Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

new animation short

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angelo!! That was incredible :o Like Rodney, I was definitely not expecting anything of that calibre.

Is it part of a longer film you are creating?

I think Hash should get permission to put together a showreel containing all the stunning work that is being posted on this forum lately. Maybe even send it in to 3D World magazine for inclusion on their coverdisc or something. I'm sure they would include it.

Wow! I'm really stunned by the quality of stuff I've seen on this forum this morning.

• Admin
Of course my general conclusion is that I like it.

There's a difference of judgement speaking as football-trainer or fellow-player.

Niels... my general conclusion is that if I could animate like that I'd quit my day job!!!

If I could nitpick it would be that I don't fully follow the story.

In the larger context it might make more sense.

Niels... my general conclusion is that if I could animate like that I'd quit my day job!!!

I can :)

If I could nitpick it would be that I don't fully follow the story.

In the larger context it might make more sense.

I said it after a message he sent and asked me.

Niels

ps.

I also saw the pieces he placed on youtube(yourtube?).com

Thanks for everyone’s comments. They’ve been very helpful.

Rodney, I really like your comment about it looking like a comic. That was my intention.

As far as the story, the only thing I wanted to get across is that these 2 women hate each other.

These 2 women come from a radio drama series I co produce call “Adventures of Anne Manx” there are 4 two hr episodes completed so far. The main character of Anne Manx is voiced by Claudia Christian and her nemesis Jean Richmond is voiced by Pat Tallman, both from the TV series Babylon 5. you can read the synopsis of each episode on the website http://rrca.com/shows.html

The animation was done by Chris Cruise, who I met here on the forum. We came up with this story together but the other 2 shorts that I have on youtube were taken from our most resent radio drama. Just because it was easier to work with the sound track already done. But the one I posted here the story, music and sound fx were created from scratch.

Please continue to comment or ask questions, it is much appreciated.

Jeese Louise that's nice! I agree sss would put that over the edge. What a great piece to use the new feature on. I would replace those youtube vids with better quality. The difference between the clip you posted and those was night and day. It is worth the extra download time.

Can't wait to see it all.

• Admin
As far as the story, the only thing I wanted to get across is that these 2 women hate each other.

Then mission accomplished I would say.

Regarding the sound.

I didn't notice anything amiss so I'd say it was just fine on my end.

• Admin

Very nice quality on those two versions.

I've got to say I'm really jealous of the talent on display with they sequential shorts.

I have a long term project that I'd love to be able to render with the style and quality I see in your work.

If only...

Color me very impressed.

Its amazing to me when projects like this appear (seemingly out of nowhere).

The animation was done by Chris Cruise, who I met here on the forum.

Chris should step in here and take a bow. :)

The animation is nice. Very subtle details in a lot of places.

The lighting and yes... the sound... really contribute a lot too.

Wow! Those two clips are of the same very high standard. The character voices are, and obviously we now know why, perfect. The music and sound effects seem spot on too creating a totally professional whole. I guess your radio broadcasting experience is paying off here :)

Was the music composed especially to the scenes? I'd like to know a bit more about how the music was created please.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments!

Angelo and I have teamed up to create the visual version, based on RRCA's radio drama, of "Anne Manx on Amazonia". It's been fun, I've learned a lot and really appreciate the encouraging feedback. I'll post a few clips that ended up on the cutting room floor-- scenes that never made it to the final edit so to speak. ;)

Was the music composed especially to the scenes? I'd like to know a bit more about how the music was created please.

well the music was first composed for the radio versions, but then adapted for the animation. For the clips “perfect” and “kiss” I was able to use the same score because the scene is pretty much the same as it played out in the radio drama. But for the clip “catwalk” the music was re scored to fit the action. As you can imagine the radio drama is driven with wall to wall dialog. So once we did 2 clips that were based on already existing scenes, it was time to try something that did not exist in the radio drama and had NO dialog.

So the challenge and fun was to take the key moment of anne opening the missile doors and make the music express that feeling of “O sh--”. I love hearing sound take over music in key moments, so I stop the music just in time to hear anne push the button that opens the missile bay doors.

• Admin

Wowsa. I'll bet that was a tough thing to cut.

I'll have to go back and look but I like where she steps over the railing.

My memory says this is something I didn't catch in the other version.

Thanks for sharing your cut scene.

That gives interesting insight into your work.

That has got to be motion capture in most of the character action right?

Not that it looks like what we've come to know as mo cap but there is some really sweet subtlety in gestures etc. (I'm trying to say... great job!)

This is fun stuff! :)

That has got to be motion capture in most of the character action right?

Not that it looks like what we've come to know as mo cap but there is some really sweet subtlety in gestures etc. (I'm trying to say... great job!)

This is fun stuff! :)

Ha ha! Motion capture??? Dude, that's a HUGE compliment! Hey, I take what I can get!!! :lol: Actually, I've been doing this kind of animation for less than a year and I think that last statement made it worth the while; thank you!

• Admin
I've been doing this kind of animation for less than a year and I think that last statement made it worth the while; thank you!

You deserve some serious compliments for your work.

I don't have time right now to go back through the animation and pick out favorite parts but I encourage animators here in the forum to do just that. Try to spot the gestures and movement that are subtle and smooth.

There is a reason I suspected mo cap but what I was seeing defied that paradigm so I had to ask. You've expertly captured the nuances of human gesture in animated form.

"Doing this kind of animation for less than a year" says he. :blink:

"B R A V O !" says me.

Just some more deleted production archives...

In February of '06, Angelo pitched an idea to me about making a sci-fi adventure. I later storyboarded some ideas, setup some models and produced what you're about see. It wasn't long after that, that we went with the Anne Manx on Amazonia Universe. So the details in the enclosed files were never finished and the shots never used. The concern was that it was too starwars-ish, so we bailed.

btw, the audio is damaged in the divx clip, half of it works and the other half doesn't.

CAUTION: SOME NUDITY

archive.zip