Exercise 1: You're the Director

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rodney,

Just wanted to say thank you for the work you are doing. I just received A:M day before yesterday and you've already helped a lot. Can't wait to get through all of the exercises and start on some of my ideas.

Here is my (relatively uneventful) entry for exercise 1.

Completed 6/5/05 (about 1 hour after receiving A:M)

Instructor - Manual and Art of Animation Master tutorial video by ???

Exercise_1.tga

• Admin

Doug,

Oooo... nice 3D Keekat! :)

Congrats on receiving your copy of Animation:Master.

I think it's great that you aren't wasting any time getting into the exercises.

I envision lots of fun (and serious) splining ahead for you.

Concerning who put the exercises (both video and manual) together I'm embarrassed to say I'm not entirely sure. I know Steve did a lot of work with them but I'm not positive where credit is due on each. I'll try to remedy that but the Hash team is sometimes shy about publishing such credits. I think they seem to favor getting team credit for the effort.

Their efforts don't go unappreciated though.

So thanks to everyone that has contributed to TAoA:M and made it what it is today.

Rodney

• Admin

Josh,

I'm sorry to say your attached TGA file appears to be corrupted. It is 0KB in size... no data there to see. :(

Can you look on your side again and repost?

Thanks ...and Welcome aboard TAoA:M! :)

Rodney

I post the info for Exercise 1 like this, right? (Hopefully, I uploaded the image correctly!)

Name: MerGirl

Exercises Completed: 1

Simple, but good for starters. (I really want to start modeling asap, though.)

Date Completed: July 7, 2005

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: What's this? Um, oh, NOTE/TIP to others: I learned not to leave open the library or any other big menu thing while rendering because the Library caused the program to crash.

post-22-1120786570.jpg

• Admin

MerGirl, (Can I call you Mer for short?) ;)

Welcome aboard TAoA:M!

Your picture is showing just fine.

Its a simple exercise but your personal touch and adding of characters shows your willingness to go above and beyond. It demonstrates your desire to learn as well. That a great thing in my opinion.

I've heard a few reports of problems with Libraries.

I'd be interested in knowing what version and system you are on in order to troubleshoot and remove any obstacles that currently exist when using the Libraries. I've seen a few posts indicating v12 and Mac Library issues but nothing confirmed as of yet.

Best,

Rodney

Yes, I've heard about problems with the Library too (and encountered it too soon, I guess). I'm guessing it's perhaps because my computer cannot handle the opened-up Library at the same time while rendering... At least, that's what I'm guessing.

I thought before it was maybe because I put too many actors, so I put KeeKat in alone, then rendered with Library open. Same thing happened: The rendering freezes, then, if I remember correctly, some sort of error window pops up. And then I think that's when my program crashes... Oh, and my program also crashes sometimes when I try to save something.

I think my computer and/or my version of A:M must hate me or something...

My computer system uses Windows XP. For the A:M version, I checked my Hash folder, and it says: "V10.5". Oh, and on my CD, there is a fuzzy monster thing.

------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

Exercise 1: You're the Director

------------------------------------

An introduction to the Animation Master interface and basic navigation in a Choreography. Approximate time to complete: 20 Minutes

post-22-1081911020.jpg

Example from Exercise 1 by Dan Roberts

Break out The Art of Animation Master manual and turn to page 15. Take a nice look at the picture on page 14 by Den Beauvais and realize you are now on your way to mastering the art of animation. Each exercise video can be either viewed online or downloaded as well:

Web/Online (6.6MB)

Download Exercise 1 Zip ( 6.34MB)

It may be useful to watch the video first and then read along as you complete the exercise.

Workflow

While Exercise 1 is primarily an exercise in familiarity with the A:M User interface don't run through this exercise too quickly... there is a lot you can miss!

For further exploration keep the following questions in mind as you work through Exercise 1:

What is the function of a Library?

What is a Pose?

How do Libraries and Poses relate to the concept of a Talent Pool?

Shortcut Keys

At the end of Excercise 1 there is an introduction to A:M Keyboard Shortcuts. These keys can prove to be VERY useful so keep them handy.

Z - Zoom

Shift Z - Zoom fit

M - Move

T - Turn

7 - Default Render

8 - Wireframe Render

9 - Shaded Wireframe render

0 - Shaded and Wireframe render

On the number pad:

0 - Bottom View

1 - Camera View

2 - Front View

4 - Left View

5 - Top View

6 - Right View

7 - Bird's Eye View

8 - Back View

Here is an even more extensive listing of shortcuts: A:M Keyboard Shortcuts

name: Linda s. Hill ex completed: ex 1 your the director date completed: June 14, 2005 Instructor: Den Dotson

director2.mov

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Jim MacQuarrie

Exercise Completed: Ex. 1 You're The Director

Date Completed: August 6, 2005

Instructor: The book and this online tutorial thingy.

I've dabbled in Strata StudioPro and Adobe Dimensions years ago, and originally bought A:M back in 2001, but never had much time to opportunity to mess with it. Finally I bought the upgrade and I'm really gonna do it this time. Woohoo!

Lesson1.avi

• Admin

Linda and Jim,

Congrats on beginning the exercises.

