Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Industrial Hallway

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, according to the 1998 California Building Code - the High Level & Low Level Exit Sign Regulation numbers (1003.2.8, 1007.2.7, 1007.2.8, 1007.2.9, 1007.3.12, 1007.5.13, 1007.6.2a, 1007.6.2.1a) allow for the placement of both ground style and ceiling style exit signs... but... other than that... could ya give some feedback... or perhaps some tips to make the picture realer looking? lol :lol:

i need to show it from the other sides though. there's all sorts of different stuff in this model.

lol. no... i was just wondering if building codes would allow it, so i checked the wonderfuest tool in the world, the internet.

Well, there's not been much feedback on my pictures... so maybe it's just that you all need a different angle for a picture. Please give me some feedback on what needs work... or what i should add to make the shot more pr looking.

render time: 4:53:12 <_<

post-8217-1128183249_thumb.jpg

I guess it depends what you plan to do with the hall way. Do characters breifly just pass through? If so then it is probably fine. If you need it to hold up to more scrutiny then here are just a few things I notice.

The walls look very pixelated. The pipes look too perfect. Baseboards as Dagoos suggested would help. The bracket or whatever the pipes pass through is pretty simple and could probably use some more detail.

As I said it depends on what you want to do with it so some or all of these things may not matter. It already looks pretty good.

There's something off about the scale of the wall texture. It makes the room look miniaturized. The floor and ceiling seem fine. In any case, I'd suggest beveling that wall corner, because concrete as pitted as that would likely not have such sharp corners.

A charcoal-colored rubber baseboard would probably help too, not only in terms of realism, but also graphically, to draw the viewer's eye into the room a bit more.

Incidentally, do underground pipes really just disappear into the floor like that? It seems like that would make them hard to maintain. I assume they'd be accompanied by some sort of floor plate or something. Ditto that one black wire.

I'll get right working on that. I did kinda have a funny feeling about that one wire though. It was in a reference shot. i may put some brackets on it... or possibly remove it entirely... And yes... pipes disapear into walls and floors all the time. Ever been inside an airforce underground full pump station? There are hundreds of pipes goin every which way in there. lol

but a "hey, looking better" would be nice too ya know... :(

post-8217-1128378225_thumb.jpg

post-8217-1128378249_thumb.jpg

Dude, do we really have to say what we're all thinking? It looks awesome, however, the guys who've posted are damn good at what they do and they're giving your crits because your work is good.

I really like it, reminds me of CS: Source for some reason...

And I was wondering if you could post a pic of your coreography and/or your light settings?

Oh and you've done a great job improving the floor.

The work here is just incredable. The only thing I would change would be adding some kind of treatment to the outside corner, I don't know what exacty, but corners never look that nice or clean, a skuff or a dent would add tons of realism

• Admin

Wow. Very impressive.

It immediately reminded me of some basement hallways in a hospital I visited years back.

I agree that the lines that are appearing... that separate walls from floors and ceiling are a bit to stark.

If there is any way you could break up the line a bit that would really sell it.

I keep thinking that there must be someone that mops and waxes that floor from time to time too... maybe some evidence or wear (or waxy buildup) would be nice.

Very Nice!

Rodney

Sorry i havent done anything with this for a while but... I HAVE A NEW UPDATE :lol: lol

Well, i've been learning more and more about radiosity and population of a scene, and thought i'd work some more on my hallway.

Changes:

I added a ruber boarder around the floor, and had it bow and come appart in areas where the glue may have given away, even though it's not easy to see them... they're there lol. I changed the POV of the shot, added some ventalation ducts at the top, placed a few stacked cones close to the camera to reinforce the "3D" aspect of the stereo, another florecent light in the hallway junction area, put in some signs, a fire hose, ciggarette butts, and a guy walking around the corner that you can see in the mirror... (ooooo mysterious O_o) lol. I also made the florecent lights much realer looking by removing the "ambient + glowing" plastic sheet cover and gave the inside a brushed reflective metal material look.

Let me know what you guys think. :D

post-8217-1129282747_thumb.jpg

Jesus. Well, I'll say this: if you called the image done right now, I'd agree with you.

I have a suggestion: have you tried doing a specular map so that the floor is shinier / more reflective only in patches? It'd be neat to have the middle more scuffed with scuffs randomly down the corridor (kind of akin to what Rodney said above).

The thing is, while the image looks incredible it needs something more... like a person or a cat or something, some reason for the viewer to be there, looking down this hallway.

Oh, and the low exit sign of the first shots felt wrong to me, somehow. I know you said it's okay by the code, but I've never seen one that low myself.

Keep going!

Jesus. Well, I'll say this: if you called the image done right now, I'd agree with you.

lol. :lol: i'm never going to be done with this model. :( every time i look at it i see areas that need something or improvement. "maybe a sprinkler system, a sprinkler control valve maybe, how about an electric pipe that runs from light fixture to light fixture with supports and screws for the supports" lol. this model has well over 18000 splines lol and it keeps growing.

Well, thanks guys. I'll probably start work on the floor texturing pretty soon.

Here's the color map for the sign luckbat. but i still think the neon no smoking sign looks good to me... kinda like a stop sign glow when lights on it.

post-8217-1129326954_thumb.jpg

post-8217-1129327007_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Very very nice additions.

You have incredible patience I'll certainly give you that.

Now all you have to do is reverse the image and make it look like its a reflection in the windows of a door.

JUST KIDDING!!!

I'm sure you could tweak forever but I think I'm done suggesting. Looks great to me!

Really incredible imagery.

Rodney

No no no. I think the word your searching for is Splintastical.

The push for this kind of realism hit both of us when Doom 3 came out. You can get good looking images like this with normal maps, so make sure to use those rather than bump maps. Way way way way WAAAY more detail.

See the guy? That's Nigel. Wiat a minute... How'd he get all the way down here?

post-7957-1129340580_thumb.jpg

Nicely done. Great additions, and the camera angle is much better. Would love to see a high-res version of this (so we can see the dude a little better)

I would love to see this scene with some sort of story being told in the imagery, but that's just me.

You should be very proud of your work.

I encourage you to post it on CGtalks Finished Section

- pjc