Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also I chose shaggy for this exercise

I have it in a major resolution but I still had the file bigger of the allowed

Name: federico lima

Exercises Completed: 1:you are the director

Date Completed: 18/10/2005

Instructor: cole 3d

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: (Optional but appreciated)

post-6588-1129614654_thumb.jpg

dir1.mov

Hey guys, nicely done.

Something to consider for the future (it will become more and more important) is look at the lines formed by the character when you pose them - arms in relation to the hands and fingers - head in relation to the body, legs and feet. Curves instead of straight lines...

When I started I found it very difficult to loosen up. My advice - keep loosening it up until someone says you have taken it too far - you might be suprised just how far you need to take it!

Cheers

• Admin

Great to have you with us Aparna!

Yours is a great name BTW. There is strength in that name. It means something (of course) but I just don't know what(!). In any case, take note everyone, Aparna Chakraborty is a name to watch.

Looking forward to seeing more from you here in the forum.

Rodney

Name: Eric Goesch

Excercise completed: #1 You're the Director

Date completed: 10/25/05

Comments: I've played around with AM for a little while now, but never got serious about finishing the Chapter Excercises. I want to get the coveted AM certification for my wall. :)

Here's a link to my KeeKat AVI: http://home.comcast.net/~pyglesias03/KeeKat.avi

Name : Marc Vancouillie

Exercise completed : exercise 1

Date: 11/26/2005

Comments:Hello, I am in for the exercises as well.

I am using AM since 1999 and have used AM 8.5 a lot

under windows 98.Those exercises gives me the

opportunity to learn the latest AM version under

windows xp

:)

exercise_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Hello from Thailand,

I'm a new user for A:M. I start the tutorial and do the exercise with zero experience with A:M. So, I may able to point out some (small) point that able to confuse totally new user like me.

Name: Panutat Tejasen (A.K.A. Jimmy)

Exercise Completed: Exercise 1 : You're the Director

Date Completed: November 5, 2005

Instructor: Rodney (Forum)

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: (Optional but appreciated)

This is a very good exercise. My first render, the character is located above the floor. So, it force me to change view to left view and move the character to the proper position. It's fun to play with many mode of rendering. The result of multipass rendering is very impressive for me as my first rendering from A:M

post-8054-1131209074_thumb.jpg

Greetings All......

Just Got my copy todayof AM and frankly haven't been this excited about a 3d purchase before. Obviously complete newie to AM and will be climbing that learning curve ......have dabbled a little with other programs like Vue and Carrara but in the end was looking for a good character animaton program to learn and AM seemed just the best alternative...so here I be....Anyhow had looked over forums before buying and was really impressed with the community. Kudos for all..especially those vets who find some time to post here and there. This whole exercise practice is really good...I mean it forces you to learn it right from the beginning and yes There is temptation to stray ....but these are just too well done to ignore and not do...so I am going to try and get through them all.....may take a bit but .............well worth the effort and thanks for AM for putting these out there.

Anyhow :

Name: Rich Gelles

Exercise Completed: Exercise 1 : You're the Director

Date Completed: November 5, 2005

Instructor: Rodney (Forum)

And a away we go.....

exercise_one1.bmp

------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

Exercise 1: You're the Director

------------------------------------

Name : Robert D. Wilkens

Submission : Exercise 1 Output Image

Instructor: TAoAM Book, and afterwards watched the attached video (without changing anything) on this thread.

Date: 11/7/2005

I see everyone else submitting as they go along with these exercises, I'm going to follow along too, unless someone complains. Actually, i'll welcome complaints if their constructive ones.

-Rob

post-4372-1131376442_thumb.jpg

Name: Mike Fernandez

Exercise Completed: Exercise 1: You’re the Director

Date Completed: Nov 14, 2005

Instructor: None

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: The timeline view is very difficult to figure out, but once I got the hang of it, I think I understand it’s power. (I had to go there to adjust the wink).

I've been playing around with AM for a couple of months, mostly making shiny lathe objects. (It’s amazing how interesting they are.)

• Admin

Panutat -

My first render, the character is located above the floor. So, it force me to change view to left view and move the character to the proper position. It's fun to play with many mode of rendering.

The 'smart' models in current versions of A:M usually get it right and place the character where it is supposed to be (via raytracer I'm told by Hash Inc). Its doesn't get it 100% of the time however. Not to confuse anyone with the term 'smart models' here.... note that it is A:M that is making these models 'smart' and not something done to the models themselves.

As you've found however mistakes can be a good thing and often lead to better understanding of other parts of the program and process.

Rich -

This whole exercise practice is really good...I mean it forces you to learn it right from the beginning and yes There is temptation to stray ....but these are just too well done to ignore and not do...so I am going to try and get through them all.....may take a bit but .............well worth the effort

There is certainly temptation to stray but stay the course! It'll be worth it.

Some exercises seem entirely too easy (especially for veteran users) but it helps everyone to be on the the same page later (pun intended) and speak the same 3D language.

Robert -

I see everyone else submitting as they go along with these exercises, I'm going to follow along too, unless someone complains.

We've resisted the urge to get to formal around here... join in and have fun as you post.

