sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Turbot WIP

Gene

Hi All,

Well, I was modeling away and I came across this idea of a turtle robot....yes, a TURBOT.

I really like the way it is coming out, although I would have approached this much differently next time around (that's what it's all about no?)

I would like some critique on this model as I might clean it up for the Mascot Entry.

Thanks,

Eugene

Turbot.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, that looks good!

One little critisizm, as you asked for it, is the eyes. It looks like you have applied a decal with a black pupil and forgot to change the key colour to something other than black. I may be wrong and that maybe exactly what you intended. If so I am very sorry.

Has he got something hiding in that shell?

Well done! How about a walk cycle now? :)

Paul Forwood

Great work!

A few things I noticed:

Color, like some of the others have suggested. Perhaps a faint greenish tint to the metal. Too much green would detract from the "robot" look.

The legs seem a bit long, if this guy does some kinda Transformer move and tucks his legs under his shell I suppose that could work, but for a real turtle the legs would want to be shorter.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Steve P.

I will try to add some color to the shell and take a look at the decal which is applied on the eye.

The angle of the shot makes some things look a bit out of proportion, so perhaps I will post an updated shot when I can tweak some of the suggestions made.

Thanks for all the input, you know how it goes when you are too close to the forest....(however that saying goes).

Cheers,

Eugene

• 2 weeks later...

So,

Here is a bit of color that has been added and I adjusted the eye decal (Thanks Paul!)

Let me know if you have any last minute suggestions...I am running out of time!

Cheers,

Eugene

Turbot_001.jpg

Just curious,

But is there a theory about seeing a character at eye level?

I have 3 cameras setup, but I don't really know why I chose the one I did.

Will try another shot...

John Bigboote,

I haven't rigged it yet as this is an area that I am not so good at, but I did try to leave enough space to have it's head retract although I would probably have to make some changes.

Will post another....

Thanks,

Eugene

OK, here is the different angle...yes, I notice some things.

The head will definitely not fit in the shell and I realize that I scaled things in different proportions, plus the head helmet thing wasn't really planned so it made the head larger. Anyway...no biggie.

There are a few other things that could be cleaned...you can probably pick at some.

Anyway, thanks again all

Cheers,

Eugene

TurbotCam3_001.jpg

Nice job! yea, the new color definately looks better. I actually liked the camera angle you had in the first shot. I thought it was fine, and it brought more attention to the hash logo on its shell. Just my opinion though-

robert