sprockets Short film by Svetlik Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Locomotive reversing gear

As the title says, this is the linkage used by steam locomotives to allow them to move forward or in reverse. The idea of splining the convoluted shapes and transitions intimidated me so much that I kept putting off starting them for months. But I finally bit the bullet and I think they can stand up to an arm's length inspection. The quasi rectangular frame (which is about 6 ft. long) has a close approximation of the final cast iron texture for all the parts but the Playdough colours on the other parts are just to ease inspection.

valve_gear.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and what great modeling to inspect. Rodger... you must have quite the A:M train thing going on by now... do you do model trains (basement style) as well? Have you seen the 'Union Station' in Union Lake, Michigan? This guy retired and bought an old store and built a MASSIVE HO scale model railroad with over 100 trains on the track...at least 25 running at a time... multiple sculpted artistic settings.

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging words.

robcat asked:

I wonder why they call it a gear when it looks like a lever?

Your question sent me on a web search that yielded "a device for transmitting motion for some specific purpose". I always thought of a gear as a multi-armed lever or a lever as a single toothed gear, both transmit force about a rotating axis.

John asked:

"...do you do model trains (basement style) as well?

I used to; went so far as to build a 1/48 scale set-up in the backyard so I could use natural sunlight to photograph them with a second hand 16mm movie camera. But 1/4" to the foot scale still wasn't really large enough to make the movies convincing. Then I discovered A:M and realized I could get the camera as close as I wanted and still maintain focus. The backyard set was soon dismantled.

jason asked:

Could you donate it so we can study it?

Usually I'm OK with sharing my models but this one's going to be my pride and joy. As an alternative I can offer a hi-res view of all parts in wireframe. If there's any specific section you'd like to see more closely, just ask.

valve_gear_wires.jpg