sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Multiple Character Creation

AMSpector

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im no pro, but I start from scratch for mechanical modeling and I "usually" start from an existing model for most non mech modeling, why? because I suk at organic modeling especially humans, animals of all types, some fish arnt to hard...... whatever floats you boat, give credit if you can to the original modeler. Good luck fellow Hasher..

I was wondering whether, as a rule, A:M pros usually build each character from scratch, or whether some use an existing base character to generate others?

Everyone should start from exisiting models, especially when they're getting started. You'll learn more and be more satisfied with the results. Building an entire character from scratch is educational, and some people may want to do it as an exercise but you should be working out of the Library.

• Admin

If you use existing characters as a starting point it is easier to have characters fit the same style as well. You want all of your characters to look like they live in the same world.

There may be times when building from scratch makes sense but why put more effort into it than necessary? If you already have the car built why reinvent the wheels every time you need one?

Modify. Modify. Modify.

You'll be able to tell more stories in your lifetime.

Depends on what you are after... how "new" is your character? Do you WANT to use existing models or should it be all "yours", etc.

I usually model everything from the beginning, not even using my own models as a start. As long as I am not on pressure with deadlines of course. For me it is fun to model...

BUT you need to know how to model to do that. So if you didnt quite get the thing with continuity, 5pointers, etc. you shouldnt try that.

On the other hand: Trial and Error is often the best teacher. (at least for me)

You will learn WHY you shouldnt do something. Not only how to do it right. That is often a very effective way to solve future-problems....

etc.

I'd hardly qualify as a pro, either (far from it!), but with my characters, I found there were pieces I could re-use like the hands, ears and the pelvis area. These could be adjusted to fit other characters. Even my female character has the same hands as the male characters, just heavily re-shaped to make them smaller and thin the fingers.

I spent the majority of my modeling time on each one working on their heads. To me, the rest of the body wasn't as important.

Even the simplest of models are capable of transforming into new characters:

I didn't bother to get all the weighting correct and the animation sucks but you should get the principal behind it and see the potential for speeding up the modelling of your characters.

This is useful for creating similar models, and for getting you part of the way there with the occassional new model

• Admin

Paul,

You are the man.

I've tweaked Thom's splines before but never THAT far!

Yet another added benefit of modifying existing models is that once you find a nice economy of splines for one you don't have to mess with more excessive meshes in other models. Keep it simple.

Thom is about as simple a mesh as you'll find in biped characters. ;)

You know, this forum is worth the $49 subscription I paid for A:M, you guys are awesome!! :D

I did start out working out of the library, and I made it through approximately half of the tutorials, but I began to feel that it was important for me to learn to model organic subjects from scratch (using rotoscopes), so I decided to focus on that for the time being. I did OK for my first full head (see below), but I'm not sure that the mesh is good enough. My concern is that there are too few spines for proper animation. Also, I can't seem to completely smooth out the area around the upper lip and nose, any thoughts?

Anyway, I was hoping to generate several characters from a mesh of my own, once I can come up with a good mesh. Then I want to pick back up on the tutorials and learn to animate them. I really appreciate all the great advice.

Oh, and the ears in the model below are really bad... LOL, I'll definitely have to fix them at some point.

Thanks.

post-12264-1223941566_thumb.jpg post-12264-1223941579_thumb.jpg post-12264-1223941588_thumb.jpg

For a first head that's not bad at all! The ears are always a problem so don't feel too bad about that. For a good head modeling tute I always recommend this one here... http://www.hash.com/users/jsherwood/tutes/SkyLark.pdf.

How much splinage you might need to animate a face is a matter of personal preference since it will depend on how realistic you want the face to be, if you'll be using closeups, as well as other condsiderations, but other folks here are way more knowledgeable than me on this subject.

One good starting place is to look at the characters in the library and especially the ones that are rigged with a full set of phoneme sliders, and see how dense the face splinage is on those. If you don't know how to check out stuff like that, just ask.