Working your way through The Art of Animation:Master is the best guarantee toward maximizing your success with A:M.

Here's hoping many others will follow your lead.

Best,

Rodney

P.S. Sorry for the delay in responding Linda.

Name: Charlie Dyer

Exercise Completed: Ex. 1 You're The Director

Date Completed: August 11, 2005

Instructor: Dotson

And, my frst question... Why does the renderer, when setting for a single frame, render 2 files (in this case: ur director.tga and ur director0.tga)?

Okay, and a second question. Why can't I upload a tga file?

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You cannot upload this type of file

But here's a JPG of it:

ur_director0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Melissa Heldenbergh

Exercises Completed: 1

Date Completed: Sept 7th, 2005

Instructor: A few years of A:M use under my belt and web tutorials, plus also doing the mentor program with Paul Daley.

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: None, it's been years since I've done the The Art of Animation Master exercises *dusts off book*, *coughs*. I think, I'm going to include my TARDIS model in every render.

post-22-1126130645.jpg

Name: Bill Woelbeling

Exercises Completed: Just 1 for now

Date Completed: 8-Sept-2005

Instructor: Community Support

Comments: I modified the exercise a bit. My CPU appears to be allergic to KeeKats so I used the rabby instead.

This could be dangerous. If I follow this course of action, I will have to break my 10 year tradition of owning AM, using AM, but never actually producing anything!

rab0.jpg

I haven't figured out how to be part of the TWO team and not produce anything (other than scathing criticism and lowering team morale).

:D

Actually, Martin's requirement to be TAO:AM and Bootcamp certified to work on the TWO project is a darned good idea. I can't speak for others but I know that I looked at both of those courses and deamed myself "above" doing them. While exercise #1 hasn't done much for me, I can surely tell you that most all of the other exercises in TAO:AM alone have something for me to learn. I don't know if I'll be qualified by the time TWO animation gets underway but just maybe I'll be ready for the next group project.

Bill

(Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit)

p.s. People are listing instructors... Did I miss something? Should we request an instructor or is that a personal thing like the mentor/apprentice program?

• Admin
(Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit)

Hey! This is your forum... hijack away.

I really like the extra commentary. People are almost always amazed by what they find in the manual. Those who *think* they know what is in the manual are missing out!

Charlie, Melissa, Chris, Bill and Mark... thanks for posting. :)

*Note to posters: I'm temporarily without ability to see movie files (MOV, AVI etc). Keep posting them though and I'll try to catch up!

Update: I can now get the aforementioned files moved over to my laptop for viewing... life is improving...

Edited by Rodney

• Admin

Bill typed:

People are listing instructors... Did I miss something? Should we request an instructor or is that a personal thing like the mentor/apprentice program?

If you are fortunate to have a personal instructor (Hi Den Dotson!) then feel free to list them. This was originally included for the sake of teachers who have their students post here in the forum. Its caught on as an entry for each post and yes there are some Mentors listed. In some cases they agreed to take them on as apprentices even though they hadn't completed TAoA:M (i.e. the waiver thing). Always interesting to see what people type there. :D

If you want you can put: 'Self Taught', an entry of your choosing or remove the entry altogether.

Rodney

Name: Dhar Jabouri

Exercises Completed: 1- You're the Director

Date Completed: 09-09-2005

Instructor: On-line tutorials

Comments: I've done all the tutorials when I got A:M and then went ahead and made an animated short (which is too big to upload). So, now I'd like to get certified so that I may join Hash sponsored projects B)

post-22-1126297622.jpg

Name: Nicole Bakos

Exercises Completed: Exercise 1: You're the Director

Date Completed: 09/10/2005

Instructor: AM Manual AND http://www.s1.hashmirror.com/ftp/VM/EX1Director/

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I have been using AM since 1997 and really appreciate how well this program works and how fast you guys fix problems when the occur. When I read the forum articles the other day I was excited to hear that you would like everybody to participate in TWO. I think this is a great motivator for people to learn how to use this wonderful tool that you have created and I believe you will see more people enter into both image and animation contest. I also like the fact that you provide a certificate upon completing TAOA:M. I look forward to completing all the exercises and getting my certificate (which I will frame).

post-22-1126403239.jpg

Edited by nlbakos

Name : Erik Kirschberg

Exercises Completed : Exercise 1 : Your the Director

Date Completed 9/10/05

Instructor : A:M Comunity

Comments : I went through all the TAoA:M Excercises about a year and a half ago when I first bought this great program. Its been a while since i've done anything with the program so i figureded i'd redo the exercises to refresh my skills and get certification for TWO

post-22-1126410944.jpg

• Admin
I also like the fact that you provide a certificate upon completing TAOA:M. I look forward to completing all the exercises and getting my certificate (which I will frame).

Thanks for that. Knowing that people see value in their certificate definitely assures me that we are doing the right thing with the TAoA:M certificates.

That's also one of the reasons I personalize each one. :)

You guys are worth it!

Rodney

Hi, everyone. I've been using A:M since June and have made a couple of fairly complete character models. A lizardman (still working out textures and actions) and my Red Demon (just need some actions and phenomes).

