe when they get home pull it out. Then they have time for details.

i remember the first C-64 ad i saw which was basically a wall of text but i read it all a hundred times over because I wanted to know about this thing.

I'm putting myself in the mind of the person thinking "well, maybe..." and throwing as many interesting bits at them as i can to get them to want it.

That was the strategy, anyway.

• Admin
I'm putting myself in the mind of the person thinking "well, maybe..." and throwing as many interesting bits at them as i can to get them to want it.

That was the strategy, anyway.

I can identify with that. For probably the better part of a year I visited a store in Japan that had A:M on the shelf and what was written on the box really intrigued me.

Although I knew I wanted A:M at the time I had a seriously hard time believing it could be all it said it was on the package for the price. I was use to getting a small percentage of features after a boat-load of promises from other companies.

Needless to say that A:M package was well read.

Personally I like "v16" because that's what we all call it and whenever someone comes in here saying they have A:M 200X and where can they get the update we all scratch our heads and go "well, what version is that?"

Yeah, you are stuck in the world of legacy thinking.

I don't fault you for it. It's hard to break free. ;)

I base my interest in the downplaying the version-ing for a number of reasons, one of which came from a discussion with Martin Hash.

The other was seeing how Microsoft and other companies were dealing with those things.

At that time I believed (and still believe) version-ing is a waste of resources within a subscription based framework.

In a true subscription system I suspect all 'versions' would be available or could be dialed back to as needed.

Such a system is always on and available. Nothing (no code) wasted.

Of course as long as variations/versions are available it's rather hard to transcend them isn't it?

Support for past versions supports old and/or obsolete ideas.

In coding terms I understand the difficulty in stepping away from iterations. Someone must track the code changes or risk breaking things.

In a perfect world earlier versions of features might still be there but they would be transparent to the user unless needed.

If you want to fix a bad installation you'd simply reinstall the current version or revert a feature as needed.

If someone came to the forum saying, "I'm using the 2011 rc1" or even "2011 release (version c)" that would make a lot more sense to me than v15. It immediately conveys meaning.

If we were to reread most of these queries I'd guess they state, "I think I bought it three years ago" or "I bought it in 2008". Rarer is the individual who tracks version releases.

By itself v15 or v16 conveys little meaning, we must match that designation with a specific time period (wasn't v16 released in 2011?) and therein lies confusion.

People often don't know so they wander around for awhile and/or guess at it.

Ideally, there is the current release and (if needed for specific reasons) earlier legacy releases.

I suppose they could start with version 100 and when they get to the perfection in version 1 just stop releasing. ;)

Anyway... a bit too theoretical for the purpose of a flyer but thought you'd get a kick out of my view on it.

Version-ing is (in a forward looking way) an obsolete construct for me.

I'm off to track down a coke (classic) but I having trouble remembering what year that was released.

I seem to vaguely recall version 120005 tasted best.

I remember when I first came to the forums, I was actually confused by the version numbers and had to go do a get info on A:M to see which version I was using - because the CDs have always been A:M 2001, A:M 2004, etc.

• Hash Fellow

I still see lots of version numbers out there... Maya 8, Painter 11, Firefox 3.6, Photoshop CS5...

I'm going to bet that "v16" will be current longer than "2011"

I think using the calendar year label is more confusing. We frequently have people asking things like what happens to their subscription if they buy "A:M 2010" in December 2010.

Also, A:M has stopped labeling the top of the A:M window with a year. It's just "Animation Master " now.

• Admin
We frequently have people asking things like what happens to their subscription if they buy "A:M 2010" in December 2010.

To which it may be proper to simply answer... "One year from the date of purchase... December 2011"?

Yes, I'm try to make things easy when we have a basic human need for the extremely complicated.

I'm going to bet that "v16" will be current longer than "2011"

I'd almost take that bet on principle alone.

As A:M versions technically ended a few years ago I may have already won that bet. ;)

I equate that form of futuristic thinking similarly to betting against the troops that work for me.

If you bet for them you at least have a chance of winning and their success will be worth seeing.

If you bet against them you'll always lose because it's a bet that was never worth winning in the first place.

In the olden days the version-ing of A:M was especially problematic because Hash Inc might deliver several versions in the space of one year (v11, v11.5 and v12 for instance). You'd think A:M Users might show their appreciation for that kind of return on their investment. If we were to see another upgrade in 2011 I certainly wouldn't turn it down. I'd gladly celebrate and get my pennies ready for another year. :)

Also, A:M has stopped labeling the top of the A:M window with a year. It's just "Animation Master " now.

It makes good sense to limit the things you need to update every year.

I suspect this is as true with A:M window labels as it is with flyers... which brings us back to the primary reason to avoid where possible references to v16 or even the year 2011.

