Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Super Mario film (continued)

Nunsofamerica

try turning on the plugin shader "oren-nayar" that might help...

but if you want the movie to look good and not like crap then render time goes up...

but 10mins is very good to me, did you know that most professional movies take 6hours per frame!!!

but after you add the toads it might go up to 13mins.

its not bad, really.

also i like how you added the glow.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a great idea chris. When he walks into the bathroom, it will show the whole thing, but when we have it close up to luigi inside the stall, we can delete all the other parts of the bathroom making rendering time go WHOOP! That will make it much faster, dont you think

the render time doesn't need to go down, its just fine, theres no way your gonna get render times down with out sacrificing quality. unless you want the video to suck then thats whats gonna have to go down. unless render times reach 20mins theres nothing to worry about...10mins is very good, accept it. and lighting isn't the only thing that cause render times. materials and texture play just as big a role in render times.

It dropped to 8 because those geniuses at Hash found some unneeded fluff in the render program kernel and removed it. (Or whatever it was they did.) The bottom line: Version 14 renders faster than version 13. (I can't wait till it's final! :D )

I found another possibility. This next image was done (In 14 beta) in 6 &1/2 minutes. The only difference was I turned off AO.

post-8837-1179025116_thumb.jpg

See any difference? ;)

I'll turn the glow back up a bit. Anything else need modeling?

EDIT: Just did a test render in Version 13 without AO. Same time as version 14. (6 & 1/2) I guess certain things just can't go any faster. {shrug}

sorry i haven't been here guys! i just got back from State Tennis. i will catch back up on things tomorrow. really tired. the trip to where i came from is about 5 hours away. going to bed, so i will talk to you guys later.

the tanman

I don't see any shadows, are they turned on? This will add to render times. You think ten minutes is bad, just wait. Reflections also add to render times.

yes there are shadows just soft shadows, in real life shadows can be extremely soft.... if fact i'm looking at one now....

The previous render still seemed too dark/grey to me. So I pumped the filler lights intensity up. The result:

post-8837-1179262653_thumb.jpg

That was an easy enough change. :D

It's a little hard to see from this angle but I also changed the shadows on the sink to be 'harder' and darker as they are closer to the light than the other stuff in the room

Only about 2&1/2 to 3 minutes render time (vr 13) on this pic, BTW.

holy crap you did it O_o, how btw?

Oh my! Is that a "Black_Mage seal of approval? :P

I have about 20 lights that are just for lighting(no shadows) but they are all shortcuts to one light. I change that and POW! Instant mood change.

The harder shadows are from a different set of lights than the main ceiling so I could have two types of shadows.

Or did I do something else to catch your attention? ;)

Here we go.

It should be noted that anyone may use this file, (or parts thereof) if they give a small hint of credit. (Or hide the name 'Chrury Sanson' somewhere in your animation.;))

Everything is embedded and the zip file contains the images I used as decals.

Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toad, Peach's Crown, breakable block, and koopa designs property of Nintendo and used without permission. (Please don't sue. I'm a big fan, honest!) :D

Does the handicapped sign belong to anyone?

bathroom.prj

AMdecals.zip

Chris, I was taking a look at your model and I found a few things a little odd. Your light covers don't seem to be transparent, and the actual bulbs arn't below the cieling line. You've also covered up all of the detailing on the vents. I have no idea what you've done with the cieling model, but I cannot get Ray traced lights to work when that particular model is active; it must be something with the boolean cutters. It appears that you're missing one light in the dead center of the room.

I modified the scene a little so I could see what I would look like with Radiosity. I should have done a better render, but this was just a quick test.

post-7957-1179550718_thumb.jpg

-------

I did a bit of edditing to get a little better results with photon mapping.

post-7957-1179555810_thumb.jpg

Matt, he used boolean cutters for the recessed lights and the vents.

I noticed that. For some reason, Lights cannot exsist inside of a boolean cutter.

Chris, I was taking a look at your model and I found a few things a little odd. Your light covers don't seem to be transparent, and the actual bulbs arn't below the cieling line. You've also covered up all of the detailing on the vents. I have no idea what you've done with the cieling model, but I cannot get Ray traced lights to work when that particular model is active; it must be something with the boolean cutters. It appears that you're missing one light in the dead center of the room.

