Hash, Inc. Forums
R Reynolds

I've been working on the railroad

I've been spending my lock-down time giving my steam locomotive something to pull. I'll use this topic to display all of my railroad cars as they're rolled out of the factory. Since showcasing my renders on a personal web site is so 20th century I've decided to make the plunge to Instagram. But the phone-size 1080x608 limit is a bit small for my taste so I'll be putting up the hi-res versions here.

factory_rollout_00.jpg

• Like 1

That's a tease!.

Glad to hear you are well and always glad to see new work from you!

Looks Great!,  I like all the texture details 
like cracks in the pavement and stains coming from the windows.

That is awesome.  Excellent.  

Great modeling !!

Let's start at the end of the train with the caboose. They went out of style in the 1980's but I still think they're the "right" away to finish off a line of railroad cars.

factory_caboose_00.jpg

factory_caboose_01.jpg

• clap 2

I love cabooses!

I was disappointed if we were stopped at a crossing for a train and there was no caboose at the end.

Before I move on to the next railcar I beg your indulgence while I brag about getting a believable "look" to the rear running lights. The rear facing lenses are tinted red with the other three are tinted green. The light from the internal bulb is quasi collimated i.e. the lamps appear illuminated only if viewed close to on-axis with the lenses. I wheeled the caboose back into the dark factory to get a better view.

factory_caboose_03.jpg

factory_caboose_04.jpg

factory_caboose_05.jpg

• Like 3

Next up, a flat car. I've always felt one's interest in passing flat cars is proportional to the loads they're carrying, making an endless line of container cars extremely boring. Having said that, large steel pipes are pretty plain as well (but low in patch count). So I went a bit overboard on the material textures for the rusty steel and woven tie down straps.

factory_flatcar_00.jpg

factory_flatcar_01.jpg

factory_flatcar_02.jpg

• Like 1
  • clap 1

Stunning detail. The lighting on the second one is especially convincing!

I can guess what LD LMT means but what are CAPY and LT WT?

Wow great modeling

what are CAPY and LT WT

LT WT (light weight) is the weight of the empty car. As you've guessed, LD LMT (load limit) is the builder's recommendation for a maximum safe load while CAPY (capacity) is the absolute maximum load the wheel bearings can withstand.

• Like 1

The first type of boxcar I built was the older style where the handbrake wheel is mounted horizontally above the roof line. In order to maximize the number of boxcars, I decided to cheat and put a different railroad line and specs on each side of a single car. This scheme only breaks down when looking at the end of a single car where you see the two different numbers. However once the two cars are connected together and their ends are somewhat obscured I now have two boxcars for the price of one model.

factory_boxcars_00.jpg

factory_boxcars_01.jpg

factory_boxcars_02.jpg

factory_boxcars_03.jpg

factory_boxcars_04.jpg

• Like 2

Rodger, all the images in this thread have turned to links and I only get a broken graphics symbol when I click on them.

Today they show properly!

In order to maximize the number of boxcars, I decided to cheat and put a different railroad line and specs on each side of a single car. This scheme only breaks down when looking at the end of a single car where you see the two different numbers.

How about an image sequence containing maybe 10 different treatments and use a pose slider to select one for each car?