I was planning on making a short trailer for a story I am writing. Now that I know about this movie project, I need my certificate to participate and get all the experience I can get.

I have already gotten some excellent tips from a few other "Fellows" and they are working out great. Glad to be part of A:M community! :D

Well, Ex 1 down....Here is KeeKat!

post-22-1126886827.jpg

• Admin
Where do I post my completed excersises. What file(s) do I post?

Mark,

It looks like you've already figured it out. The posting of exercise results alone is a valuable lesson for a lot of people. Especially those not as familiar with file formats, forums and attachments. In this day and age I think every animator needs to be as web-savy as they can be.

Glad to have you with us too. I've already seen the results of a few other exercises and you seem to have the knack for modeling and animation.

If you've only had Animation:Master since June... color me impressed!

Rodney

Now that I know about this movie project, I need my certificate to participate and get all the experience I can get.

Hey Rodney,

Looks like Martin has really made your Certificate one sought after item ... I guess most people don't know that $65 got me this:

Wouldn't want the "Hash Top Man" to find out that Rodney can be bought :)

I'm working on the exercises and was wondering if I could just put all of them on geocities, and add a link in the proper forum topics. Since many of the later exercises use movies and multiple pictures to complete, I thought that would be the best way to do it. Also, should I save the orginial targas and avis, or is it okay to convert to jpgs and mov files? Just wondering about the proper way to show my results. Thanks in advance for the helping the noob.

• Admin
Wouldn't want the "Hash Top Man" to find out that Rodney can be bought

Thanks for the defense Dhar.

Gale was the first ever to recieve a certificate so he's given some latitude in humor. ;)

He also knows that it would take a lot more than $65 to buy me! ...it would take at least $75...

The certificates mean a lot to me even if they mean nothing to the average person.

I take time to personalize each one and I certainly wouldn't bother if I thought it was worthless to the recipient. If you've completed TAoA:M you are unique among A:M Users... you deserve some praise.

Hopefully I don't take too much time to get everyone's certificates out though.

Remind me if I owe you one everybody!

I think I owe 2 right now. I'm updating the basic certificate a little for the current round of participants.

Best,

Rodney

Achilles Desire wrote:

was wondering if I could just put all of them on geocities, and add a link in the proper forum topics.

You sure can! I'll let you know if I'm having problems accessing the files.

Keep in mind that many of the popular free sites won't let you hot link the images into the forum though.

Rodney

Gale was the first ever to recieve a certificate so he's given some latitude in humor.

He also knows that it would take a lot more than $65 to buy me! ...it would take at least $75... <kiddin!>

The certificates mean a lot to me even if they mean nothing to the average person.

I take time to personalize each one and I certainly wouldn't bother if I thought it was worthless to the recipient. If you've completed TAoA:M you are unique among A:M Users... you deserve some praise.

Rodney, I think you've done a wonderful job on the Certificates. And without question, you deserve mucho respect for your time & dedication.

You should be proud of the numerous Certificates printed & signed to date ... both you and Martin deserve the highest respect & you both will always get it fm me ;)

I would also add that if it were not for you & the help you've given ... many a "new user" would have given up ... and walked away ...

G. Wells

HEY ... is the world tour over yet?

Thanks for the defense Dhar.

Gale was the first ever to recieve a certificate so he's given some latitude in humor. ;)

Yeah, that's what I gathered. Too bad voice intonations don't carry thru in written words.

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I appreciate your contributions very much. I look forward to receiving the certificate from you. I will frame it and hang it on the wall above my computer screen. But more importantly, I appreciate your positive attitude, endless encouragement, and your selflessness. All admirable qualities that are all too rare these days.

p.s. I'm taking a break away from the excercises in preparation for the upcoming movie contest due Oct. 7th. :blink: Once I send it in I'll get right back to it.

Name: JD Scruggs

Exercises Completed: Exercise 1: You're the Director

Date Completed: 09/11/2005

Instructor: AM Manual AND Forum

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:Nice intro to program

alright sorry about the double image on that post, guess I got a little too clickey clickey with the mouse.

post-7616-1128256170_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1128256262_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Great to have you with us Michel!

...and a belated welcome to John Kuepper and JD Scruggs too.

For all you waiting in the wings there is no better time than the present to get involved, collaborate and complete the Art of Animation:Master.

Rodney

Name: Splinesmith(Kurt Lange)

Exercises Completed:6

Instructor:the manual and maybe the online tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement:

I actually did some of these earlier this month and I just now got around to posting which is why I say six, the other exercise renders I will post in their respective forum sections.

post-41-1128485575_thumb.jpg

Name: Charles Wardlaw

Exercises Completed: This one.

Date Completed: 12 October 2005

I figured I'd post some of my exercise work in case I wanted to take part in TWO next year. Here's my excercise 1. He saw me before I had my morning coffee. Poor bastard.

post-4009-1129128649_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Kurt, James and Charles,

Great to have you joining in.

Whether moving on to Tin Woodsman of Oz or other projects I hope you'll find TAoA:M to be a profitable experience.

Challenge each other... think beyond the book... and most importantly have a lot of fun.

Rodney