I modified the scene a little so I could see what I would look like with Radiosity. I should have done a better render, but this was just a quick test.

post-7957-1179550718_thumb.jpg

-------

I did a bit of edditing to get a little better results with photon mapping.

post-7957-1179555810_thumb.jpg

Matt, he used boolean cutters for the recessed lights and the vents.

I noticed that. For some reason, Lights cannot exsist inside of a boolean cutter.

Well, I hadn't planned on using radiosity because of the render times.

Wait, the bulbs in the ceiling? Those are just for show. I hid the kliegs in the chor because the scene was getting too busy with them. The actual light emitting bulbs should all be well below the ceiling. You could scale the boolian sections up closer to the ceiling to give the kliegs more moving room.

Or I could remodel the ceiling. (Do I have to? :unsure: )

The vent cutters could probably be deleted. I don't think anyone will look close enough to see the ceiling intersecting its insides.

Yeah, radiosity does have a major drawback, and that's render times. You probably should not use it for such a cartoon-like scene.

But yes, boolean cutters might be a quick fix, but for good style I wouldn't recommend using them. There are a whole array of light problems associated with them, they're not easy to change if there is a problem, and it's just as easy to make the 3d object that you're trying to make with the boolean cutter.

Anyways, I worked on the bathroom model a bit, and here it is with an almost complete radiosity render. I had planned on changing the exposure and doing some gamma correction and tone mapping with it, but it was canceled before it could finish all the way.

post-8217-1179601634_thumb.jpg

wow! It's so... transformed! It looks like a steamy restroom under a basketball court. :D I can just imagine the showers right outside the door.

making the boolean geometry into the lights is a nice touch.

You're quiet correct about the modeling. If my co-animators complain, I'll fix it up.

sorry nuns that i have been here. school just got out, and everything has been so hectic. my grandma is not feeling well, and i am going to be gone quite a bit this summer. around the first of June i will be gone to a concert. june 15-23 i will be gone to austin, texas to stay with my aunt. i will try to keep in touch then, because she will most definitely have a computer. i will notify you if i will be gone any other time this summer.

now back to the film. what do you want me to do with the castle? and i need something else to work on right now. is there anything that you want me to try and model or to try and animate???

plus i would like to know about the lighting. where does it talk about the radiosity??? i couldn't find it anywhere?????

jequed! Wonderful. You did a fantastic job. thanks. Now, tido will have to finish up tweaking the modeling on mario and we will start the animation.

Tanner, want to model a room with a warm log cabin like look. You can furnish it with furniture like you have on turbosquid

here is the beginning of the modeling of the cabin room. it is very rough, and i will work on it. the only problem i have with this is the texturing. what can i do to make the texturing of the logs look semi-real??? some of the things that i plan on adding to the room is two rocking chairs, a rug (texturing problem), a fireplace. What else???

post-10457-1180240626_thumb.jpg

i just got done with the fireplace, and will show the pic tomorrow. i am also going to put up a mirror/vanity thingy, a desk, and some pictures on the walls. Who's place is this anyways?? umm..... do i need to put a door in, cause if i do i hope that will be a problem. i built the walls before adding the door. it won't be a problem though if the door just stands still.

here is an update on the log cabin room. should the floor be wood or carpet looking?

i am also going to add a ceiling fan to the ceiling and that is going to be where the light will come from. how do i add lights to the ceiling fan? in the modeling window i am guessing? tomorrow i will show a close up of what is on the desk/vanity. there is a book and a piece of paper with writing on it. it is pretty funny. i will be putting up pictures on the walls of mario, luigi, princess peach, toad, and all of the mario characters. please tell me if i am missing something.

I HOPE YOU LIKE THE ROOM!!!

OH AND I NEED A TEXTURE FOR THE LOGS!!!!!! A.S.A.P.!!!!

I WILL ALSO BE GONE THIS WEEKEND. I MIGHT BE BACK SUNDAY!!!

The second picture isn't as clear as I though it would be.

Here is what the paper says.

Mario and Luigi’s To Do List!

Clean the House.

Make the Beds.

Squish Goombas.

Save Princess Peach.

Iron Overalls.

Go Plumbing.

Cook Dinner.

Feed Yoshi.

Kill Bowser.

Trim Moustaches