Feel free to comment and encourage others and you'll more than likely see some of that in return.

The A:M Community is us!

Keith - (!) Great to have you with us! You've been lurking entirely too long. I hope this means we'll be seeing more from you in 'Tin Woodsman of Oz'.

Mike -

The timeline view is very difficult to figure out, but once I got the hang of it, I think I understand it’s power.

You are right. The timeline can be hard to grasp especially for those not familiar at all with animation or movie making. As we see more people tackle the TAoA:M exercises I think you'll see more and more examples of timeline usage on display here in the forum. As the average knowledge level of A:M Users increases that brings more in depth and detailed examples and projects into the community.

Thanks for posting guys.

Great to have you all with us! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, that looked good Doug. Not many people venture into moving the camera in this first excercise - good to see creativity.

Next time, though, don't leave so much empty space above Keekat's head. Have your object fill the screen.

Good job :)

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Jody Krivohlavek

Exercise Completed: Exercise 1

Date Completed: December 21, 2005

Instructor: AM Handbook, Video Tutorial and everyone that's ever posted to these forums.

(Been around since the Playmation days :D )

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

Well, I did most of these when I first got AM:2k5. I'll just go through them again for fun now that life has given me some copious amounts of spare time. (Yeah, right!) :P

Anyway, better late than never. Also, I included a character from my "Big" project. He still needs some work, but the rig works nice on the tenticles. B)

director.jpg

Name: Ross Klettke

Date Completed: 12-24-05

Remarks: Now that my superlong winter break is here I'm looking forward to working through these exercises. One down! I must be halfway done now right? :lol:

(I really wish the bodies of these smilies were lopped off... being an animation site we should be able to recognize that the reads the bodies are giving in no way helps to convey the emotion that the face is showing) :)

ex1.mov

Geez, I didn't know you could get a certificate for working your way through the exercises. I was doing that anyways. Can I go back and post my completed exercises with the information that's needed? Or do I need to redo the exercises and post them as soon as I finish them? Anyways, just curious . . .

Name: Vance Gloster

Date Completed: 12/30/05

Instructor: none

I have been using Hash off and on products since they were selling Playmation, before A:M (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I decided that going through all the exercises should be a good way to get up to speed on the latest version. Here's my first project:

-Vance

Exercise01.jpg

• Admin

Madeline, John, Evan and Kythan

Congratulations for being the first in 2006 to embark on the journey.

Great way to start the new year.

Go get em!

*You too Vance.... you led the way by a day!

Teresa,

I somehow missed your post. By all means you can post em if you've got em.

Glad to have you officially with us.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Andy Stewart

Exercise Completed: Ex 1: You're the Director

Date Completed: January, 25, 2006

Instructor: Book and Tut

Figured what the heck, might as well up mine too :D

Three different renders of KeeKat and Thom. I thought the 'glow' on Thom in the middle one was kinda cool.

[attachmentid=13687] [attachmentid=13688] [attachmentid=13689]

post-8674-1138169029_thumb.jpg

post-8674-1138169112_thumb.jpg

post-8674-1138169129_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Andy,

I like the way you think. Testing out the possibilities makes for great results.

I really like the toon render. Is that straight out of the renderer or did you do anything to get the spotlight area as it is shown?

Andy,

I like the way you think. Testing out the possibilities makes for great results.

I really like the toon render. Is that straight out of the renderer or did you do anything to get the spotlight area as it is shown?

Rodney,

Glad ya like 'em. On the toon render, honestly, I don't remember. I did it around 1am last night with one eye open. I don't THINK I changed anything and it's a default render, but I'm not positive.

Typical for me... just like at work, I do something, then the next day I can't remember how I did it. :rolleyes:

Welp, off to work on Ex 3 (Ex 2 is finished, just waiting for it to render so I can upload it). (I cheated and skipped ahead yesterday and did Ex 9 (Flower), but want to go through 3-8 before I upload it in case I want to re-do it. :D

A

Hey Rodney,

I have complete the first two excercises and working on the third. I'm wondering something about them.

I noticed on the first one with KeeCat. His right foot is up at a odd angle when I drop him onto the Choreography window. And I never touched any of his settings. Second LOL is the most funny. When setting the Can Can excercise. I want to know who let Michael Jackson slip into the armor of the Knight. :blink: Shaggy and rabbit do it right. But the knight is all kinda funky when I render the movie. I have to admit I got kick outta it. (LOL yes full pun intended) I was laughing quite well. When I first rendered the movie. Then went back and did it again and low and behold Michael was back again LOL.

I don't know if either of these is something normal or not LOL. Just curious if I was the only one?

Thanks and have a good one.

• Admin

Phoenix,

It may be that you have back copies of the Keekat and Knight models.

There are links to good models here inthe Exerise areas.

The Knight's knees is a new problem people are encountering with the 2006 CD. I haven't seen Keekat's foot problem in quite awhile though. If you adjust the roll handle he should be able to stand with a lot less pain however.

You may have to share your project file for us to see the whole picture. (pun also intended!)

Edit: Whoops! It's posted by others right here in this area too.

Like this one:

post-8584-1136744030_thumb.jpg

Try the foot bone's roll handle and see how you fare.

Rodney