In this way anyone who picks up the flyer just reads and absorbs the (current) information that is there.

As long as you don't name each version after different kinds of cats. My response to "are you using leopard or panther?" is "I have no idea."

That is a good example of the marketing system and how Apple escaped (at least temporarily) the numbered versioning system.

I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of that method... but haven't really taken the time to stare at it.

I think I understand why they decided to market it that way.

I still see lots of version numbers out there... Maya 8, Painter 11, Firefox 3.6, Photoshop CS5...

I suppose I should comment on this for completeness sake. Corel definitely tried to move away from the numbering system with "Painter X". Perhaps they returned to the numbering because the X confused too many people? They did the same thing with other products and still are with CorelDraw X5 (now isn't it so much cooler to buy that than v15? Someone in marketing must think so). The CS in Adobe products is still a mystery to me. It always makes me think there is a fuller version out there that I wouldn't be getting if I purchased the CS version. I loath hobble-ware. Firefox, we'll have to wait and see. Usually the problem doesn't sink in until after v3. It's like comic book numbering where the first issue sells very well and the second often plummets. The third issue usually recovers if there is still interest. After that sales usually plateau and/or slowly decay until some incentive calls attention to it once again. Software of course isn't a serialized comic book and after several versions the user may find themselves fully content. Price is also a major differentiation.

• Admin
I remain unconvinced.

You would have been the first. I'm not aware of anyone else I've swayed.

At least you gave the flyer a try. That's the important thing. :)

I suspect they'll at least draw inspiration from it if/when they create one.

Edit: In reading back it looks like they may have already used elements of your flyer.

I base my interest in the downplaying the version-ing for a number of reasons, one of which came from a discussion with Martin Hash.....

However ... it does seem, purely from observation, that we are moving away from identifying versions according to year, and moving toward identifying them only by version number. V16 simply says "v16". There is no mention of a year anywhere.

Referring to versions as BOTH a year and a version number has always been confusing. Personally, I don't care which system is used, as long as only ONE is used.

• Admin
However ... it does seem, purely from observation, that we are moving away from identifying versions according to year, and moving toward identifying them only by version number. V16 simply says "v16". There is no mention of a year anywhere

When you say this I'm not sure what you are seeing. You'd have to point me to the evidence.

You may have more information on that than me but I can only respond to what I've seen.

If you are talking of the forum headings that's probably my fault. Someone at Hash Inc hasn't yet stepped away from numbering so I use both when creating new forum headings.

Every year I'm surprised to see that the version is still retained.

The yearly designation has always been of significance with A:M. Once could argue that (for installation purposes) the version has been as well.

When I started using A:M, the year was prominently displayed and emphasized (remember the huge '98 on the 'Meltdown' CD)?

It's easy to remember the year that CD was released... but I always tend to mis-recall the version for that year.

I do recall the confusion with similar CDs that followed shortly thereafter when the year was not prominently displayed on CDs.

The yearly dues thing is intrinsically connected with the idea of a continuing subscription which historically has been sync'd to two events; the roll over of the calendar year and an official release at mid year (i.e. at SIGGRAPH). I don't see the subscription model going away but I perceive version-ing as a fatally flawed concept at best.

Versions by their very nature suggest a terminal sequence whereas we are quite likely to continue into the new year... every year.

At a guess I'd say the primary reason the version-ing nomenclature is still with us is that Steffen inherited the A:M Reporting system which has tracked code changes that way since v11.

Yes, if the version designation disappeared tomorrow it'd be okay with me.

• Hash Fellow
However ... it does seem, purely from observation, that we are moving away from identifying versions according to year, and moving toward identifying them only by version number. V16 simply says "v16". There is no mention of a year anywhere

When you say this I'm not sure what you are seeing. You'd have to point me to the evidence.

He means A:M itself. The splash screen has the version number on it and the A:M title bar no longer has the year in it. "About A:M" reveals a version number but no year in the name.

When ver 16 RC starts up, it only shows ver 16. Help/About Animation:master only shows version 16.0.

It has been this way for as long as I've been using A:M, I believe. Help/About in previous versions also showed which release of the version, eg Version 15.0j+. I don't remember seeing any year from the help/about. And when the CD is in, one never knows what image was on it. Version 15 CD, has no year on the image. Version 14, 13 had no year on the CD (I believe, would have to go dig it out). There is confusion even with years, versions having the same image on the CD (13, 14 eg)

It really is up to whoever is making these dvd,CD's, help/about screens as to whatever they want to put on it, and if they care if there is confusion.

Say, a question about the whole subscription thing.

As much as I love having the latest up to date version of A:M, I'm not a fan of "yearly dues" at all. We've paid money for the software, after all. I used to go years at a time without updating, and it suited me just fine. Now, however, we're pretty much forced to shell out for the upgrade every year just to keep the software running. Feels more like we're renting than owning. (Unless I'm just absolutely blind and there's a way to upgrade without subscribing.)

Is there/will there be a way to get upgrades without the leash in the future? Does the $300 box get you a subscription as well, and then you're forced to go update to keep the software running? Or is it just a free to use forever A:M like the old ones?

My Boxed CD version (v15), which I bought for $299, allows me to run the software as long as I want without paying a yearly subscription fee. When I bought the CD version, I also got a 1 year web subscription as well. It's nice to have the CD version, but it's more economical to just keep the web subscription up to date. If you want a screamin' great deal on a CD version, visit Hash at one of the conventions they are attending.

• Admin
As much as I love having the latest up to date version of A:M, I'm not a fan of "yearly dues" at all. We've paid money for the software, after all. I used to go years at a time without updating, and it suited me just fine. Now, however, we're pretty much forced to shell out for the upgrade every year just to keep the software running. Feels more like we're renting than owning. (Unless I'm just absolutely blind and there's a way to upgrade without subscribing.)

Alright, first things first, let's get this out of the way... stop being so cheap! ;)

The $79 subscription gives us access to A:M (a $299 software product worth a lot more than that) for one year.

At an equivalent rate we can subscribe and get new upgrades for the better part of 4 years. ($79x4 is fairly equivalent)

The fact that you prefer to go years without updating just makes us (as subscribers) shoulder the burden of your access to the research and development that finds it's way into tomorrows's features. There is no twisting of arms however. No hard feelings. You can simply purchase the CD and realize your dreams that way. Purchase new CDs/subscriptions as needed. Live a life free of leashes.

Software isn't owned (read the licensing agreement you accepted when you installed A:M)

We don't own A:M. We license it. We lease it (ahem... leash it!) from Hash Inc.

Is there/will there be a way to get upgrades without the leash in the future? Does the $300 box get you a subscription as well, and then you're forced to go update to keep the software running? Or is it just a free to use forever A:M like the old ones?

I understand with the purchase of the CD comes one free subscription for one year.

You can therefore use the version on the CD indefinitely but the subscription (i.e. support) will expire at one year.

At that point you will have to upgrade past that hard coded CD version with a new subscription and/or purchase a new CD if you plan to move forward with A:M.

The beauty of the CD of course is that you can make your own decision to stay there and still create amazing things with A:M. Just don't expect free support for what you aren't willing to pay for beyond that period. There is an associate price with being cheap; and regardless of the purchase... CD or subscription... we gain access to what we are willing to pay for.

I haven't purchased a CD in several years so I cannot independently confirm the free subscription with the CD but I have it on good authority this is the case.

(I suspect it's not promoted to us for fear of making us even cheaper. We want everything for free.)

My recommendation for those that don't care to support themselves/A:M through the yearly subscription... purchase the CD.

I keep thinking I'll do that myself every year but thus far have been content with being on the leash. (I'm cheap... and it saves me money!)

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Holmes response (above) is nicely concise and brief. For those that cannot attend a convention however I like to point out some of the benefits of going the $79 subscription route over the CD. Of course there are good reasons also to purchase the CD as well so if you've got the cash to burn, get the best deal you can get... purchase the CD every year. For most users however the subscription remains ideal. Free yourself from the CD and embrace the subscription. Stop drinking Coke/Pepsi for one month and you've paid for it already... and it'll be good for your health. ;)

We lease it (ahem... leash it!)

:lol:

Alright, that gives me a bit more insight into the whole shebang. I don't quite agree with the whole "shoulder the burden" outlook - standard business practice for most software packages outside of pay-to-play MMOs is you buy it, you install it, you use it. The company comes out with the new version next year, you look at all the shiny new features, and decide whether or not those features are personally worth it for you to spend the money on the upgrade.

That being said, A:M is very much a product like no other - like you mentioned. There is no massive campus at Hash, Inc. with thousands of employees pouring over the code. There is no $1k+ price tag leaving jaws on the ground. Animation:Master is absolutely the best deal I've ever seen in 3D software, period.

Honestly, I doubt there would be much interest in the return of the $99 upgrade CD. I probably wouldn't bother, I'd just keep renewing my $79 subscription anyway. But options are always nice. (And I do enjoy my collection of A:M cds!)

The CD is a better choice for me.

Gives me the opportunity to work on one PC , while at the same time use my other two PCs for rendering.

Also in case Hash might go bottom up - that god may beware - I still have the CD.

But I nevertheless use a subscription for my laptop, because I don`t always want to carry the CD around.